“Your Typical College Bar”

Charleston Beer Works
Ranked #240 of 946 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I give this place an average rating because it was stolidly average. I have to say that maybe on a normal night it would have gotten a higher rating but I was there on a Monday Night Football night when Carolina was playing so the place was packed and no wait staff showed up for their shifts. This meant that the two bartenders were trying to handle the bar and food orders until they could get some additional help to come in to assist. This meant that we had to wait longer than normal to place our order, get our food and our bill. I was watching the game so I didn't mind't mind too much but it did finally get annoying when we were getting hungry and there was no on e to take our order. But hey, it's a bar so no one really expect much! The food was average bar food and the beer selection was nothing special.

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Went to several pubs in this area in search of relaxed place to watch world series. Had no idea I was now in a small part of Boston as we entered.
Beer selections plentiful, all our food was a cut above the regular pub fodder, in fact we ordered the nacho's twice to decide if the chix or pork were better than the other. The pulled pork won. If you are looking for a sports bar to watch a game in downtown Charleston, this is the place.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

We were visiting Charleston for four days. I was looking for a good, local, IPA beer and some chicken wings. We found this place while walking the area. I asked the server if they had a good IPA. She said, "We have the best IPA on the east coast. It is Coast IPA and is made right here". I said, "Perfect - I'll have a big one". She said, "We don't have any - we always seem to be out of it". So I ordered another beer and they were out of that also. So I ordered another beer and some wings. The wings were decent. My wife ordered the $8.00 special - some type of mushroom burger. The server said, "Would you prefer fries, coleslaw or cottage cheese with that". My wife said, "Fries, please". The burger was so overdone it was like cardboard. The bill came and showed $10 for the burger. When queried about the $8 special, the server said we were charged $2 for the fries. When we mentioned that she indicated they were included, she said they were included but she never said they were free. Plus the floors were filthy and the service was slow. I would have given it a 1 rating except the wings were OK.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

My husband and I stopped in mid-afternoon for a beer. Sat at the bar and had a nice chat with the owner, who made great brew suggestions for the both of us. The appetizer we shared was very tasty.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

No kids menu, but staff were very accommodating in making a kids meal for our daughter. Burgers were excellent! Would definitely visit again.