“Quiet getaway...” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Vicenza, Italy
“Quiet getaway...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2011

“Spent last week here and we're a bit mixed on it. We don't regret our stay and it was very comfortable, but not quite what we expected. Accommodations are a little more rustic than the pics make it look. Fireplace, eurobath, marble, and other upscale design concepts - it's all there, but seemingly constructed by the lowest bidder with poor finishing skills. HVAC and minifridge worked but noisy. Minimal pwr plugins and storage space. Felt more like a rustic cabin than a luxury room; not necessarily a bad thing, just not what we were expecting.

Counterbalancing the negative above: comfortable bed, clean, amazing grounds (Middleton Place gardens!). Good location (20-30 minutes to the city or beach but far enough out to be in the lush and quiet country). Staff felt like friends. Lots of nice little extras - free run of the gardens (visitors pay $25 for the privilege just to tour it), nightly drinks and snacks at the lodge, standard continental breakfast but higher quality.

There are far nicer accommodations for $150 a night but few are more peaceful or in as beautiful a place, at any price. We're glad we spent our time there but probably wouldn't go back unless the rooms were refurbished.”

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
Minford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

My Mom and me took a trip and stayed here 2 nights, we loved everything, the room was neat and clean, everything worked and we could walk the grounds and gardens all we wanted, We spent the most of 2 days walking and relaxing. I do want to go back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank tamburn
Innkeeper/MI, General Manager at Inn at Middleton Place, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
I love to see when family has a chance to visit together! We are sincerely happy you had this special time, and that you were able to include us! We hope to see you again soon! Abigail M. Martin, General Manager
Berlin, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2011

We visited this hotel while in the area for a wedding at a neighboring plantation this part Earth Day. It was a very unique place with so much wildlife around it. While there we went on a hike and found a pond off the Ashley river with at least 10 alligators in it. It was so awesome. I love the weeping willows and the landscaping of the property. I also loved our room. It was on the second floor and the whole wall facing the river was windows. They had shutters on them which were much more classy than blinds. The bathroom was very unique and has a very large tub/shower.I would love to stay here again if we are ever in Charleston.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2011

The room we stayed in had a rustic feel, was clean and comfortable and had a fireplace and a large tub/shower combination. The grounds at the Inn and the neighboring Middleton Place Plantation are wonderful. Our package included a picnic basket and bicycles or a kayak. The picnic basket was good and even included a large bottle of champagne. We opted for the kayak and paddled up the Ashley River. We then walked over to the plantation for a lovely dinner and walk around the gardens. Overall we had a great time in a beautiful place.

2 Thank MystiLC
Smithland, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2011

We stayed at the Inn for a romantic getaway over Labor Day. Downtown Charleston B&B's wanted up to 3 times the price as Middleton so we reluctantly booked a room here a little farther off the beaten path. What a GREAT decision we made!!! The inn is impecablly furnished with almost EVERYTHING you would need to have a delightful stay. Rustic, almost cabin-like rooms welcomed us with a mini-fridge, snack, water bottles (free!!), HUGE tub and shower complete with mineral salts, q-tips and cotton balls. They really do think of everything. There was a blow dryer, iron, closet and a stunning view out the shuttered windows. Admission to Middleton place was included in our room rate and what a treat it was! Gorgeous grounds, great breakfast overlooking the swamp complete with "a trained alligator". Oh, and don't forget the managers reception in the lodge with complimentary drinks and snacks. Great value for the price.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

Given the fact that the Inn was located on the grounds of the beautiful Middleton Place Plantation, I assumed the it would be on par with the plantation - clean, well maintained and a delight to vist. Boy - was I wrong.
I expected a bit of a "rustic" experience after reading the other reviews posted here. The registration building was very nice and the clerk was sweet and friendly. Then we arrived at the room.
When we first drove up to the accommodations, it reminded me of an institutional school or perhaps a minimum security prison (not kidding). It was a concrete structure with few windows in the front and very drab in appearance. We climbed concrete stairs to our room on the second floor after dragging our suitcases along the sand walkway. The room was large (we had a Grand room) but there were issues that I found difficult to ignore given the price we had paid for the room. The floor to ceiling windows which looked so attractive on the website had mostly broken seals making it diffult to view the "scenic woodlands" or the river Ashley. My husband noticed the sticky bathroom floor immediately and the major stain on the toilet. The walls were cracked in several places and the floors had not been polished in ages.
The hotel is obviously a place that was grand in the beginning (maybe 30 years ago?) but has been left relatively unimproved and given only the basic cleaning for quite some time. It looks like a Frank Lloyd Wright bad dream.
It wasn't all bad...the bed was comfortable and the afternoon reception was a nice addition - free wine, beer and cheese in another building - but for the price (over $260 for one night with tax and fees), we were verty disappointed and we checked out the next morning rather than stay our second night.
If you love a large room but don't care about cleaniness or updated amenities, then this would probably be a good choice if you really like the plantation.
I have stayed at many hotels all over the country, and I don't consider my expectations unreasonable. In fact, most things missing at this hotel would be commonplace at other inns. But the hotel needs to be more reflective of their actual condition on their website rather than promote themselves as something they are not. This hotel needs a serious makeover.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Mary Ann D
Fredericksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

You know it was awesome. And we only spent one night before driving home but it was a full afternoon and morning the next day that my entire family enjoyed. We tend to stay in pricier resorts and let me just say, Inn at Middleton could charge much moreand be justified- it's only the off-the-beaten path location that I'm sure keeps the price right. We were a party of five- two parents, adult child, two elementary school children. I reserved here for a place to wind-down after a 7 day cruise out of Charleston- didn't want to make the 7 hour drive home directly from port. 7 day cruise- and ALL my kids are talking about still is the Inn. First, it's not IN Charleston, just outside the limits -but it's not ridiculously far- an easy 15-20 min jaunt to the Peninsula. It's far enough from there to be quiet, close enough to be worth it. We arrived ridiculously early but were accommodated 2 hours before check in with ready rooms. We asked for and received rooms next door to one another. (Note- upstairs IS upstairs and stairs are narrow, concrete and metal- if you're upstairs be prepared to pack light or haul heavy bags). My husband, myself and our 8 year old stayed in one, a Grand room, and my 20 year old and 6 year old next door in a "standard". Whoops! Let me back up- a few things about this place. It is rustic. It should be. Its part of the charm and character. You drive in to registration past a stable, down a dusty, sandy road, past a wooded area and voila, main office which is a small stand-alone building (with coffee, tea, lovely staff and a nice cat). You get to your room by passing through a coded security gate and driving down sandy paths, and you do not park on asphalt here- you will be in the woods and on sand. It's not difficult, it just is that way so have expectations in order. I loved what came along with that- no crowd, quiet, peaceful and in the woods decidedly cooler than on hot concrete. The "rooms" are housed in buildings each with four rooms- two up, two down- the design allows for all the wonderful light and views and serenity. SO, if you want a bellhop and a valet, don't bother, it's not that kind of place. The architecture screams 80's, but it IS architecturally unique; it should stay true to its character. It reminds me very much of a Frank Lloyd Wright-designed place. It is not a Marriott or Hilton. I read some reviews saying the place needed updating and after being there, those reviews scream "I just don't get it!" That'd be akin to saying Falling Waters should change decor because it's outdated. Clearly the words of under-traveled and under-exposed IMHO. Forehead slap! Ok, now that we've got that covered...
The rooms are VERY generous. The difference between "standard" and "Grand" is that Grand is large enough to have a loveseat-sized sofa with a pull-out in front of the fireplace. The couch was so comfy my son didn't want to use the pull-out. There is a nice fireplace we didn't use- August in Charleston. Things to read, art to look at, a rechargeable flashlight for night-time adventures (very nice touch for this property), umbrellas in stands at the door (also great), "green" guest-gimmes- shampoos, etc. I liked the trail mix instead of chocolates on the pillow! There are built-ins where you'll find nice robes, your coffee pot, iron, etc. Waters in the fridge and a bigger one in the buit-ins. Very nice. The bath area is open to the rest of the unit but the way it's designed there isn't a privacy issue and it makes this place a particularly great place for a romantic weekend (also a pocket door we never used). No complaints regarding cleanliness outside of a few cobwebs in the rafters. Short maid? Whatever. I loved the decor which is a nice combination of functional low country with modern. Stone/Slate bath floor, pine everything else just blends with the natural surroundings. There's a desk, radio/iPhone thingy, places to plug lots of stuff in, wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling shuttered windows which give you all the views or privacy you like, comfy bedding, nice down pillows, good lighting. Everything very functional and efficient and I felt very well thought out.

Here's the best part about this place- it's adjacent to the actual Middleton Place, Historic Landmark, America's Oldest Landscaped Gardens and access was included in our lodging costs. Guests of the Inn can wander the grounds (with flashlight!) after the park closes to park-only guests. Take advantage of having it to yourself. But- it's so much more than that! My kids, daughter especially LOVED the functioning stableyard. OMGosh we chased chickens, peacocks, she showed guinea hens how to flap, over-loved barn kittens, scared the bejesus out of sheep, milked a cow, chatted with the pigs and water buffalo. At breakfast the staff introduced us to Gary the American Alligator (don't feed him!) in the butterfly pond below (there are gators cuz hey, there's water all around). Middleton Place is a seriously (and thankfully- so make a bigger donation) overlooked National Treasure. The grounds and gardens are phenomenal, the views on the river beautiful, the gardens so lovely and peaceful and fun for the kids to run about. BRING PICNIC STUFF! but be mindful this is the South, and there are fire ants. No big deal to those of us used to them. The tour of the home didn't bore my children to death and the docent was obviously in love with sharing her information. The potter and cooper at the stableyard actually interested my kids, especially my 8 year old son who I thought would have been bored to tears- but the staff are very engaging and he thought it was cool. Never once asked for a video game. If you have more time, take a kayak tour of the river, get a wagon ride around the historic grounds, get a horseback ride from the stables. We've already reserved a future weekend here that sadly we'll have to cancel, but we would come here again just to stay here and not leave except to eat. Speaking of food, the included continental breakfast is ok/sufficient, tasty breads, yogurt, fruits and juices, coffee and tea but the homemade granola - OUTSTANDING. The restaurant near the historic house and the one serving breakfast at the lakehouse (free continental or pay-to-order-hot) are fairly pricey, other guests said they were good (we'd already discovered another local gem for grub and chose to head out for meals). Speaking of meals the Manager's Reception was nice with good wine and enough shrimp for an army. My kids used the pool, it is basic but large, quiet, plenty of towels in a nice grotto on the river. I think we were the only folks with kids there- a very young professional type set was there along with older couples having a romantic jaunt. I'd leave under-3 toddlers/babies home if you can- stairs, sharp corners, gators, mosquitoes and not keeping the quiet ambience.

In other words, go with the right mindset and you will not be disappointed. I'll go again and never even consider going to see downtown Charleston and wouldn't feel I'd missed anything. Romantic, historic, unique, affordable, charming. Can't ask for more than that for a weekend or a week. Enjoy!

Room Tip: If budget is an issue, just get the woods view room. You'll have the best views on foot anyway.