“Didn't even book”

Ranked #27 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Didn't even book”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I called on a Friday to book a room for our honeymoon. I inquired about a military discount and was told one was available however, she was unable to pull up that rate so in order to reserve it and pay the 50% of the stay she'd have to have her manager call in the morning who would be in at 1100. I never received a phone call Saturday or Sunday and finally on Monday I called to follow up. I was informed the rate had gone up but they would do a military discount. I asked to talk to a manager again since the rate would have been lower had I been able to book when I wanted to or had received a call back. She placed me on hold and came back saying they would honor it. I was becoming hesitant at this point about booking considering it was already such frustration and chaos. The woman on the phone then miscalculated what the discount was off of the price and I told her I had a different number. She calculated it again and again and even placed me on hold for a bit. She came back on the line and said she got her same number (a few dollars different from what it actually was) and she continued calculating again and again until I heard her asking someone else to do it for her. She then said I was right about the price. I grew even more reluctant to book with someone who couldn't even calculate 10% off the price. She informed me the price with tax which was a significant amount more. I was unsure of what the hotel taxes in Charleston were but after all this was not comfortable with providing my credit card info and having who knows what amount actually charged to it. I figured if this is how things were going to start out with booking how could I be sure they would ensure my stay would be any better? I feel let down before even getting a chance to stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Innkeeper/MI, General Manager at Inn at Middleton Place, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
This is an unfortunate case of the extraordinary. The specific room requested by this guest typically does not offer discounts of any kind; however we were bending the rules to make it happen hence why there was hesitation on the quoting of the rate. We have tried, unsuccessfully, to contact this guest more then once but our calls have not been returned. We are happy to discuss and handle as you requested; please call Micheal McDaniel directly. Hope to hear from you! Abby Martin, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We had not air conditioning. We had no hot water and were unable to take a shower after sweating all night. Windows were sealed shut. Management was totally unresponsive to our requests. No one seemed to care. Worst hotel experience we have had in 30 years of travel . Yes it is a pretty setting but run to a Marriott if you want air conditioning and a hot shower. No southern hospitality here. Room was dirty.

Green Features: Oh yes they are a green hotel. They save energy by not supplying air conditioning. And hot water!!! Also saved on towels because you cannot take a shower
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank R2498JAMary
Thank you guest, for sharing your opinion and version of the situation. I truly am sorry that your stay did not go as you had planned. I do agree however; potential guests please do read all the reviews, for the positive outweigh the negative, and choose to visit and judge for yourself if the value, outstanding architectural and acclaimed customer service is something you are looking to experience. As always, feel free to contact me about this review or any others. All my best, Abigail M. Martin, General Manager
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Wanted to take my wife on a little get-a-way and I found Middleton Place and their Inn on-line. Fell in love with the inn so I booked a room for a Saturday night.
My wife and I arrived at the inn around 11:00 am knowing that our room would not be ready until 4pm that afternoon. We were given our "Free" all inclusive passes to the house and grounds.
We started at the restaurant where we enjoyed an outstanding meal! We actually could have split a entrée Good size portions!
We then toured the grounds, stables and gardens at our leisure, taking photos of amazing natural setting. We then toured the Middleton home and learned a little more about the Middleton family and the Charleston.
The tour was complete at 4pm and we received a call for the inn informing us that our room was ready. Upon arriving back at the inn we were able to get to our unpack shower and then we were off to the 5-7 meet and greet at the inn party/meeting room. Horderves, beer, wine and other free items were available. My wife had 5 glasses of wine and I enjoyed their beer section while sitting on a recliner next to the Ashley River.
We have already decided that we will be back and next time invite family or friends.
Ron

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms at the inn!
Chicago
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My husband and I were a little unsure what to expect of The Inn at Middleton Place after reading the spotty Tripadvisor Reviews, but boy, were we pleasantly surprised! Let me just start by saying that if you imagine any movie that's taken place in the South - The Notebook, Forrest Gump, etc, and you think of the lush forests you see - that is what you will experience tenfold by staying here. The grounds are enormous and mostly forested by lush trees (including Magnolia trees), draped by Spanish moss. It was so peaceful and quiet when we walked around, all we heard were locusts buzzing and the sound of our own footfalls. Even though there were plenty of other guests there, it felt like we had the place to ourselves. All of the buildings are spread apart, so it doesn't feel like a typical hotel.

Our room (on the highest level) was very very large, which we really liked. The bathrooms are amazing. We've never seen such a huge bathtub! I really liked that there were containers of q-tips and cotton balls as well, nice touch. One really nice perk is that there is a nightly cocktail hour with complimentary wine and beer, as well as some light snacks, in the lodge. The lodge itself was part of the building that housed our room, so it wasn't far for us at all. I loved the combination of old Southern decor touches (sconces, gilt mirrors) with the more modern/rustic decor of the inn as a whole.

However, the BEST part is that our reservations included free admission to the plantation. I just can't get over how beautiful the grounds were. If you stay here, do not pass up the opportunity to visit the plantation. The walking path from the Inn to the Plantation is just lovely, and we never saw anyone on it but us. Driving into the Inn was also so pretty, since we passed stables and pastures with gorgeous horses grazing. Seriously, I felt like a Southern Belle.

A few other things - the pool is a really nice touch, especially since it gets really hot down there. The A/C in our room wasn't quite as powerful as we wanted, but we chalked it up to the fact that this is a Green hotel. Our room had a nice new TV and we didn't have any other complaints that we had read about here. Definitely give this place a try!

Room Tip: Get a room on the highest floor
Green Features: I can tell that this Inn really tries to be environmentally conscious and I appreciated that.
Fernandina Beach, Florida
Reviewed September 15, 2013

If you are looking for a quiet, woodsy, rustic stay this is the place. When you look at it on line it looks like a military barracks. Not the case. The buildings are concrete but are covered in ivy. Once inside the rooms are large and comfortable. Although we knew about it before the black grout in the bathroom and tub can be a little off-putting as it appears to be mold but isn't. The tub is big enough for a party as it is about 7ft. x 4ft. x 2ft. deep. The only thing we didn't like was the big wooden sliding door to close off the bathroom. It's hard to close and noisy. There is a nice free breakfast at the Lake House and at the lodge from 5 - 7 daily there is a manager's reception which had cold boiled shrimp, cheeses, fruit, chips & salsa, and all you care to drink wine or beer. All complimentary. The Inn is about a 1/3 mile walk from Middleton Place plantation and restaurant. Two points of interest. When walking to the plantation take the steps down to the mill building and then take the first levee to the left. It is easier than taking the graveled path and is flat rather than having to go down steps. The second thought is that if you go in the summer forego the extra cost of the River View rooms as the vegetation blocks your view.

Room Tip: OPT for first floor as there are only stairs. Avoid the River View up charge in the summer because t...
Green Features: This is a deeply wooded area and everything blends in. There are recycling bins in each room.
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed September 12, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the Middleton Place lodge. For a colonial setting at the Middleton Gardens, I felt modernish styling for the lodge did not fit at all. The room smelled of fresh varnish so much my wife asked for a room change. That room smelled nearly as bad. There were two small windows which opened but did not provide much air flow. The air conditioning took nearly six hours to drop the room temperature by 8 degrees. Anyone who has visitied the deep south in September will appreciate getting away from the humidity. We then decided to go to the pool for a cool dip. Once we got there, somehow the green tint to the water and leaves on the floor of the pool didn't look very inviting. I looked to make sure there was no alligator waiting for us to dip our toes in the water.
Now. The staff was extremely helpful and inviting. The front desk clerk was new but immediately changed rooms for us and offered a complimentary meal for the next day's breakfast. I declined as is my nature. The hospitality hour was well run by Janelle and she offered us a viewing of Middleton Place without our asking. Well done!
I hope in the future the establishment can step up and accomadate guests better. Some things like the rooms may not be fixable. The staff and the gardens do make up for some of the issues we had with the rooms.

1 Thank jtudbury
Chevy Chase, Maryland
Reviewed September 11, 2013

This is the best way to immerse yourselves in history while enjoying modern accommodations. The natural beauty of Middleton Place -- one of the few preserved Civil War-era plantations -- is an escape from the hustle and fantastic bustle of Charleston. BONUS: When you stay at the Inn, your entrance fees to the plantation and the house tour and tour of the grounds is included. Do NOT miss taking the walking tour of the plantation. It's truly a remarkable experience. Then enjoy the grounds on your own. Wander through the gardens. Spot the native alligators sunny themselves around the lake. The rooms are spacious and tranquil. There is a nightly happy hour with complementary wine/beer and light appetizers.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple