“This is my favorite place to go”

Inn at Middleton Place
Ranked #27 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
South Carolina
“This is my favorite place to go”
Reviewed August 27, 2006

This was my second trip to Middleton. The first time we were only there one night so we didn't get to fully experience everything. This time we booked for the entire weekend and I'm so happy we did.

Check in was great. Everyone was so friendly and they provide you all sorts of informtaion on all the activities, maps etc that you need to enhance your weekend.

Our room was great. We had a woods view room.
The room was immaculate. Hard wood floors, pine walls, comfy bed and a great bathroom with a soaking tub (They even provide scented bubbles for a romantic, relaxing bath.
They give you a "welcome basket" with chips, coffee, teast, cookies, & trail mix.
You also get bottled water and fluffy white robes.

We took advantage of the managers reception which offers, wine, beer, cheese & crackers (non alcholic beverages are available too). The wine was delicious and even bought a bottle to bring back to our room. We ate dinner in downtown charleston but I have eaten at the restaurant previously and it was delicious and very romantic.

They provide complimentary breakfast with pastries, bagels, eggs, bacon, sausage, coffee ,tea etc. Anywhere else this would be a $13 per person buffet, here it is included in your room.

After breakfast we headed to the gardens for the tour (also included in your room price) Whether the flowers are in bloom or not, this is a beautiful tour. There is so much to see. Everything is kept so well. We also did the tour of the Middleton home.(very interesting). There is a horse drawn carriage ride around the plantation as well as kyacking, horse back riding and bicycling. (You can even milk a cow if you want)

In the afternoon we tried to use the pool but due to a lighting strike a few days earlier the filter was being repaired so instead we took advantage of the down time and had lunch at the Inn and relaxed a little.

That evening we headed into Charleston for a Riverdogs baseball game.

Sunday we had breakfast and unfortunately had to check out.
I hated to leave.
Middleton is without a doubt my favorite place to go and I plan to go back as often as possible, trying something new each time I go.

I have only scratched the surface of activities to do at Middleton. Most importantly though, it is a great getaway whether you just want to lay in a hammock and relax or want to be more active and take advantage of all of their ammenties. It is also only about 15 minutes from downtown charleston which makes it ideal.

• Liked — I love the room, The white bedspread, the pine walls and floor
  • Disliked — nothing, this place is amazing
  • Tips/Secrets — Definitely take advantage of the managers reception
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
5 Thank littel1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed July 10, 2006

My fiancé and I spent 1 night here this past weekend. The overall experience was outstanding and we both can't wait to return. We booked the wooded view and were both very happy with it. I don't think I'd book the river view room for the extra price. It's pretty much as its described "River View"...You can see the water through the trees and just below the slope. The grounds surrounding the hotel are very southern with the large Oak trees and Spanish moss. The hotels architecture is unusual, somewhat out of character with the surrounding landscape. It's interesting though, kind of institutional on the outside but very European on the inside.

The price included admission to the Middleton Place grounds and gardens. We took advantage of the walkways after hours and found ourselves walking adjacent to two different weddings that were taking place on the plantation. We joked that next time we'll dress nicer so that we "blend in". We were able to see the rest of the plantation the following morning.

The restaurant is very nice and somewhat pricey. We were lucky to get in since one of the wedding parties had half of the restuarant reserved. The free breakfast the following morning was very good and the lakehouse where it is served is very classy as well. We also took in some kayaking while we were there as well as a lot of walking!

• Stayed July 2006
3 Thank schoosier
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed June 22, 2006

The was a great place to see nature. Saw many alligators and large wading birds. The kayak trip on the Ashley River was wonderful, and bike rental was reasonable. The room was interesting but dated, and the toilet didn't work very well. Breakfast was great, but the food at the restaurant (at Middleton Place Plantation) was disappointing plus expensive (I had grits and shellfish, which was very good, but there wasn't enough to eat - wife had duck that was disgusting). Also, the food at inn's small restaurant wasn't very good either. Enjoy nature and breakfast, but go to Charleston or Summerville for lunch and dinner.

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank LanierCharlotte_NC
NJ
Reviewed June 7, 2006

What a great place to stay!!! The Inn at Middleton Place offers serenity, the most beautiful grounds, a great little restaurant, and a courteous and friendly staff! The rooms are extremely nice and spacious (I recommend the grand room)! No large crowds - very serene and beautiful setting. It takes at least one full day to get through the entire grounds. Bring a camera to take lots of pictures! I highly recommend the Inn to anyone looking for a great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank DarleneT
New York
Reviewed May 31, 2006

My wife and I just returned from 10 days in the Low Country, ending up at Middleton Place. Between expensive rooms in Charleston and Savannah, and a splurge in Beaufort, this was the second cheapest place we stayed, but by far the best.

First, the access to the grounds is a huge part of the deal. You not only have complete garden access, house museum tour, and most of the nature tours thrown in, but it's on all days that you're there (ie: not just a coupon), AND you can wander around before opening time or after closing time. The chance to have this beautiful site almost to yourself is wonderful. And its landscape is varied: woods, swamp, gardens, stables, fields, marsh. My wife and I fully intend to return, this time for several days, in order to kayak, walk, and just relax.

Inside the rooms is lovely too. The huge array of wood shutters is cool, and stunning, and the rooms are very wood chique. I can imagine sitting at the desk, looking out at the trees and writing many a novel. The bath is huge and so great for sharing. There's free snacks and water, nice soap, robes, and even a flashlight. We had no bugs whatsoever, and were amazed that at a place of such natural beauty outside, they still took the time to make the interiors warm and welcoming. It'd be great in winter too, complete with its little fireplace.

Then there's all the rest: very nice staff; a complimentary wine/beer and cheese each afternoon; a lodge with boardgames and big chess sets; nice breakfast; a pretty decent restaurant; pool; kayaking; etc.

Overall, I'd actually love to tell you this place sucked, so that it will be half- to near-empty next time I go. But truth be told it's a great place, a real bargain considering what you get, and the highlight of our trip.

• Stayed May 2006