“Charleston, SC Tour Driving/Lunch/Walking for Three Hours”

Charleston Promenades
Ranked #96 of 230 Tours in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: Martine P. Dulles, licensed guide, offers tours in English and in French of Historic Charleston and the Lowcountry:Charles Towne (1670)- Charleston (2015). Holy City: Places of Worship and Cemeteries / Ville Sainte: Sites religieux et Cimetieres. Art & Architecture: Museums / Musees. Plantations, etc.
Birmingham, Alabama, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Charleston, SC Tour Driving/Lunch/Walking for Three Hours”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Martine Dulles of Charleston Promenades made our three hour tour most delightful while riding with us in our nine passenger van and sharing stories of the Old City Market and The Powder Magazine. Our tour also included seeing the sites of St. Michael's Episcopal Church, St. Phillip's Episcopal Church, (did I mention I am Episcopalian), Patriots Point, Rainbow Row, lots of Gardens, The Citadel, Civil War Sites not to mention all of the homes with their beautiful architecture. We had a wonderful lunch together and then we started our walking adventure of the city. Martine pointed out the different styles of architecture and interjected her own stories which were most informative and her accent was beautiful. I do plan to go back next spring with my antique/walking girl friends and hope she will find time to include us in her schedule!!! Marsha Duell

13 Thank Marsha D

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“The Consummate Professional”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Martine Dulles is extremely organized, very knowledgeable and has a wonderful sense of humor. Our two hour tour ended too soon. She is "head and shoulders" above any previous guides we have used in the past. We are planning to hire Martine when our family is visiting in May - can't wait!

Visited February 2013
14 Thank Franklin M
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Charleston Promenades Guided Tour”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Charleston comes alive during a guided tour with Martine Dulles of Charleston Promenades. She is thoroughly knowledgeable, sensitive to guests' needs and fun. I have enjoyed 2 tours with family and friends this Spring and look forward to more upon my return to Charleston.

13 Thank Mio F
Mt Pleasant SC
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“What are the chances.........”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

that a mere two hour tour would kindle a friendship with the tour guide? That is what happened when I treated an out-of-town guest to a tour of Charleston's historical district with Martine Dulles. Over and above Martine's knowledge of her subject, her tour had such a joie de vivre that I wanted more time with Martine! Her tour would be a special treat for anyone - even a local!

14 Thank mary k
83 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“A tour worthy of Charleston”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

There's a reason why Martine Dulles gets perfect fives from all who've reviewed her. She's simply the ideal introducer of the loveliest of all American cities to visitors. It's very apt that a sophisticated Frenchwoman should be your guide to the historical and aesthetics delights, and nuances, of this fascinating city, where beauty in all things--from architecture to gardens to interiors to dress and manners--has reigned supreme for hundreds of years. My significant other and I moved down here from New York and Baltimore last fall, and I'm thinking of being a tour guide some day myself, since I'm fascinated and delighted by the city, just like everyone else. At any rate, we took a tour with Martine recently to see how a real pro does it. The tour was intelligently limited to the boundaries of the old eighteenth-century walled city, since that's more than enough for an hour and a half, and since so much of primary interest in Charleston liewithin those bounds. Not only does Martine know her stuff, she's a connoisseur who focuses on what's most important, telling, and appealing to the eye. And the whole tour was conducted with a joie de vivre which is unique to Martine. If you want a truly delightful, as well as informative, introduction to this marvelous little city, do yourself a favor and sign on with Martine.

Visited February 2013