“Ashley river view”

Inn at Middleton Place
Ranked #28 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We have stayed at many fine hotels, but no view compares to waking up in the Ashley River room- panoramic sunrise over the Ashley river! Very unique hotel and location. Less is more.

• Stayed: May 2012

Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I desperately needed an affordable getaway for the weekend when we stumbled upon the inn at Middleton. Service is professional and friendly, rooms are floor to ceiling windows with plantation shutters, fireplace, comfy bed, massive garden tub with bath salts, good coffee, nice happy hour with good cheese and locally brewed beer (wine too). All of this plus the property lines the Ashley river and you get admission to the Middleton plantation joined by a gorgeous walk. Did I mention biking, kayaking and the equestrian center??? Like I said, please don't go or I'll never get in again....

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank hink29
Innkeeper/MI, General Manager at Inn at Middleton Place, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Thank you guest, for the thoughtful review and very eye-catching title. You had us worried for a moment! All my best, Abigail Martin, General Manager

Reviewed July 13, 2012

Inn at Middleton was a nice respite after having spent 5 days in Charleston. Our room overlooked the woods and was clean, comfortable and quite nice. My elderly mother was unable to use the pool because it was not accessible, which was disappointing. This is not the best place for people who aren't able to walk unassisted because lodging, reception and breakfast are all in different locales. Other than that, it is a lovely place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank chloeWisconsin
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My wife and I stayed four nights following July 4 and I must say that we were very pleased. There were two main things that drew us into this place 1) their emphasis on pet friendliness and 2) the architecture. The Inn is exuisitely designed. The rooms are very large and very tastefully decorated. They are not cookie cutter, Holiday Inn rooms. If you like something a little different, stay here. The grounds were gorgeous, peaceful and relaxing, it was nice to get away to the woods from all the hustle and bustle of Charleston. The property owners seem to have thought of everything from complimentary bath salts to little index cards with directions to many attractions. The complimentary breakfast was very good and healthy. Oh, and pet friendly, they provided our little dog with a nice gift bag full of goodies. We did not experience any mold or insects in our room and we were as far into the woods as the property extends. We will be back.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank le_machistador
Reviewed July 8, 2012

This was a highlight after a couple of days exploring Charleston.
This is what it is. On the river surrounded by lakes and swamps -so it's humid -so there's mould in the bathrooms and the windows do not open to let in the insects! So bear that in mind and enjoy the opportunity to stay at this interesting place -and factor in that for a couple the accommodation includes $74 worth of admission to Middleton Place! You can have free access as well the following day (another $50 worth!)!
After touring the property we relaxed in the pool (set under the trees above the river) enjoyed the 5pm drinks and then wandered around to the Restaurant at Middleton Place for a good meal.
We stayed with another couple and had one grand room and one standard room -the only difference was the slightly larger floor space and a couch -not really worth the grand room for an overnight stay.
Lovely bird life and entertaining squirrels in the trees around the rooms.

Room Tip: Don't bother with a grand room for an overnight stay unless there are a few travelling together.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BronwynMelbourne
Reviewed July 8, 2012

The grounds are great, however the rooms look like the pictures just a little older. Our receptacle did not work they said someone would be over to replace it, no one ever came, could not iron my clothes or blow dry my hair. The bed sagged in the middle and there are only a few channels on the cable. As we checked out we told them about it all they said was sorry. also during the night I could hear the person above us walking back and forth.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank sherry c
Reviewed July 6, 2012

This is my favorite get-away (from Savannah)! The architecture is exceptional, the setting peaceful and beautiful, and the accommodations are very comfortable. I just wish that I knew of other places that are so exceptional in these three ways. We need more places like this in the world! I used my time there to walk the gardens and so some personal reflection - can't be a better for those kinds of things. In the past I have also had a very enjoyable dinner and tour of the gardens. I have probably stayed here at least six time - I try to do it at least once a year.

Room Tip: The design of this gem gives each building a view - I like all of them, especially the ones on the s...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business