“There is nothing ordinary about the prices.”
Review of The Ordinary

The Ordinary
Ranked #40 of 910 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Columbia, SC
“There is nothing ordinary about the prices.”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Even with all the warnings from earlier reviews, the extremely high prices are still a bit of shock. Paying $36 for a dozen oysters seems ordinarily excessive, in light of the fact, that most other restaurant shuck the same Oysters for about $24 a dozen. Should we believe these exact same oysters are 30% better at the Ordinary than everywhere else? OK, enough on the prices, on with the review of the meal.

Our meal consisted of major highs and a couple major lows.

Lows:
Having to pay for Bread at a restaurant that is already overpriced seems a bit excessive, especially when those rolls seem to be nothing more than cocoanut flavored, cafeteria style roles. Sorry, I said enough on the prices. Let’s move on.

The wife’s Lobster bisque had a nice flavor but the texture of Puree of Seafood mystery meat was a major turn off. It is even more of a turn off when you are expecting chucks of lobster in your Lobster Bisque.

The Highs
The wife’s Grilled Skipjack Tuna with Braised Tomato was well cooked. The Braised Tomato’s and sauce provided a nice spicy accompaniment to the firm meat of the Skipjack.

I ordered the New England style fish Stew. This stew is a classic potato soup with nice chucks of white fish. Over all a nice rendition of a classic New England fish stew.

I also had the Grouper with Spring Vegetables, and a Uni broth. My wife and I are both huge fans of Grouper, and this might have been the best ever. The fish was very moist on the inside, with a nice crusty sear on the out. The broth itself was indescribably delicious.

The service itself was perfect. From the time we walked in, sat at the bar waiting for our table, and during the meal itself we could not have asked for anything more

Overall with the highs in lows of the meal the restaurant is above average but not quite very good.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Mountaineer_Steve

Denver, Colorado
“Go for the Oyster experience!”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Now, I am NOT an avid oyster eater being from a land-locked state, but when in Rome (or Charleston in this case!)...
My trip to The Ordinary was with a group of about 20 people and unfortunately we had to split up - half upstairs, half downstairs, a few at the Oyster Bar - which was unfortunate, but they were excellent at accommodating our large group. My cocktail request was not on the menu, but the bartender obliged and made an excellent substitute. After perusing the menu, my Charleston hosts convinced everyone to order the Oyster Tower. No joke - this thing was packed full of fresh raw oysters and, while the price was a little shocking, it was able to feed everyone at the table (luckily there were fewer Oyster fans leaving more for the avid Oyster eater), but the experience alone was worth it. If you are not an Oyster fan, I highly recommend the lobster ceviche and the lobster roll. At $25, the roll may deter you, but it's a hefty portion and you are guaranteed to lick your plate afterwards. OH - and if you aren't one to shy away from a nice dinner roll - do yourself a favor and order a few plates of the Hawaiian rolls - a nice appetizer and dessert!
If you are an architecture nut like myself, you will fall in love with the building. Truly Charleston inside and out - a perfect pairing for a night out with friends!

• Visited January 2013
Charleston, South Carolina
“steep price for what your paying for, cool building”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

The building looks great, they did a good job with the old bank. I was not overly impressed with the food, for something raw, with nothing else added/cooked/prepared it was over-priced. As far as items that require the hand of a chef, I did enjoy the lobster ceviche.

• Visited February 2013
Charleston, South Carolina
“disappointing and over-hyped”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

The most polite thing I can say about "The Ordinary" is that it was very disappointing especially considering that it is a creation of the Fig Restaurant. With all of the outstanding restaurants in Charleston, my best advice is to try somewhere else.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank KNV_tamu
New York City, New York
“Died and gone to heaven”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Don't miss the oyster sliders..... and I don't even like oysters. We had the fruits de mer tower and oyster sliders and blue crab fritters. I could have just ordered 5 sliders.... exceptional and they have a very good wine list as well. Can't say I love the floor - those tiles always remind me of a bathroom but just keep your eyes focused ont he table!

• Visited February 2013