“Good food, excellent service, very loud”

Stars Restaurant - Rooftop & Grill Room
Reserve with OpenTable
Stars Restaurant - Rooftop & Grill Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #142 of 936 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Seafood, Steakhouse, Healthy, Bar, Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: Stars Rooftop & Grill Room brings the art of live fire cooking to Charleston. Executive Chef Vince Carino exemplifies an artistic appreciation for live fire cooking by focusing on the details of each dish – the seasoning, balance, pairing and presentation. The restaurant has a full bar and grill room on the first floor and event space on the second floor. The rooftop bar has a 360-degree view of downtown Charleston and can accommodate up to 140 people. Dedicated to serving locally sourced food within 100 miles of Charleston, Stars’ food and beverage menus are fresh and seasonal. Stars brings a new tradition of open flame cuisine to Charleston and is not to be missed.
Reviewed January 23, 2013

A group of ten of us went for restaurant week and after hearing mixed reviews I honestly didn't have great expectations, but I was pleasantly surprised. I ordered off the regular menu and my apple salad was a large and delicious portion and my pork tenderloin was cooked to temperature. Our table made it difficult to conduct conversation and the restaurant was VERY loud so we all felt like we were yelling. Drinks were very slow to come from the bar- as in 10-15 minute wait. Overall, an enjoyable evening.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

So I was really excited to go to this restuarant when it first opened as I am a huge fan of Nathan Thurston. A group of us got together and decided that it would be a nice time to try it out during Restuarant week. There was 8 in our party and we were at a high-top table in the front of the restuarant by the door which was fine as I am a people watcher. One of our party was running late and that is when it started. Every 5 minutes the waitress would come over and ask if we were still waiting for someone else. Everytime one of us replied; Yes. Once all of us were seated and present we all ordered off the restuarant week menu. The oyster apps came out first then the soups in the second wave and last the salad. There was enough staff standing around to bring out all of the food together but it came out in shifts. Next was the main meal. All of the food was brought out again in shifts and 2 of the meals were forgotten. Dessert was the only meal were there was no confusion. All three courses were done to perfection. The topper of the night was when the waitress throw out one of my friend's meals without asking if she wanted it boxed up. As a replacement they gave her an uncooked pot-pie to take home! There always seemed to be a lot of service people standing around. I went to the bathroom and was almost ran over by 4 of them as it is right next to the kitchen. Also it was hard to hear anyone talking and we all felt like we were yelling at eachother during the whole meal.

2  Thank nyblueyes007
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Met friends for a glass of wine on the roof. Afterwards joined my family for dinner on the first floor. The live fire cooking was so cozy.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

We dined last evening at Stars with friends. The four of us were so pleased with the food, service, and Chef Thurston's visit to our table. His attention to detail at Stars is perfection. The ambience is great, the booths are comfortable, and a must is a visit after dinner to the rooftop bar. It gives a stunning & unique view of Charleston. Everything was first class and we can't wait to return. The Chicken Pot Pie, Salman, Beef Tenderloin, the Oysters Bulls Bay and the chocolate creme brulee were the best!

1  Thank PatKiawahIsland
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I just finished a very good meal at Stars .....The 8 of us all had selections from the 3 for $30 restaurant week menu. The food was excellent, the waiter was great, and the dining area was nicely furnished. A few minor complaints: it was noisy, really noisy and I had a real problem with conversing with the other members of our group, a small error on our bill, and the eight of us were fairly crammed in a booth. One big complaint: I had a beer and my wife ordered a whiskey on the rocks at the bar before the meal. My change was less than I expected, and questioning that, I was informed that there was an "upcharge" for the whiskey on the rocks!!!! They put more liquor in a drink on the rocks and therefore charge about 50%more. Must be something they learned from the airlines. Really? Really?