“Excellent Food and especially service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Burwell's Stone Fire Grill

Burwell's Stone Fire Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Burwell's Stone Fire Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 895 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: East Bay Street
Transit: Free Charleston Trolley stops next door at the Art Institute. Charleston Marriott also stops at the Art Institute.
Description: Burwell's, a pioneer of the Modern Steakhouse, unites with specific farms and ranches, most recently forging a powerful relationship with Snake River Farms for its exotic cuts, butcher selects, and above prime grades. The Award-Winning, casual steakhouse serves local, seasonal ingredients and its nose-to-tail efforts made famous by the "Hot Rock" program have caused quite a stir. Toss in the local seafood and vegetables and you'll find out why they've been the best kept secret in Charleston. Indoor - Outdoor Dining. "There is no other steak like it!"
Charleston SC
“Excellent Food and especially service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2014

Five us went to Burwell's to celebrate a birthday. I'd first like to say that our server, Alan, made the evening! He was super. We had Scallops, tenderloin, and the steak and lobster dish. All were prepared to perfection and delicious! We started with the appetizer shared for the table of rare beef which we put on a hot stone to cook to our taste. Along with the sauces this was special. The sauces were ample and even used with our steak entrees. Salads before dinner and the wine with dinner were also enjoyed.

My one complaint and the only reason for four vs. five stars is the noise. We sat in a booth away from the bar, but could hardly hear each other talk, even directly across or next to one another. I have no idea of the decibel level but jet planes come to mind. I have since downloaded the "decibel 10" app to measure restaurants in the future. I'd like to see more real noise level measurements in your reviews. I intend to do so. It is unlikely we will return simple for this reason.

• 2 of 5 bubbles

Andover
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Spectacular Service and Phenomenal Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2014

In a city abundant with amazing restaurants on every corner, Burwell's seems to rise to the top. The owner or manager greeted us personally and knew right away that we were celebrating a special day. He offered to send a bottle of champagne to our table with his compliments. Upon learning that I could not drink due to allergies, he immediately offered dessert! I could not believe the generous nature! He was so genuine and friendly! Next, our server, Andy, did not disappoint. He was so knowledgeable and always on point! I think we asked him 20 questions about the menu, and he was happy to answer them all. My husband was even interested in how the beef is raised for the steak. Andy obliged us in every way! Appetizers were delicious and fun (interactive cooking on the hot stones), and our steak dinners were out of this world! I had filet mignon (melted in my mouth) and my husband had a ribeye which he cleaned all the way to the bone, literally. I am sure that is not proper in this 5 star atmosphere, but he didn't care! Don't miss out if you are in Charleston! I loved this place and they made my anniversary dinner so memorable!

1 Thank sandyjoe66
Columbia, South Carolina
“Superb Burger and Cocktails”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2014

Dropped by Burwell's on a happy hour tour with my girlfriend, we're really glad we did.The place was dead so we toured the rooftop and dining area to get a feel for the atmosphere. Everything was well kept and seemed to be a perfect place to have a friendly or family celebration outing.

We decided that the $5 happy hour burger sounded like too good of a deal to pass up, so we split that along with some, what I would consider, gourmet deviled eggs. The eggs were unlike any I'd had, very flavorful and unique. The burger, my gf and I agree, was one of, if not the best burgers we'd ever had, I could have easily had another. We each had several delicious (and reasonably priced) cocktails, prepared by the friendly bar staff, to wash down the bites.

We will definitely be back to try the main experience and entrees, it will be hard to resist going straight for that burger though...

1 Thank Tyler C
ChsMarket, Owner at Burwell's Stone Fire Grill, responded to this review, September 8, 2014
Dear TylerC,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience via TripAdvisor. We are delighted to know the dining at Burwell's wassuperb. We look forward to welcoming you back on a future visit to Charleston!

Burwell's
Fredericksburg, Virginia, United States
“Excellent dinner and a pleasant experience.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2014

The owners appeared to pay great attention to detail, everything from the modern rustic atmosphere to the food presentation. The bar area was also comfortable to sit and wait while waiting for our table.
Even though it was a little loud and the seating was a little close in the area our table it was not enough to make you feel uncomfortable. The management came by on 2 occasions to see how we were doing at the beginning and how we liked the meal after we were served. The she crab soup was a treat and the steak was prepared to my liking with plenty of flavor.
We were satisfied with the drinks, food, and the overall experience. To my surprise 2 days later the manager contacted me personally by phone to thank us for coming and verifying our dinner experience.
Thank you very much, will definitely return the next time I am in Charleston.

1 Thank Willstravels_1
Dear Willstravels_1,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience via TripAdvisor. We are delighted to know the attention to detail is appreciated and that you found the food and service to be excellent. You have been around to your fare share of places, and it is especially nice to know we lived up to the many travels.

We look forward to welcoming you back on a future visit to Charleston!

The Brasserie Gigi staff
“Service and food were lacking”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2014

The space here is very nice, and the ceasar salad was good but the meal went down hill from there. We both ordered NY Strips and while the $33. price tag was reasonable, the steaks were just mediocre. Mine was tough; my friends was a bit better. They season their steaks with a blend of spices that included star anise, which is not my favorite. When the manager stopped by he acknowledged that sometimes the kitchen is too heavy handed with the spice. No apology offered. The final blow was when our server was pulled away to attend to a group of 8 women wearing crowns and suddenly another server appeared to offer us dessert. Our original server stopped back for a moment and never returned. Our check was dropped by server #2. All in all not a place I would return to or recommend.

Visited August 2014
Dear 3Sams,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience via TripAdvisor. We value and appreciate all guest feedback as it provides us with an opportunity to continually improve. We are disappointed to know your recent experience did not meet your expectations, and we will review all of your comments to determine how we may improve. Again, thank you for your specific insights and we hope to have the chance to serve you again in the future.

As a restaurant, we try to be different. Claiming better is silly, dangerous and something we've never done. There are some GREAT, GREAT places here in Charleston. Claiming different from spice, to soup, to crab cake style is just that - different. Usually those differences pay off in raves, while we also understand the risk. We were sorry to hear one of those differences did not meet your expectations. Our team should have immediately handled this better. We will pay attention to all future guest comments and always watch for trends.

I was most sorry to hear someone on our team said the "kitchen can be heavy handed." While we can make mistakes, they are rare due to our standards and training. I had not heard that and will watch for that comment in the future. I thank you for bringing this to our attention.

The Burwell's Team