“Just needs some room renovations”

Inn at Middleton Place
Ranked #28 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 13, 2013

After reading some past reviews we were very hesitant to stay here, but went with an open mind. The rooms do need updating, carpets are stained but the beds were very comfortable and we had a clean room. Location was great and close to whatever you needed. I thought the service was great, very friendly staff. I enjoyed my stay and would return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floor
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We loved being part of this historical property for a night, and touring the plantation for a day, but the inn is in need of some updating. There are a LOT of stairs if your room is on a second floor (at least in the group of building we were in). The bed was pretty lumpy and linens seemed old and discolored making them look and feel dirty (they probably weren't), and although our room was very clean, it feels a little unclean because it is old. The room and bathroom was spacious, good counter space and places to put suitcases, but not many outlets for phone/computer charges (something that drives my husband crazy). The "river views" the inn promotes are mostly blocked by trees and shrubs and it is more like a narrow swamp than a moving river. We had dinner at the restaurant on the property which was wonderful, food and views. I especially loved the flock of peacocks that greeted us as we walked up to the door to the restaurant! We walked to the restaurant from our room at the inn which was scenic and well-lit for our nighttime return. I loved being part of the history for a night, but probably would have stayed somewhere else had I known how dated the rooms are.

Room Tip: If you have issues with stairs, including carrying luggage up and down (no valets or bell service...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Innkeeper/MI, General Manager at Inn at Middleton Place, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay! The Inn has stairs that lead to all second and third floor rooms, yes, but every member of my staff is able and capable of helping with luggage. Requests for rooms without stairs can be accommodated also. Rooms are undergoing some refreshes and additions throughout this year, such as the additional outlets you mentioned, among other items. I encourage you to come back and take part in the outstanding value a stay at The Inn at Middleton Place offers and experience these changes for yourself. All my best, Abigail M. Martin, General Manager

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stay here and get up at dawn and stroll through the romantic Middleton Place gardens. Begin a self-guided tour with easy access on foot from the inn to adjacent plantation and gardens . Count on seeing wildlife, reflections in ponds and lakes, rice fields and live oaks as you walk through wooded areas and landscaped gardens. The inn itself is a remarkable architectural structure. While rustic, the room was comfortable and clean with space for functionality. Its close proximity to Drayton Hall and Magnolia Plantation make it a convenient place to stay to enjoy the area. In the evening, complimentary wine, beer and appetizers are served. Continental breakfast included or you may purchase other hot options. We enjoyed dinner at the restaurant with its lovely views and traditional low country dishes. Reservations are advised. Amenities included outdoor swimming pool in a natural setting and the inn is pet friendly.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Finding the actual Inn was a challenge, partly because the address listed for it on the website is not where our GPS located it, and partly because we were trying to find it when it was completely dark outside. We had to call the office twice for help with directions as the person we spoke with did not know directions' distances very well. The directions on the website are not very exact and the road signage is limited, nor not lit well. Overgrown foilage blocking the signage also does not help. We did finally make it and got checked in. We drove to our building but it was also a challenge finding our exact room. The yard signs that indicate building room numbers (e.g. 101-151, 201-256, etc.) are not big or lit and if cars are parked in front of them, they are hard to see (if at all), especially at night. Nor did we know which end of the building our room was on and if it was on the backside or the frontside of the building. Finally, we had to haul our luggage up a long narrow flight of stairs. I don't recommend this type of room for people that cannot handle luggage and stairs simultaneously. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable. The room (with a river view) is a mix of modern and traditional. Modern with bare concrete white painted walls and a lot of cold tile, with a walk-in tub and shower. The toilet had its own little space but the handle to flush was a button you press in on the side and since it was a low-setting seat, it was quite awkward to flush. Traditional with wooden shuttered windows and a lot of them (for the great view) and a fireplace (we did not use). After the first night I called and asked for either a second set of pillows or a clean set of pillowcases (so I could use the pillows from the decorate pillow shams) and to have housekeeping leave them, but they forgot. They do have courtesy umbrellas to use on campus that you can borrow and leave which was a nice bonus, since we did not bring one, and the weather was rainy. Finally, the B&B rate does include the tickets to the Plantation gardens and that was a nice bonus. We didn't have time to wait for the official tours to start the day we toured the plantation, so we did our own self-guided tour. The lake house offers complimentary healthy breakfast; this included juice and hot beverages, cold cereal, sweet rolls and fruit/yogurt. If you wanted additional hot items (e.g. eggs, waffles, etc.) you could order them from the menu.

Room Tip: No stairs to climb for ground level rooms
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2013

My husband and I Loved the plantation!!!:) The food at the restaurant and the service were good. EVERYONE at the plantation were very friendly and very helpful!! Totally loved the grounds very peaceful and romantic!! What I didn't like was our room! It smelled like a fire pit after it has been extinguished!! Awful!! I am sure that the fireplace could have been cleaned for the spring and summer season. Also the bathroom and the walls are in desperate need of renovation!!!! The room was nicely decorated and the shutters and view were nice. We will return with our kids to see the plantation, but we will not stay overnight if they do not renovate it. I wish they would renovate this jewel because it's such a great place to getaway from all the craziness of everyday living!!! Again I give the plantation and the service a 5 star but the lodge was a disappointment!! Please renovate!:)

Room Tip: Visit for the day. If you do decide to stay overnight do not expect too much from the room and you w...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2013

My husband took me here for my birthday this summer, we stayed 3 nights, I highly recommend it to everyone visiting South Carolina.
It was romantic ambiance, unexpected beauty, roaming the gardens was like a dream, the animal farm was beautiful.. with white peacocks, dozens of horses, giant trees..
Every night we dined in the restaurant, the food was some of the best cuisine I have had in America.. truly fantastic.. lunch at the restaurant is also an equal pleasure.

Our trip to Middleton Place was so lovely I am looking forward to revisiting with my family, to share with them this jewel of a location! 5 star vacation.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a higher floor for a better view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2013

The architecture is stunning, it is located on one of the most famous plantations and it is away from the bustle of downtown Charleston. On the other hand it is in desperate need of an extension renovation.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank BostonEsan
Innkeeper/MI, General Manager at Inn at Middleton Place, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Wonderful! It is nice to know we are ahead of the game! Refreshing and updating continues throughout 2013 in all the guest rooms. There may be some design aspects that are not changed, we don’t think everything needs to go, but if any potential guests have questions about what has been addressed please don’t hesitate to reach out to me or my staff! Thank you for your review and recognition of the outstanding architecture! All my best, Abigail M. Martin, General Manager