“WONDERFUL and will return!”

Inn at Middleton Place
Ranked #27 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Greenfield, Indiana
“WONDERFUL and will return!”
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I have nothing but good to say about this place!
My hubby and I wanted a relaxed place to stay and it was just that. After checking in at the Inn we wandered through the paths and found our way to Middleton Place (after hours). It was awesome. Nobody was around and we had the whole place to ourselves. I can't believe there wasn't anyone else from the Inn exploring too.
Of course we returned to the plantation the next day for touring and etc. It's a great value to stay there if you are planning to tour the plantation also!

At first, I had doubts about what the continental breakfast would be like.
I'm wheat and gluten free and I just assumed there would only be boxed cereals, muffins and sugary prepackaged yogurt and pastries. NOT SO!!!
It was so wonderful to see Plain GREEK YOGURT in a large dish by the oatmeal with TONS of toppings to choose! Of course I ate the yogurt each morning along with one of the two gluten free cereals they offered and some fresh fruit. For the non gluten free there were 4 kinds of muffins, oatmeal and different cereals.
I absolutely LOVED the presentation of the buffet. Is was so simple in its elegance. Glass containers for the cereals and the toppings for the oatmeal and yogurt were in little glass mason jars. The setting and view was awesome as well and I didn't find myself in a hurry to eat and leave.

We booked a queen room. It was amazing. Just like you see on their website. The floor to ceiling plantations shutters transported you to another time and place. When we walked in... all our cares just melted away. I've come to realize from all my traveling that the place you stay is really important and adds to the experience. This place beats the daylights out of your typical hotels in my opinion!

We love going to Charleston and we do see another stay at the Inn at Middleton Place in our future.

Oh... the managers reception every evening was fabulous - not your typical plate of cookies like at some places. One night they had smoked salmon with dill sauce, 4 different cheeses (not the typical ones you would expect), fruit, veggies, humus and pita bread. The next evening they had something different. Of course there was the complimentary wine, beer or soda. Great way to open up and meet people and enjoy and relax before dinner. We didn't eat at the restaurant, so I cannot say what that is like.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

Loved the peaceful location and beautiful views; the peacocks and sheep with free range of the grounds were enchanting; and the food was wonderful! Felt like we had stepped back in time and were in our own little world.

• Stayed May 2014
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed June 26, 2014

My husband and I shared our 2nd wedding anniversary at the Inn.... It was the best getaway we've had yet.... The experience was wonderful. My favorite was the tour of the Inn and dinner that evening. Food was phenomenal and the atmosphere was breathtaking. I have over 200 pictures of that weekend. All the flowers weren't even in bloom and it was still breathtaking. We cannot wait to go back in the fall.. Thank you for the wonderful memories that we won't forget for a long time

Room Tip: One tip is to ask for a room on the 2nd floor. It can be a little noisy being on the 1st floor.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kuhlnikki42
Statesville, North Carolina
Reviewed June 25, 2014

This winter when we asked our goddaughter where she wanted to go on vacation in June, she wholehearty responded..the same place we had such a good time last year...the place with the plantation and horses!Wow..this was our choice also, so we made reservations in April. We arrived the week school ended and was greeted with the same smiles and ambience we experienced here last year except we were staying a week this time.Since it was both our birthdays and our 36th anniversary during our stay,we were treated with a bottle of champaine and chocolate strawberrys in our room..during the week we had a picnic on the grounds with more strawberries and Sparkling Wine.We explored the grounds of the Inn and the Plantationduring our stay and came in very close proximity to several alligators which resulted in great pics..My Goddaughter and myself also took advantage of the trail ride(which I highly recommend)and also took our 2 dogs(both mini dashounds)on several walks aroung the spacious grounds.We met several nice people here and enjoyed the wine,cheeze, andshrimp at the lodge(complimentary)We went to Charleston several times(16)miles away and to the beautiful town of Summerville.(10 miles) but we were always eager to return to the Inn.The nite before checkout(my birthday), I was greeted at the door with a 3 layered chocolate cake adorned with strawberrys and blueberrys..compliments of the Inn..what a week!! and you ask why you should pick this place to stay?? Five stars plus*****

Room Tip: Riverview rooms accommodate pets and is central to the whole Inn plus great views
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Johns Creek, Georgia
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I recommend this place!

Very peaceful setting with completely unique architecture that is totally contra to being on the grounds of a 200 year old rice plantation.

Arrive early as with your stay is included everything on the plantation other than the carriage tour. We felt like VIP's with our "guest sticker" showing were staying at the Inn. The grounds are quite extensive and beautiful. There are several formal tours available depending on one's interest level, or there is a self guided tour as well. Expect ~3-4 hours.

The room is basic but spacious and fits with the simplicity of the architecture. It is pretty remote thus very peaceful. Complimentary bottled water in the mini-fridge and a local trail mix sample was also a nice surprise. Beds are a little soft.

5-7 PM complimentary manager's reception. Snacks were stuffed mushrooms, chips and queso, ? crab cakes, grapes, cheese and crackers. Beer, wine, water and soft drinks were also complimentary. Very nice gesture and but the execution could be better. The lady serving the drinks was sort of pleasant enough but the quantity and quality of the snacks left something to be desired. (I guess either do it right or don't do it)

In the Lodge building they also offer several sandwich options for purchase ($6). I wish I had known that as I thought the Restaurant was the only lunch option.

AM complimentary breakfast was quite nice. Cold cereal selection. plain yogurt. sliced fresh fruit. oatmeal with many topping choices. fresh muffins. coffee/tea/juice/mild. There is hot breakfast available for purchase but what they offered was quite adequate. The breakfast staff was outstanding!

I feel the price is very fair.

Few cons. Try to get a top floor as we heard every step of the person above us and wondered if it was an elephant!!
The front desk staff, and I dealt with three of them, all need some hospitality training. They were just pleasant enough to not be rude but certainly not inviting.

Room Tip: Top floor to avoid the noise from rooms above.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2014

We stayed for two nights during a tour of Georgia and South Carolina. It is restful place to be. We were able to check in early and enjoy the afternoon in the plantation gardens. The room was comfortable if a little tired. Breakfast was good and the managers evening meeting, free beer/wine and nimbles, was a bonus. The pool was lovely, warm and quiet for a late afternoon dip. The two highlights are: the plantation garden and tours,the cost which is included in the inn price and the Middelton Place restaurant. The restaurant is a lovely 10 min walk from the inn and offers very good food and excellent value. The hanger steak is fab.

Room Tip: Upstairs with a river view is recommended.
Westminster, Maryland
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Beautiful view of the Ashley River. Very simplistic room with a cozy feel and a hint of the fireplace smell from the winter. We took a guided kayak tour and it was awesome. The managers meetings everynight with free beer and wine and a chance to talk to others was very unique in the lodge. Touring the grounds made you feel like a kid again with secret passages and great views. I didn't think I would enjoy the stableyards and the animals but it was surprisingly neat with the sheep walking by as they kept the lawn manicured. We had lunch at the lodge and it was a delicious panini. Dinner at the Inn was like having a meal at a classy DC restaurant but with Southern hospitality and views of the gardens.

1 Thank Steven I
Innkeeper/MI, General Manager at Inn at Middleton Place, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Thanks for your review! The Heritage Breeds Tour that Middleton Place houses in the Stableyards is a great way to learn more about all the different animals housed there and is very interesting. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back soon.