“Great Atmosphere, Fantastic Menu” 5 of 5 bubbles

Xiao Bao Biscuit
Ranked #110 of 895 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Great Atmosphere, Fantastic Menu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

My friend and I actually only stopped in to get cocktails at Xiao Bao Biscuit. However, all of the food around us looked and smelled delicious. Our cocktails were also really tasty and fresh. The restaurant is a refurbished car garage and both the inside and outside have a great atmosphere. It was very fun and the staff was comfortably attentive.

Visited March 2013

Charleston, South Carolina
“Overhyped, but worth a visit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

I was super excited to try XBB based on numerous accolades from various publications in town, as well as the word-of-mouth from around town. It's great to see the Cannonborough/Elliotborough neighborhoods developing and having local neighborhood joints. The restaurant is a refurbished fuel station and it's great to see it occupied. The decor and ambiance is great. Low lights, interesting light fixtures, and very laid back and casual vibe. It was pretty busy upon our arrival and we opted to eat at the bar. I am excited about any restaurant that serves Sing-ha. I ordered an okonomiyaki (fried cabbage pancake with a sunny side up egg) for my appetizer. This is the dish I had heard the most hype about, and it was pretty good. Very filling...could have had it as my entree. My partner ordered lamb and pork dumplings and reported that they were just ok.

I was surprised that none of their mains could be adapted to a vegetarian option. I thought I had read that all of their dishes could be adapted, but that was not the case. I opted for a tofu dish in bean broth simply because that was the only vegetarian main to chose from. My partner ordered the pan seared flounder only to be told it was sold out. He ordered the ramen as a second choice.

Now the strange part - our apps came out really quickly, and then our mains took about 45 minutes after the apps came out. Several tables that came in after us got their courses before we were served our mains.

The tofu was incredibly spicy. I love spicy food and I didn't particularly care for this dish. It felt like it was missing something...it was a little boring. My partner said the ramen was good, would have been better without the pork, and the egg did not add a whole lot to it.

The service was great. The staff seemed very well educated about all the menu offerings. Our server was amazing and apologetic about the wait time. She (unprompted) took off our beers and the dumplings from the check to compensate for our wait. While we did not expect this, it was much appreciated and she went above in beyond in doing this for us. She even brought me a cup of coconut milk to accompany how spicy the tofu dish was.

Because of the excellent service and great atmosphere, I will go back and give this another try...most likely for drinks and an app. For a full meal, I will definitely go pack to Co over XBB the next time I am craving Asian fusion.

As other reviewers have noted, you will emerge smelling like the grill. They definitely need to purchase a fry hood. Sit outside if the weather is nice.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
South Burlington, VT
“Didn't see THIS coming!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Talk about the unpretentious hosting the sublime. We're renting across Rutledge from Xiao Bao Biscuit for a week and have made an effort to try the offerings in the Rutledge - Spring Street area. We have made some great discoveries, but this may be the most surprising and enjoyable of all. We ordered and shared three lunch entrees: Congee, Okonomiyaki, and Broad Bean Wings. Oh, and a local as well as a Laotian beer. The wings were as spicy as advertised, the Congee was both delicious and large enough that everyone got a fair share. If you order the Okonomiyaki, get it with an egg dropped on top. One of the best ever ways to enjoy an egg. The staff at Xiao Bao were all friendly, welcoming, and attentive. It's worth a stop if you are in the area and worth the drive if you aren't. Really.

1 Thank SHB05403
“Funky and Cool Asian”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

After many friends raving about this restaurant we finally made it in this weekend and promptly fell in love with the ambiance and food. We ate at the bar and not only had the best food but the drinks were amazing. The bartender makes his own grenadine and bitters. He made some suggestions on the menu based on other things we like and everything was delicious. It is a limited menu but we felt everything on it was perfectly cooked and seasoned. Parking is a problem and it's on the corner of 2 one way streets. We ended up parking around the corner and walking to the restaurant. Totally worth the trip!

• Visited March 2013
Charleston, South Carolina
“Finally a Great Asian Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

What a great place to enjoy my birthday dinner with friends and family! It is a young atmosphere for sure, but a great vibe! The property used to be a gas station! The staff is super friendly and attentive and genuinely seemed to want us to enjoy our meal. The Okonomiyaki is a cabbage pancake with scallions, carrot and kale. It covers a whole plate and offers a delicious start to the meal! The Jiao Zi dumplings offer just the right amount of heat and acid.
The Tenri-style ramen w/ pork belly kimchi, greens & poached egg was just what I needed on a chilly evening after a tennis match! One friend enjoyed the flounder....wow...sublime..... another attempted the tofu soup.....not so good.... my husband ventured to try the duck. It was incredible, but super spicy. The server was so awesome. He sensed my husband's temperature rising and brought over a can of coconut milk, the PERFECT way to temper the fire! This is a great addition the downtown Charleston dining scene!!

• Visited February 2013