“Friendly little cafe in a very unique setting”
Review of Persimmon Cafe

Persimmon Cafe
Ranked #126 of 910 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Soups
Dining options: Lunch, Delivery
Description: Persimmon is a causal cafe offering gourmet sandwiches & paninis, as well as homemade sides, soups & hand spun custards. With quality ingredients and genuine hospitality we aim to give Charleston a unique cafe experience. We are located just blocks away from King St, MUSC (Medical University of South Carolina) & CofC (College of Charleston).
Clearwater, Florida
“Friendly little cafe in a very unique setting”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I chanced upon this cafe in Charleston on the morning of July 4th, when many other restaurants were closed. I'll admit the location was a little off-putting initially, as the cafe occupies an area within a laundromat, which was a first for me! My husband I I walked in and spoke to the owner, who was just opening for the day. We were looking for breakfast, which they don't officially serve. However, the owner graciously offered to make us a panini breakfast sandwich of ham and gruyere, which we gratefully accepted. The sandwich was yummy - had a nice hint of maple, was perfectly grilled, and the ham and cheese were of great quality. I also ordered a rosemary iced tea with agave. When I mentioned the tea was a little too sweet for me, he quickly made a new one using less agave. While this cafe has a limited menu due to it's location, the quality of what they do serve is excellent and the service is absolutely wonderful. You can also add "I had a meal at a cafe in a laundromat" to your list of firsts.

• Visited July 2013

Virginia
“Who needs a broiler when you have a blow torch?”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

If you’re looking for something that’s “off the beaten path,” you’ve found it. Perched on a nondescript corner of Calhoun street, Persimmon Cafe is nestled into an unused corner of a laundromat. Yep. The kind with industrial-sized front-loaders and wheeled wire carts. You can either order your food to go, or perch at the bar counter in front of the windows and watch street traffic.

They work under the guise of a coffee shop, but don’t let the primitive setup fool you — Chef Robert knows what he’s doing. My friend Stephanie and I were able to sample the made-from-scratch vegetable and black bean soups, both of which were delicious (and I don’t normally care for vegetable soup), as well as the vanilla lemonade and the basil limeade. I ordered a tall glass of the vanilla lemonade and the grilled zucchini Panini with red onion, fontina cheese, and pistachio pistou (kind of like pesto, except with pistachios instead of pine nuts I think).

Like any true visionary, Chef Robert doesn’t let minute details like the fact that he doesn’t have an actual kitchen stop him from coming up with unique ways to serve real food to people who might also just happen to be waiting for a load of delicates to dry. Like his Nutella frozen custard with toasted marshmallows. Wow! I mean… who needs a broiler when you have a blow torch?

• Visited June 2013
Charleston, South Carolina
“Best quick lunch spot-from a local”
Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

This spot is a hidden gem! With fresh food, a menu updated daily and good prices you can't go wrong! Right off Calhoun street it's a neat local within a laundromat. You may be skeptical but the food is to die for! This maybe my favorite new lunch spot! If it's on the menu get the caprese. The fig jam is amazing and the mozzarella cheese...YUM! Do yourself a favor and go here!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Meredith B
o
“Yum!!!”
Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

Great little neighborhood spot to eat! All made from scratch food, and nice people. I think most of the food is locally sourced too. I saw they had frappes there and I'm definitely trying one next time.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank jka47
Greenville, South Carolina
“Doing laundry is no longer a chore with this gem!”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stumbled along this place on the way to class this morning. My boyfriend and I wanted to test it out because we like to see what new places are popping up around the city. The owners were extremely friendly and knowledgable about absolutely everything. I had one of the most delicious salads (goat cheese crab pistachio and grilled zucchini with a honey mustard balsamic vinaigrette.) needless to say, I will be back and so will the dozens of people who I will recommend persimmon cafe to.

5 Thank Klvictor