“Great experience at the annex”

Charleston's NotSo Hostel
Los Angeles, California
“Great experience at the annex”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

I stayed at the Annex - and it was wonderful. The hosts were friendly and helpful. My room (Kingsolver) was spacious and comfortable. Parking available on property. Walking distance to King Avenue and great restaurants. All of the guests (me included) happened to be older women (35+), so it is not JUST for college kids. Truly a wonderful experience.

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Frankfurt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

This hostel is truly the only accomodation which is affordable in this extremly expensive city. Please do yourself a favor and book in advance. When we arrived every bed was already booked but the Lady at the reception was so nice to note our phone# in case someone cancelled and guess what happened ;-) at 11pm someone cancelled his reservation just before we wanted to leave town. We were extremely lucky.
The Hotel itself is in an old but charming house with lots of lovely details. It is clean. The breakfast (coffee, bagels, several spreads) is perfectly fine. The only downside is that there are only 2 bathrooms for so many rooms and guests.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Bellevue, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

Very hospitable and friendly!!!; helpful staff!...clean...swing on the porch...wonderful hot shower!!!...free washer and dryer!...met many great travelers...one of the best hostels I stayed at overall!

Room Tip: The middle house was very nice and quiet and with bathroom closeby
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

This hostel is small, friendly and very clean. It's about a 15 minute walk into town, however there are some great eateries closer by so if you're exhausted at the end of the day, you don't have to walk any further than a couple of blocks for a good meal. I loved walking through Charleston, but the hostel rents out bikes if you'd prefer an easier way to get around.
The bagels at breakfast were delicious!
I'd definitely stay here again and would recommend it to travelers of all ages.

• Stayed October 2013
Fletcher, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

This is a great place to stay if you are traveling through Charleston. My boyfriend and I were there Labor Day weekend, 2013 and we will be back on our next trip to Charleston. The location is great, very close to plenty of bars, restaurants, shopping in the Charleston area. It was nice being able to meet fellow travelers and having other people to bum around with.

I do have some suggestions WHEN you visit The Not So Hostel though:
1) Bring shower shoes. The showers are clean and taken care of, but lets be honest, its like living in a dorm. Better safe than sorry.
2) Possibly, bring another fan? We were there over Labor day, second floor room and it was hot.
3) Bring your own sheets, if you make a reservation, you're aware of what size mattress you'll have. They do supply them, but they are well used and the elastic around the fitted sheet kept coming up for us. And towels, bring those too!

The only possible negative I would have to say is that there are only two restrooms. When we were there, they were booked solid, so there is a chance that it's not too bad during less busy times.

Overall, great, awesome, fantastic place to stay. Be sure to say "Hi' to Leo too, he's the orange cat that lives there. He's a sweetie.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bordeaux, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

Such a nice place, just outside the city center, but still walking distance! The people were nice, the city is so nice. Bagels in the morning were amazing, and the front porch before night!
One of the best hostels I've done in my life!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

When I travel I usually stay in hostels because I often feel lonely when I stay in hotels (I often travel alone). Generally the cities I visit have several hostels to choose from. Not Charleston. Due to the lack of options, I really was not expecting much from the Not So Hostel.

About a week before my trip I lost my credit card and I immediately contacted my credit card company and asked them to expedite a new card. I waited and waited and when I called them about my card, the person I had spoken to about sending a replacement, didn't and there was not enough time for me to get a new card before my trip. I began to panic. Although I had cash, it is important for me to carry a credit card in case of an emergency. I was going to be in Charleston for a week after all. There were several options available to me, and I chose to contact the hostel for permission to have the card sent to them. The manager Victoria was absolutely amazing about the whole matter and gave me permission to have the card sent to the hostel. What a relief!

Check-in at the hostel is 5pm, which is quite late for a hostel, though they did provide you with the WiFi password in advance and are given permission to chill at the hostel. Check-in was not a problem for me because my flight was delayed and I did not reach the hostel until 5:30pm.

The hostel itself was quite charming. I stayed in the Cyprus room which is supposed to be the quietest of the bunch. Since beds are not assigned to you, but instead it is first come first serve, I was able to choose my own bed since I had arrived before all the other guests that were staying in the room with me (I prefer to sleep on bottom bunks). I did notice in my stay that people were having some problems getting up and down the top bunks because of the fans and awkward stairs. But overall all the guests seemed content. There is a kitchen that you share and this kitchen is equipped with everything you need to cook (cutlery, pans, pots, microwave, stove, etc). Every morning starting at about 8:30am there is a "buffet-style" breakfast with bagels, English muffins, coffee and tea. There are also an array of spreads to choose from such as cream cheese and Nutella.

Transportation is available near and around the hostel, though as I have mentioned in other posts, public transit in Charleston is unreliable since they hardly ever show up on time. There is plenty of parking at the hostel, so many people either drove to the hostel or rented a car during their stay in Charleston. I felt crippled because I don't drive and it seems that driving is almost necessary in Charleston. So if you are going to be using the public transit system, be warned that you will need a lot of patience.

I recommend this hostel because the rooms were good (specially liked the fan on each bed. Awesome!), the kitchens were great, the staff was friendly and professional, and it was usually filled with guests, so meeting people was not a problem. I see what other guests mean by the plastic on the beds being annoying, etc. But hey, you are paying under $30 a night. I have stayed in over 40 hostels during my travels, and these concerns were not a deal breaker. One thing that really frustrated me though was the weak WiFi signal that I got at the Cyprus room, though the internet in the main building was strong.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo