“Great hostel”

Charleston's NotSo Hostel
Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

This hostel is small, friendly and very clean. It's about a 15 minute walk into town, however there are some great eateries closer by so if you're exhausted at the end of the day, you don't have to walk any further than a couple of blocks for a good meal. I loved walking through Charleston, but the hostel rents out bikes if you'd prefer an easier way to get around.
The bagels at breakfast were delicious!
I'd definitely stay here again and would recommend it to travelers of all ages.

• Stayed: October 2013
There are newer reviews for Charleston's NotSo Hostel

Reviewed September 27, 2013

This is a great place to stay if you are traveling through Charleston. My boyfriend and I were there Labor Day weekend, 2013 and we will be back on our next trip to Charleston. The location is great, very close to plenty of bars, restaurants, shopping in the Charleston area. It was nice being able to meet fellow travelers and having other people to bum around with.

I do have some suggestions WHEN you visit The Not So Hostel though:
1) Bring shower shoes. The showers are clean and taken care of, but lets be honest, its like living in a dorm. Better safe than sorry.
2) Possibly, bring another fan? We were there over Labor day, second floor room and it was hot.
3) Bring your own sheets, if you make a reservation, you're aware of what size mattress you'll have. They do supply them, but they are well used and the elastic around the fitted sheet kept coming up for us. And towels, bring those too!

The only possible negative I would have to say is that there are only two restrooms. When we were there, they were booked solid, so there is a chance that it's not too bad during less busy times.

Overall, great, awesome, fantastic place to stay. Be sure to say "Hi' to Leo too, he's the orange cat that lives there. He's a sweetie.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Such a nice place, just outside the city center, but still walking distance! The people were nice, the city is so nice. Bagels in the morning were amazing, and the front porch before night!
One of the best hostels I've done in my life!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 7, 2013

When I travel I usually stay in hostels because I often feel lonely when I stay in hotels (I often travel alone). Generally the cities I visit have several hostels to choose from. Not Charleston. Due to the lack of options, I really was not expecting much from the Not So Hostel.

About a week before my trip I lost my credit card and I immediately contacted my credit card company and asked them to expedite a new card. I waited and waited and when I called them about my card, the person I had spoken to about sending a replacement, didn't and there was not enough time for me to get a new card before my trip. I began to panic. Although I had cash, it is important for me to carry a credit card in case of an emergency. I was going to be in Charleston for a week after all. There were several options available to me, and I chose to contact the hostel for permission to have the card sent to them. The manager Victoria was absolutely amazing about the whole matter and gave me permission to have the card sent to the hostel. What a relief!

Check-in at the hostel is 5pm, which is quite late for a hostel, though they did provide you with the WiFi password in advance and are given permission to chill at the hostel. Check-in was not a problem for me because my flight was delayed and I did not reach the hostel until 5:30pm.

The hostel itself was quite charming. I stayed in the Cyprus room which is supposed to be the quietest of the bunch. Since beds are not assigned to you, but instead it is first come first serve, I was able to choose my own bed since I had arrived before all the other guests that were staying in the room with me (I prefer to sleep on bottom bunks). I did notice in my stay that people were having some problems getting up and down the top bunks because of the fans and awkward stairs. But overall all the guests seemed content. There is a kitchen that you share and this kitchen is equipped with everything you need to cook (cutlery, pans, pots, microwave, stove, etc). Every morning starting at about 8:30am there is a "buffet-style" breakfast with bagels, English muffins, coffee and tea. There are also an array of spreads to choose from such as cream cheese and Nutella.

Transportation is available near and around the hostel, though as I have mentioned in other posts, public transit in Charleston is unreliable since they hardly ever show up on time. There is plenty of parking at the hostel, so many people either drove to the hostel or rented a car during their stay in Charleston. I felt crippled because I don't drive and it seems that driving is almost necessary in Charleston. So if you are going to be using the public transit system, be warned that you will need a lot of patience.

I recommend this hostel because the rooms were good (specially liked the fan on each bed. Awesome!), the kitchens were great, the staff was friendly and professional, and it was usually filled with guests, so meeting people was not a problem. I see what other guests mean by the plastic on the beds being annoying, etc. But hey, you are paying under $30 a night. I have stayed in over 40 hostels during my travels, and these concerns were not a deal breaker. One thing that really frustrated me though was the weak WiFi signal that I got at the Cyprus room, though the internet in the main building was strong.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 31, 2013

granted, a cousin you've never met--- but still, family is family, right? I think the family feel is the best way to describe the NotSo Hostel. It was my first time staying in a hostel, so I had to get used to the lack of "amenities" that come with a hotel, but the other niceties made up for it.

I stayed at the Annex location in the Kendall room. It definitely has a staying with relatives feel because it's a house with several rooms, a couple upstairs and three downstairs, including the Kendall. The Kendall had its own bathroom and kitchenette, with sink, microwave, minifridge and hot plate. The Annex has a "house Dad," Jeremy, who lives in a room to the right of the kitchen-- he has a dog that is very small and very cute :). At the Annex, the oatmeal breakfast is do-it yourself-- so is the coffee. There is a common area with a TV and a small DVD collection and a computer with internet access and printer. It was pretty quiet, except for one morning, I think I was woken up by someone scraping a pan making oatmeal, but it wasn't that big of a deal.

Overall, it was great for what I needed. I traveled to Charleston for a short vacation (2 nights, 3 days) and I didn't want to stay in a stuffy overpriced hotel. The location was great-- I was able to walk from the hostel to the downtown area all three days within 20 minutes. I would recommend it for anyone who is looking for about the same or just wanting to try something different.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

This hostel was fab from start to finish - I arrived early (7amish) on our check-in day as I'd come by the early morning Amtrak but I was able to leave my bags, nap on the upstairs porch and have breakfast while I was waiting for our room to be ready. We stayed in the co-ed Andrew Adams dorm which was fairly spacious, cool and with an old fireplace as a feature. Each bed had a mini fan (which we didn't really need to use even in August) and we each were given a comforter along with sheets. Beds were comfy and there were lockers big enough for a traveller's backpack (bring your own lock). Our roommates were really friendly but respectful - no one came in later than 11pm!

The hostel also had really good amenities - 2 kitchens, one for the yummy bagel and green tea breakfast (plenty of spreads inc. Nutella) and the other for cooking. There was also a free food drawer. Two bathrooms, both clean with large hot showers. The upstairs porch was also a really cool place to hang out and there was free wifi throughout the building. The other travellers we met were really friendly too - a lot of Brits who'd just finished summer camp jobs and a range of Americans. Also a shout out to the staff who were great, particularly Jeremy who sorted out my room early and lent us laundry detergent.

You can rent bikes or take the trolley but we just walked to the historical district each day - about a 30-40 minute walk. We also took a cab to Boone Hall Plantation which worked out at $16 from the hostel for 3 of us. There are also some restaurants/bars a 5 minute walk down Spring St. The hostel also felt pretty safe.

Also if you come from Amtrak book a Safety Cab, don't just pick up one from the station and pay $25 rather than $12! You can get a bus from meeting st/spring st for$1.75 which drops off by a super save store 5 mins from amtrak but it's a bit of a walk either side if you have luggage.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank RachelBL
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Even though my stay was in November last year, I still think about this place quite a bit.
All staff members were really friendly.
The other guests were from all over the world, interesting and sympathetic.
There are several well-equipped kitchens, and the bathrooms were nice and clean.
It is located within walking distance of most things.

Would come back any time.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo