“Top pick for shellfish and other seafood in Charleston”
Review of The Ordinary

The Ordinary
Ranked #40 of 910 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Top pick for shellfish and other seafood in Charleston”
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful restoration and conversion of an old bank building into a chic restaurant, bank vault included. My group of three shared the triple tower (steamed shrimp, scallop ceviche, clams on the half shell, oysters on the half shell, special house oysters "Moscow" with vodka and caviar, stone crab claws, and a whole lobster all of which went perfectly with a nice Sancerre. I could have stopped there but my out of town guests were so overwhelmed, we kept going with triggerfish schnitzel, skate wing and potato terrine, fried oyster sliders, crab louie, house made sea salt potato chips, and more! Another bottle of wine also. The wine selections are good, not pretentious and easy to pair with the menu which changes daily. Service was friendly and perfect. And did I mention the crusty sourdough bread?

Visited April 2013

Los Angeles, California
“The Ordinary was ordinary. Not bad not great.”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Ive had better lobster rolls. Forgot what my husbands steak was unremarkable. We did not have anything from the raw bar and maybe thats why we didnt have an amazing experience?

Visited March 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Favorite in Charleston”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I love this place. We sat at the raw bar (without a reservation the wait for a table would have been rough) and ordered some really great oysters. The ambiance is fun, and the interior of the old bank is pretty cool. The entrees and drinks were fantastic; I really enjoyed my black bass and the GF enjoyed her lobster roll, which was bursting with meat. We split a delicious dessert.

Add in the attentive service and I can't recommend it enough.

• Visited April 2013
Charleston, South Carolina
“Great atmosphere and loved it for apps and drinks but not convinced I would want to stay for an entree.”
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

This was our first stop of 3 restaurants for our 10th anniversary night out. We were blown away by the decor and ambience, but immediately noticed the loud noise. We got seats right away at the bar and the service was top notch. The lobster ceviche and baked oysters hit the spot for starters. The entrees served to the folks nearby looked tasty but we were in the mood for more than just seafood.

• Visited April 2013
Firenze
“Outstanding new restaurant”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

This has been voted one of five best new restaurants in the US. I haven't visited the others, but I've eaten here twice and will again tomorrow, and I've been delighted every time. The raw oysters are sensational (get the plumper ones); one day I had the tuna tartare and loved it; the cold boiled shrimp are well prepared. Friends had the lobster roll and enjoyed it. We've always gone fairly early, but I imagine it gets noisy later in the evening. From the owner of FIG, also one of our local favs--and you can made reservations for The Ordinary on Open Table. Also a very nice setting--an architecturally masterful conversion of a former bank.

Visited March 2013