“A bar dedicated to only IPAs”

Craftsmen Kitchen & Tap House
Reserve with OpenTable
Craftsmen Kitchen & Tap House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #84 of 936 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: A celebration of craft beer with 48 taps and many rare & seasonal bottles. We serve handcrafted, traditionally made food, including house made sausages, our Farmhouse burger, fresh seafood and farm fresh vegetables.
Reviewed August 24, 2013

The beer choices are incredible. They have two bars one with nothing but IPAs. I think they had at least 12 on tap. We did several appetizers and split the burger. All excellent.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Way to go guys. What was Johnson's is now a hip spot that I'll be back to. I took some friends here who were visiting from Atlanta and we were all impressed with the beer selection and atmosphere. I haven't had a chance to try the food yet but I will since I was just enamored with the beer selection and value. Continue past the front bar area and head towards the back for a cool spot right in the heart of downtown.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

They have an IPA room with about 15 tap beers and the other part of the bar has about 30. Being the craft beer person that I am, we hit this place up twice during our visit to Charleston. The inside is awesome and the bartenders are very knowledgeable about the beer. The food is quite good as well. This is very hidden in the alley so you have to almost know where it is to get there. We were recommended by a waiter at another restaurant to go here. I will definitely hit this place up next time we are in Charleston!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

The much-talked-about restaurant has completely transformed what used to be that bar we all loved but never remembered, Johnson’s, into a awesome little beer garden restaurant. The actual “beer garden” portion is quite small, but they’ve got the authentic-looking Bavarian tables, so I’m sold on liking everything about it.

If you claim to be a beer garden, then you can damn well count on me sampling your most German-sounding dish, in hopes of calling your bluff. At Craftsmen, the CUMBERLAND SAUSAGE ($12) would be that dish. Served atop an awesome rich pile of sweet potato, green apple and red cabbage, it was a very sweet and rich meal. The sausage, ground in-house like the burger, was great; again with a nice hearty, rich flavor. Throw in a little hot mustard, and you’ve got a twist on the Bavarian classic that they pulled off quite well.

McCown tried the FARMHOUSE BURGER ($9) with beef, pork, Idiazabal beer pickles and bibb lettuce. The server explained that, being a blend of 75 beef, 25 pork, it could only be cooked to temperature (guess pork tar tar isn’t desirable?). As burgers go, it had very fresh, beef taste. The pork part really makes it rich and damn near addictive. It is served with great huge, thick potato slices with aioli. Don’t want to exaggerate, but this might be one of the top contenders for best burger in town.

With a plethora of beers on tap and a very inviting rustic and casual atmosphere, Craftsmen is certainly the beer lovers’ answer to Social Wine Bar.

I liked it so much that I tried, unsuccessfully, to return Sunday night. Alas, this is more of a man’s restaurant and McCown had her fill for the time being.

BOTTOM LINE: Listen guys, the draft beer selection is nearly endless, the food hearty and rustic and the tables are, in fact, outside, making this a very legit beer garden right in downtown Charleston.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stumbled upon this gem last Saturday night with some friends, and we were not disappointed. We met the owner (Philip) outside, so personable and nice that we decided to go in. Recently remodeled and looks amazing. Some things that stuck out: copper back bar (wow), booths that didn't stick to my legs, clean bathrooms (on a Saturday night after 11pm), Carolina wood for the tables, GREAT selection of beer on tap ( loved my Holy City;), casual/professional atmosphere, and music was loud enough to be heard but not so loud that you couldn't have a normal conversation with the person next to you.
We had such a great time that we came back the next day for a late lunch and again had a wonderful experience. The host was super welcoming, and our waitress, Abby, was straight up amazing. She answered every question I had about several different beers, knew the menu extremely well, and was accommodating to the endless needs of 5 women and a 4 year old :) Then came the food...fantastic! I had a burger (made of beef/pork,yum) served with fried potatoes and some kind of dip that I wanted to buy a jar of. Also ordered the cabbage hash (with grilled onions and ham), delicious. Others at the table had a shrimp dish, catfish, and a sausage flatbread. (I tasted everything, all of it was great.) Also love that they have a "staple" side of the menu and a "seasonal" side.
Craftsmen has only been opened for about a month, and they're doing it right so far. This will most definitely be a stop when I visit Charleston!