“Great way to multi-task as a Tourist!”

Say Charleston! Photo Walking Tours
Ranked #7 of 223 Tours in Charleston
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Charleston native and award-winning photojournalist Liz Legare Duren takes you on a stroll through the city her ancestors helped build. Experience Charleston, while YOU are being photographed in the city's most beautiful (or tucked away) locations. Limiting the the tour to only 10 people assures you a more intimate look at the city and a chance for some GREAT photography! Tours are available 7 days a week, please visit our website for all the information you need! Discounts on tickets are offered several times a year, check our site for the latest news.
Cincinnati, Ohio
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great way to multi-task as a Tourist!”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I don't know about you, but when I travel to a new city, my homework has been completed before I arrive and I am ready for adventure! I have a good idea of points of interest, have made a few hard-to-get restaurant reservations and determined the best fit for accommodations. While researching Charleston for a recent family vacation, I came across a truly unique opportunity. Say Charleston! Private Photo Walking Tours provides a walking tour of the Historic District, as well as professional photos (landmarks + you) of the tour.

My husband and I invited our two grown children and their significant others along (since I found a Groupon deal that made it all-so-affordable!) for a group of three couples. We comprised our own private tour with Liz. That in itself was a treat - no large groups to contend with. Liz met us at Washington Square in the Historic District and provided a bit of historical/cultural commentary on the Charleston area, dating back to the 1700s. What truly made it unique was her personal connection with history as she described her French Huguenot family fleeing France during the religious persecutions and coming to America. It really put a face on history, imagining these young people, similar in age to our own kids, coming to this foreign place so long ago.

Liz expertly intertwined history, personal stories and cultural explanations with photo ops along our route of the Historic District and the surrounding neighborhood. I highly recommend a morning tour in summer months (along with comfortable, yet stylish shoes for the cobblestone streets, and water for the Charleston heat and humidity.) For two hours we walked and listened and photographed our way through downtown. Liz was open to questions and turned on the southern accent when needed, to make history sound more pleasant than it really was. We learned about DuBose Heyward (author of the book that eventually become the Gershwin opera, Porgy and Bess), Philip Simmons and his famous ironwork, the Holy City moniker and so much more. Liz pointed out architectural details of the homes and provided explanations (the fire protection seals, earthquake stabilization, the single house piazzas.)

We all agreed on the following: it was well worth our time, Liz was entertaining and informational, the photos are gorgeous, and the tour exceeded ALL our expectations.

Visited July 2013
lizduren, Owner at Say Charleston! Photo Walking Tours, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
WHAT A fantastic review!!!!! thank you very much. I enjoyed walking around town with you guys and I agree the pics were AWESOME. You could tell you all enjoy your time together. I look forward to vacations with my children as adults too! I hope the weather was good for the beach!!

cheris
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great Experience...one of the highlights of our trip!”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

My husband and I took this tour with Liz on Tuesday, all I can say is fabulous. Liz is so warm and lovely - her southern charm as she weaves her story about the history of the city which she personalizes with her own ancestors is so engaging. The tour itself was great but the true bonus are the professional photos that she took of us all along the route. This truly is two events in one - a professional photo shoot combined with a fascinating view of Charleston. Take this tour - it will not disappoint!

Visited July 2013
Thank you for a lovely review. I am sorry the rain followed you to Florida, but WE HAD a GREAT weather day! Great for the pictures! Enjoy that grand baby, too!
Columbus, Ohio, United States
“Great storyteller + actually decent vacation photos”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My husband and I visited Charleston for our second wedding anniversary. I jokingly said I wanted to hire a photographer so we would have nice vacation pictures for once, and then I saw this tour on Groupon. Though we had a little trouble finding the starting point, we had a great time. Liz is a great storyteller and we got some great pictures even though it was seriously pouring down rain right before our tour (and raining some during it). It will be so nice to have some vacation pictures that are not selfies for once and not trying to ask strangers to take our picture throughout the vacation (since we knew we had some good ones already!) I have already suggested this for others I know that are visiting Charleston.

Visited July 2013
lizduren, Owner at Say Charleston! Photo Walking Tours, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Thank you very much for spreading the news about the tour!! Sorry about the rain. Sometimes it does that! That's the best time to tell a good long story AND it cools things down a bit! :)
Enjoy your images!!!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best tour in Charleston!”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I have and will recommend this tour to all of my family and friends. Not only did we get a ton of historical facts about the area and Liz's family (dating back to the 1700's), but we were also able to get some great images of my new bride and I. Thank you Liz for a great experience!

Visited June 2013
lizduren, Owner at Say Charleston! Photo Walking Tours, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
THANK!! I always enjoy meeting the newlyweds who choose this pretty city for their honeymoon! I am glad you had fun and I hope your daughter had a HAPPY birthday!
Bloomington, Indiana
“A delightful stroll in a charming city...”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My husband and I had not had our pictures taken in 6 years! (since...ahem, our wedding day). Since we had already decided we wanted to do a walking tour in Charleston while vacationing, we thought this would be the perfect fit. And indeed, it was! Liz has a trained eye for capturing lovely shots and is every bit a seasoned pro with her work. Did I mention that the natural charm and beauty of Charleston lends itself to captivating and gorgeous photos? We found the tour itself, to be very interesting as Liz described her family history. My husband is not very photogenic, but we ended up with lots of keepers. Thanks Liz!

Tip: Bring along water and dress appropriately for the summer months as Charleston can be quite muggy, as I found out! Also, I would not classify this tour as face paced, but yet we did keep "on the go" to cover a variety of sites, including many beautiful historic homes, the beachfront, and The Battery/White Point Gardens.

Visited July 2013
Thank you for a lovely review! I enjoyed meeting you both and THANK YOU for sending me the pics of ME.... hee hee. It's not often the tables are turned! :)