“Best salsa ever”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

Saw Mex 1 from the road while visiting Charleston and thought it look cool so we decided to give it a try. We were greeted by a friend staff and seated very quickly. The restaurant has a cool atmosphere and is very fun and colorful. The food was good I had the cantina chicken taco which was good just not amazing. I'm a cheesy taco kind of girl but these tacos were made of really fresh ingredients. The best part of the meal was the fresh salsa and chips. I could have eaten my weight in it. You could just tell how fresh the ingredients were. Chips were even warm and fluffy. I will definitely be going back.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

We didn't have high hopes for this fairly new Mexican cantina along busy St. Andrews Blvd in Charleston, and were pleasantly surprised by our dining experience. The parking is a little difficult but additional spaces in the back helped. The cantina is decked out as a surfers hangout with all overhead TVS showing surfing videos. We were offered a choice of a highboy table or regular. Opting for the regular we were promptly seated and a bowl of warm tortilla chips and salsa was brought to the table. The furniture is pretty standard and the room features a large bar along one end. I have to say the margarita I was served was superb - made with fresh juice and just the right amount of tang! There is a fairly extensive beer selection. The food menu is limited: tacos, quesadillas, and sandwiches called tortas. My husband tried the cilantro lime chicken quesadilla which he enjoyed. I went for the carnitas tortas which came with my choice of a side. Aside from the simmered pork the sandwich was layered with a Serrano jicama slaw and a lime flavored sauce. I opted for a side salad with a lime cilantro dressing - sort of similar to a ranch style dressing. My sandwich was delicious! What I most appreciated was that the food was not too spicy. For the spicy lovers there was a whole array of hot sauces available on one side of the cantina.
Our server was quick and checked in periodically but didn't have the usual friendliness one sees in most Charleston restaurants. Too bad, but in any case the food made up for that. I would say this would be a god place for a nice lunch, or a quick and simple weekday dinner.
We are definitely going back for more!

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Best salsa ever. Brought some home to Ohio to show the locals how it should be done. All food selections we tried were excellent. Atmosphere is lively if not Latin. Mex1 will remain on the must visit list.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

Great concept! Even better food and service! Alway a great place to have a meeting or stop in for dinner and a beer. Mellody is always super hospitable!

Reviewed October 24, 2013

This restaurant is a great addition to West Ashley. We are very close by and it is a nice treat to go and enjoy fresh homemade salsa, fresh guacamole dip with wonderful hot and salty chips.
The beer is cold and the margaritas are great. The service is very good and exceptionally friendly. We are slowly working our way through the menu and each item we try has been very good. Give it a try I do believe you will find it an enjoyable and delicious experience!!