“Worth the time and money”

Burwell's Stone Fire Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Burwell's Stone Fire Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #54 of 968 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: East Bay Street
Transit: Free Charleston Trolley stops next door at the Art Institute. Charleston Marriott also stops at the Art Institute.
Description: Burwell's, a pioneer of the Modern Steakhouse, unites with specific farms and ranches, most recently forging a powerful relationship with Snake River Farms for its exotic cuts, butcher selects, and above prime grades. The Award-Winning, casual steakhouse serves local, seasonal ingredients and its nose-to-tail efforts made famous by the "Hot Rock" program have caused quite a stir. Toss in the local seafood and vegetables and you'll find out why they've been the best kept secret in Charleston. Indoor - Outdoor Dining. "There is no other steak like it!"
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I went to this restaurant on a whim with my fiance and my dear friend. We were shocked by the overall experience. The interior looked fantastic and gave a very relaxing/welcoming vibe. Once at our table, our waiter was extremely knowledgeable about the menu and was able to assist us in selecting our meals. I went in looking to get some seafood but by the end of the night I got the Prime new york strip. We each got a different steak and each one was utterly delicious. The appetizer "700 degree" stone was also a very good choice. My friend was very pleased with getting the bartenders choice of cocktail where they made something special/interesting based off your likes. I would recommend this place as a must to eat while in Charleston.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Our party of 9 people ate here for the first time on a recent Saturday night. Having heard the buzz (all positive) about this restaurant we were expecting a good meal, however it far surpassed "good"! We had a little bit of almost everything on the menu, from appies to entrees. Some of us chose to cook our own steaks on the stone, others chose the seafood, some had the shrimp and grits, no matter ... not one of us had anything we did not love. Service was impeccable, friendly and not stuffy, and when they ran out of the wine we were drinking the owner immediately substituted another (pricier) wine at the same cost as the original one.
We dine out a lot (!) and were super impressed by the food, bar and staff at Burwell's. We can't wait to go back.

1  Thank jabakk
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We decided to go here after reading the reviews on trip advisor. The reviews didn't let us down. The Filet of Flavor was incredible. It was pretty neat to be able to cook on a 700* hot plate. The sauces to dip in were really incredible as well. The macaroni was delicious as well. A little different than normal southern mac and cheese, but i loved it and ate every bite. The staff was incredibly nice. Talked with the owner (or manager) some about the ovens and cooking on the hot plate. Server was new, but did a great job. Wife enjoyed the burger, and I enjoyed the ribeye. Hope this place does well in Charleston and is around for a long time. Great atmosphere inside with a jazz pianist, and just a really cool place all around!

Reviewed June 14, 2013

To start off with I asked for a table days before we arrived and asked to be seated in the main room, I didn't want our party of 6 to be seated in a far off side room. The host told me it was a modern steak house, one big open room and a good table for us in the big room would be available. We arrived and were put upstairs, many many steps upstairs in a bland room. I grinned and beared it then the waitress came, well maybe 20 minutes later. She had a very beautiful hairdo and acted haughty, wanted to escape from our table fast every time we asked her something. The wait was very long. Three in our party asked for the steak on the stone and got regular steak dinners. We wanted water and other items and she was no where to be found. She served us in different time schedules it appeared. As we were ready for the bill my husband's caesar salad came. Then a side of brocolli came ... really. She was not interested, tuned in, caring or apologetic. Oh, no smile the whole time. I think she felt she had better things to do. I will never go back nor will we ever take friends there and spend hundreds of dollars to be seated upstairs with a non caring waitress who doesn't deliver.

ChsMarket, Owner at Burwell's Stone Fire Grill, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2013

Matt,

I personally took the reservation, reserved the best table on our loft since we discussed being in the wide open. I did not know you'd like to be downstairs, and many or our guests love the loft most. I personally apologize and have noted your comment for your next visit. I recall your table since we have so few remarks less than extraordinary. I am sorry that we did not get your the service we stand for and our guests rave about. I believe your table brought in your own wine, and I followed up with you a few times. I wish I had resolved more during your visit.

We are disappointed to learn a new server had not met our standards, and can only again say we are sorry. We have parted ways, and look forward to trying to get our newest team members up to speed much more quickly and before these huge Saturday evenings. We have an extraordinary team, and getting anyone new up to speed is always a challenge. Please accept the note I sent you privately. Thank you.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

I have never been to a place like this. You can cook steak on a 700 degree stone. The steak was amazing. Food overall was unique, different, and tasted wonderful. I have been all over the US and in parts of Europe and I have never cooked steak on a stone at my table. The dessert was phenomenal. Try the Charleston Smores. Definitely try this place if you are in Charleston. It is right past the main market.

Thank you for the great comment on your experience with us at Burwell's. Thank you for dining with us, and even more AMAZING... our incredible culinary team can prepare your steak over a 1400 degree wood fire grill. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us. Thank you!