“Such Fun”

Burwell's Stone Fire Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Burwell's Stone Fire Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #39 of 910 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: East Bay Street
Transit: Free Charleston Trolley stops next door at the Art Institute. Charleston Marriott also stops at the Art Institute.
Description: Burwell's, a pioneer of the Modern Steakhouse, unites with specific farms and ranches, most recently forging a powerful relationship with Snake River Farms for its exotic cuts, butcher selects, and above prime grades. The Award-Winning, casual steakhouse serves local, seasonal ingredients and its nose-to-tail efforts made famous by the "Hot Rock" program have caused quite a stir. Toss in the local seafood and vegetables and you'll find out why they've been the best kept secret in Charleston. Indoor - Outdoor Dining. "There is no other steak like it!"
Savannah, Georgia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Such Fun”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We took my husband's parent to Burwell's while they were visiting us last summer. Everyone let me choose the location and this was a great menu with lots of options and an upscale-casual atmosphere. I am very skeptical going out because I work in a restaurant. The host wasn't the most impressive, even though we ate very early and had reservations they didn't seem to know where to put us but our table was great. We had this really cool view of the grill where they were cooking the steaks and a huge fire would keep flaming up. Our server was so quirky and fun and quite knowledgeable. We ordered some appetizers which again took a little long but were well worth the wait! the salads were just as delicious! My mother-in-law who is vegetarian was nervous to be going to a steak house for dinner but the chef hand prepared her a special plate! the food was fantastic. My husband and I both got the plate where you cook your own steaks, its very unique! Even though working for your food isn't everyone's idea of a night out we both thought this was super fun! You could experiment with different temperatures and eat at your own pace. This was so much fun and such a cool environment! Did I mention the live piano player the whole dinner!?!?!

• Visited September 2013

south carolina
“Incredible experience”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

The atmosphere, uniquely prepared entrees and sides,as well as the impeccable service at this restaurant makes this one of our favorites here in Charleston. As "locals", my wife and I are fortunate to take advantage of the world class restaurants Charleston has to offer. Last night, the service was excellent(again!), but they featured a new pasture raised, local filet that was prepared perfectly - absolutely may have been the best steak I have ever had. We also loved the filet tip appetizer that was served on a hot stone and allowed us both to "cook" our tenderloins to our desired temps. Awesome!!!

• Visited March 2014
Jacksonville, North Carolina, United States
“Outstanding”
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

Dined here for our 15th wedding anniversary and was more than impressed. We started with a cheese plate and an appetizer of deviled eggs. Both plates were excellent. My wagyu steak was amazing along with the asparagus and my wife greatly enjoyed her surf and turf. Though she is more for the lobster, she raved about her steak. Looking forward to being back in the area for another meal.

Los Angeles, California
“A hidden gem - you must eat here!”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

My daughter and I traveled to Charleston for Admitted Students Weekend at the College of Charleston. Our first time visiting this beautiful city and we decided to take in as much as we could in our short time here. Hearing over and over that Charleston is a food city, I wanted to make sure that we found somewhere special to eat on Saturday night. After checking out some Yelp reviews, we decided on Burwell's. Our server Amanda was friendly, attentive and knowledgeable in the menu and the details of each dish. She recommended some of the more unusual dishes and was honest with us when a dish might be more predictable. At her recommendation, we started with an "on the rocks" appetizer. Raw, deckled beef served with a searing stone for us to cook the meat to our desired temperature. Served with a Port Wine Gorgonzola sauce and home-made sweet potato chips. My daughter was hesitant to try the gorgonzola sauce but Amanda encouraged her to give it a try and if she didn't like it she could request another sauce. Needless to say, the dish was amazing from beginning to end - gorgonzola sauce included. We shared another appetizer - a flatbread with lobster, sausage and an aioli sauce. We didn't care for it and left most of it on the platter. Also at Amanda's recommendation was the "melt in your mouth" filet mignon. We shared that along with a side of asparagus with a fried egg on top (different and delicious) and duo of brussels sprouts (oven roasted and then sautéed). The filet mignon was a generous serving, tender with delicious flavor. The side dishes were fresh, delicious and an interesting twist on old standards. For dessert we shared "s'mores" - bite sized peanut butter mousse covered in chocolate with a homemade toasted marshmallow on top; and "ice cream sandwiches" - brownie cookies made with cocoa puffs surrounding homemade ice cream with white chocolate straws on top. Ah-mazing! Toward the end of our meal the owner came to our table and introduced himself. He let me know that he had taken the flatbread off of our bill. I told him that it wasn't necessary to do that since we had tried something new and just didn't care for it. He insisted that he would not charge us for it since we didn't eat it and he was sincerely interested in why we didn't care for it. For us, it just had too many things going on. Every other item that we ordered was simple, elegant and unique. Those were the dishes that we enjoyed the most. I was very impressed with him for taking the time to talk to us and because I was not at all expecting to have that dish removed from our bill, I was all the more surprised when he did.

Should my daughter decide to attend College of Charleston this Fall, she has already decided that Burwell's will be the restaurant of choice for her birthday dinner in September. I am looking forward to it!

• Visited March 2014
Atlanta, GA
“Great Cocktails with Rooftop Deck”
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

Ok, the rooftop isn't scenic, but it's nice to enjoy an outdoor space when the weather is cooperating and the drinks are outstanding. Check out the Spring Fever for something refreshing or The Colonial. We didn't eat here, so can't judge the food.