“Confusing”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
“Confusing”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this place Sunday May 5. All the information I could find on the web calls this place "The Inn at Middleton Place". We drove up to "The Middleton Inn"; not knowing that "Middleton Inn" and "Inn at Middleton Place" are one in the same, we went to Middleton Place. All GPS entries sent us to Middleton Place; not Middleton Inn. Finally we called the Inn to get directions. Having said all that, once I got to our room, it was what I would call normal to average rural resort type room, nothing spectacular except the setting. Our room overlooked the Ashley River and marsh, water fowl flying around all the time, we even came across a few small alligators sunning themselves. A word about breakfast, one web site says complementary full breakfast and another says complementry continental breakfast; it's really a complementary continental breakfast, however every thing is made on site and simply wonderful. All in all, DO NOT come to Middleton Inn for a great hotel room with loads of amenities; but rather DO come to Middleton Inn for the scenery and surrounding plantation.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank steveb1953
Innkeeper/MI, General Manager at Inn at Middleton Place, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
I certainly can see your point guest; all information throughout all print and web services refer to us as The Inn at Middleton Place; where the signs, once you are on property, refer to us as Middleton Inn. Unfortunately we can not control the location directions of the GPS service and have found that depending on what service you use we are located in a few different places along the major highway. A tip for potential guests; its better to use the Inn’s physical address when using a GPS and please let us know if the location you are sent to is incorrect. We do try to do everything in our power to correct those services. I personally have never seen or heard of another rural resort that can match The Inn’s architecture, design and value of offerings. Having a room that, as you described, “…room overlooked the Ashley River and marsh, water fowl flying around all the time, we even came across a few small alligators sunning themselves” does not sound “average” to me in any form but there is the strong possibility you are a much more seasoned traveler then I! We do offer a complementary Healthy Start Breakfast with house made granola, breads (sweeten with fruit juice) and jams, along with yogurt, non-sugared cereals and various drinks. Majority of guests find this option perfect for their morning meal, others choose to purchase a hot breakfast for a nominal price. Third party web sites sometimes change the wordage of offerings, leading guests to the wrong impression. Thank you for pointing out that fact, and bringing to light some of the nuisances we seem to face with location and accuracy. I appreciate it guest, thank you! Abigail M. Martin, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Manalapan, New Jersey
Reviewed May 3, 2013

The perfect place to escape for a few days. The inn is Frank Lloyd Wright-ish, big simple room with floor to ceiling windows with shutters so you can open the and view the trees and river if you choose. Fireplace and a big rope rug...simple and lovely. The bathroom also reflected the clean lines. Included in the price of your room is a cocktail hour and breakfast. Kayaking and horseback riding also available. But, the big plus is admission and access to the plantation. The walk from the inn to the plantation is just priceless. What a find, what a memory.

Room Tip: King river view on second look...breathtaking...but only for those who can walk the big flight of st...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 29, 2013

The best part of the Inn is its surroundings. When you step on the property, you immediately feel relaxed in the remote, breathtaking setting. The air smells like honeysuckle and the plantation gardens (fabulous) are only a five-minute walk from the rooms. There's a two mile running/walking trail around the sunken rice fields where we saw alligators, herons, flowers, and various wildlife. We were very surprised to see the rooms - they are very ugly buildings that look like "barracks" in the words of friends. However, we were very happy when we stepped inside. It's rustic, to be sure, and could use some updating (dated bathrooms, tube televisions, etc.) but the views are just lovely, the beds are comfortable, there was utter quiet, and it felt spacious. There's a fireplace in every room, which is a lovely touch, but don't make a fire unless you like a lingering "fire smell" (and who doesn't?)

The breakfast consists of three to five freshly baked breads (delicious), toast & english muffins, etc., a few homemade jams and preserves, fruit, yogurt, and granola. I thought that was more than sufficient but there are also hot items available for purchase. The Inn includes admission to the Plantation, and the staff was extremely helpful in pointing out things to do and various directions. It's about a twenty minute drive into Charleston, and about a fifteen minute drive from the airport, but I would absolutely recommend renting a car if you plan to explore the surrounding area. The dining options at the Inn are limited, and book up, so I would recommend eating in Charleston - Magnolia's was delicious.

Overall, the Inn was relaxing, lovely, and remote - a hidden gem and a unique place. Manage your expectations and you'll adore it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank JournalKat7
pittsburgh
Reviewed April 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this inn for two nights during a recent trip to Charleston. I thought it would be a good idea to split up the trip - two nights at Middleton and four nights in the town of Charleston. It was the perfect combination. The property that includes the Inn and the Plantation are rather large. This is a peaceful, rural setting, and walking on paths is necessary to enjoy the entire place. There was not a reachable plug next to the bed, as mentioned by prior reviewer, so we called for an extension cord for my husband's CPAP machine, and it was delivered within 10 minutes; we've had this same issue at multiple other places. The food and service at the lodge (free happy hour and snacks), lakehouse for breakfast, and at the restaurant were very good. Tours of the plantation come with the hotel charge, and there is plenty to see. It was just the right place to begin our vacation! Nice touch with umbrella stands outside of each building - our room, lodge, restaurant, etc., which we thankfully did not need to use. They also had complimentary bikes available for hotel guests at several spots on the inn property. I arrived full of stress, and left this place much more relaxed. And I can't forget to mention the magestic trees all across the property - my favorite picture from the trip is me standing underneath one on the plantation along the river.

Room Tip: We stayed in a nice room on the second floor of building 4 which is near the check-in building, and...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

The Inn at Middleton Place exceeded our expectations. We went to see the gardens, which were in full bloom and lovely, but we were so impressed wth the contemporary decor at the Inn and the helpful attitude of the entire staff. We had dinner and a movie with the other guests one night and a fresh and healthy breakfast both mornings of our stay. The highlight was our kayaking trip through the cypress swamp right on the property led by a local and very knowledgeable guide. Perfect springtime getaway!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank robin12495
Victoria
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I recently had an opportunity to be in Charleston and looked forward to a return visit to this magical spot. The grounds and history are truly outstanding and make a visit to The Inn at Middleton Place a must do.

There is so much "right" about this place that I am hesitant to "complain" but what truly needs improvement is the attention to the guest experience, most specifically in room. It would serve everyone well if the management packed their bags and actually checked in and experienced what the guests do. While nothing was tragic on its own it all added up enough to bring what should be an exquisite stay down to something just average.

Upgraded linens and towels would be an obvious start
Providing outlets beside bed is a must (Think CPAP Machine?)
How do you set those Alarm Clocks?
Ensuring the right amenities are left is just detail work (why 3 shampoos 1 day vs one lotion conditioner and shampoo another)
Why was a piece of rubber debris left on the staircase for (4 +?) days
When are the rooms going to have the woodwork redone and the concrete painted?

It's the attention to detail that ensures the guest experience is fabulous so hopefully the staff here can regroup and start to get back on track and keep this magical spot outstanding.

Room Tip: The Grand Rooms extra space is well worth it
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank iGuy
L/A, Maine
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Stayed here recently for meetings. It's a step up from camping. The grounds are very nice. However, it is very rustic and the pathways are gravel and pebbles with very little lighting at night. The rooms are wood, stucco and tile---it was damp while we were there and all you could smell in the rooms was wet ash from the fireplaces. The floors were always gritty. The electrical plugs were non-existent except for the bare necessities like lamps and electric shavers. I had to move the desk so I could get to an outlet on the floor under the desk to plug in my cell phone at night--I wanted it near me. The alarm clock had a ipod dock and it was extremely difficult to set--I never did figure it out so I ended up with it going off every morning at 7:30. The outlets in the bathroom were very close to the sink. Luckily there was a shelf near the sink so I could plug my ipad in there and put it on the shelf while it was charging. The little coffee pot they provided, however, had to be placed almost in the sink to be used as the cord wouldn't reach to the other side of the sink which had plenty of surface space. The tub was unusual----150 gallon capacity with a rather high side that you had to climb over in order to get to the shower apparatus. And the walls were so thin I could hear my upstairs neighbor's alarm clock going off in the morning, etc. TV was old and had poor reception. It would've been nice if I were 30ish on a romantic weekend I suppose. The food was less than impressive although the service was good--except in The Lodge. There was supposed to be sandwiches and such served there during the noon hour except, when I went to get one, no one was there to serve you. There was a phone with a note to call if you wanted service. Continental breakfast (included) was fine. If you wanted a good meal at the on-site restaurant, you had to walk quite a distance to the gardens off the inn property. I heard the food there was excellent. It stopped serving dinner at 8 pm and it's so dark coming back that you really need a flashlight to help you navigage your way back---I read in another review that the rooms had flashlights in chargers but there was no flashlight in my room. In fact, I even had to ask for an extra roll of TP as there was only the one on the holder in the bathroom. The general consensus of the group was that we would not go back. BTW--it costs anywhere from $45 to $60 one way for a cab from the airport. The Inn has no shuttle service. Cabs don't enter the grounds---you have to meet them at the registration office which is quite a walk from the rooms. My flight was very early in the morning so I chose to stay at another venue closer to the airport with shuttle service rather than have to walk to the registration office in the dark at 4 or so in the morning to meet the cab. All in all, it wasn't a great experience---but the meetings were terrific!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business