“Excellent Food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Burwell's Stone Fire Grill

Burwell's Stone Fire Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Burwell's Stone Fire Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 895 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: East Bay Street
Transit: Free Charleston Trolley stops next door at the Art Institute. Charleston Marriott also stops at the Art Institute.
Description: Burwell's, a pioneer of the Modern Steakhouse, unites with specific farms and ranches, most recently forging a powerful relationship with Snake River Farms for its exotic cuts, butcher selects, and above prime grades. The Award-Winning, casual steakhouse serves local, seasonal ingredients and its nose-to-tail efforts made famous by the "Hot Rock" program have caused quite a stir. Toss in the local seafood and vegetables and you'll find out why they've been the best kept secret in Charleston. Indoor - Outdoor Dining. "There is no other steak like it!"
Green Brook, New Jersey
“Excellent Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

The reason we visited Burwell's was my daughter's wedding rehearsal dinner....this was a good choice! We were upstairs in a quaint rustic room all to ourselves....the service was excellent and the food was wonderful. You must try the deviled eggs...they are not like anything you have ever tried before....everyone raved about them. The spinach salad was wonderful the the presentation was delightful. Filet mignon was cooked to perfection...this is a great steakhouse. We also had a "welcome party" on the rooftop bar adjacent to the dining area which was more than fun. If I were ever in Charleston again I would definitely visit Burwells...excellent!

Visited July 2013

Goose Creek
“Dinner with friends”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

The evening started with drinks at the bar for my wife,son,daughter in-law and myself. The bartender was great (forgot name but new to Charleston) the drinks were even better...it was nice to find Gentleman Jack in the bar...we were joined for dinner by my other son,wife to be and his future in-laws... the service was great.. I had the Rib eye cooked to a perfect med-rare. My son had the bone in rib eye which he said was fantastic... my other son who chose this restaurant ordered the Cut rib eye appetizer which was both fun and outstanding...He also said that this bar was a GREAT place for HAPPY HOUR! 1/2 Price APPS!!! Date of Meal was Sunday July 21,2013

• 5 of 5 bubbles
“Decent food outshined by horrible service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Seems like the back of the house at Burwell's is much more advanced than the front of the house as we had a pretty good meal, but it was really overshadowed by a disorganized service. We sat at the bar to eat and while the bartender was pleasant, he was slow and seemed to get flustered easily. We had to wait way too long for every step - getting menu, taking drink/food order, getting check and then receipt. The restaurant was not that busy to result in the major delays. The manager of the front of the house was not better - seems the bad service trickles down. By the team we finally ordered, my husband and I both got a starter - he soup, me salad. We also order the main means - steak and lobster. Unfortunately, we got both of the courses delivered to us at the same time by the manager, and with NO acknowledgement at all of the fact that we were getting our first course with our main meal. It is a shame to have to decide between warm soup and warm steak...... Then to end the night, we had to BEG for our check only to then wait about 10 more mins to get the bartenders attention to give us our card and receipt back after we watched him run it as soon as we gave it to him. He just sat on it and we were forced to hail him down. It basically made us simply more and more anxious to get out of there vs stay and enjoy it.

What a shame because really, the food was not bad. I understand he restaurant is a bit new - seems they have some things to iron out.

Visited July 2013
ChsMarket, Owner at Burwell's Stone Fire Grill, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Wow, I am sorry. We take great pride in our bar being equal to our high dining standards. I followed up with a personal note to you hoping to discover more and be sure to invite you back. I can't find your name in our system, tried to call the Hotel you also reviewed, and we appreciate your taking the time to let us know something went wrong. Feel free to contact us at the restaurant anytime. You may ask for me (Ken) personally.

Thank you.
Lakeland, Florida
“Lucky Choice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

My wife and I spent a night in Charleston on the way back from the mountains. Had trouble finding a restaurant at the last minute. We were able to get in to Burwell's. Had a libation at the bar, listening to the fine pianist, then sat down for diner. We both had shrimp and grits which was excellent, and shared the she crab soup which was out of this world. The service was excellent as well. Will go back next time in Charleston.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for dining with us, and we appreciate your choice in us. Most guests come from local insight more than luck, but we appreciate luck bringing you in. And even more so, we appreciate next time you visit you will join us a gain based on your experience here. That is what we strive for.

Thank you again, and see you next time.
Burwell's
Charleston, SC
“Excellent service, mediocre meal”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

The ambiance and the service at this restaurant were excellent, but unfortunately, we were disappointed in the meal. We wish we could say the meal was as good as the service, but sadly it was not. We got the rock candy appetizer, the house salad and surf & turf. Everything was just 'ok', nothing to write home about. The piano music was a nice touch, though very loud on the first floor where he was playing. We requested a quieter area so they put us upstairs which was much more tolerable. Our waiter was phenomenal and management greeted us after our meal was served and then again when we left the restaurant which tells me they are really trying to be a good restaurant.

• 3 of 5 bubbles