“Great staff, charming location, friendly guests”

Charleston's NotSo Hostel
Mainz, Germany
“Great staff, charming location, friendly guests”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Even though my stay was in November last year, I still think about this place quite a bit.
All staff members were really friendly.
The other guests were from all over the world, interesting and sympathetic.
There are several well-equipped kitchens, and the bathrooms were nice and clean.
It is located within walking distance of most things.

Would come back any time.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
boca raton
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the kenall room which is basically a private suite. The only bad thing about the room is the sink in the shower, its not necessary. Since this is at the annex the house is quiet and people mostly keep to themselves, the other building I'm sure is the opposite since it has dorms. Charleston's hotels are Very expensive and even if you've never stayed at a hostel before, try it and you'll see the difference.

• Stayed August 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed August 5, 2013

4 of us visited Charleston this past weekend. We were out and about most of the day and only went back to our rooms at night for board. So it worked out for us for the price you really can't beat it. Occasionally there's a line to the bathroom. The room gets hot at night upstairs. Once again, the place is cheap lodging, not a 4 star hotel. The staff, Bailey is friendly. There's free breakfast. It's close to the center of town. It was a bit dusty but there were no bugs or anything like that. Overall I would recommend this place. But if you're a clean freak who can't handle heat, or minor discomfort you might not like it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank yuhoo7
Egypt
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed at the annex for 2 nights in the Monet Room. The location of the annex is nice & within a walking distance to king street with lots of shops & stores, there is also free parking at the back of the building.
The annex has 5 rooms in total & 2 bathrooms & a kitchen, my room was the only one on the ground floor & all the rest as well as the bathrooms were on the first floor. The room was of good size & the bed was comfortable enough & there were a couple of chairs & the room was nicely decorated. The room, bathrooms & all the common areas were very clean.
The only problem I had with this room was the noise. Since it is on the ground floor, there was a lot of noise from the street & to make matters worse, the hostel management decided to hang a swing where people can sit on right next to the room window & during both nights guests used this swing late at night & I literally heard every word they were saying & had to come out & ask them to lower their voices.
For me, the hostel is clean & affordable and I found the annex location to be perfect, but if I was to go there again, I will definitely make sure to chose a room on the 1st floor & never the Monet room again until they move this swing.

Room Tip: Don't chose the Monet Room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Mobz11
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed in the India room with our 2 kids and had a blast walking Charleston...aided by delicious bagels and nutella for breakfast. It's a great wanderlust atmosphere and close to many good restaurants - this is a true getaway!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
London, Canada
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed in the Austria room for 3 nights. Really enjoyed our stay. The room was basic, but it was all we needed for our stay. The bathroom was very nice for a hostel! The ambiance of the place was really good and the help-yourself breakfast bagels were very much appreciated in the morning. The staff were friendly and made us feel welcome. Downtown isn't too far away, but is a 20 min walk still. However, there is a free trolley that stops just round the corner and drops you right into downtown. All-in-all we enjoyed our stay at the NotSo Hostel and would recommend it for anyone staying in Charleston on a budget.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Gunnison, Colorado
Reviewed July 25, 2013

The NotSo Hostel was such a great find and the staff was super friendly. I stayed in the Brazil Room, a private room, since I had my dog with me. Everything was kept super clean, decorated adorably, and I had no problems with noise. The hostel is within walking distance of restaurants, shops, yoga, King Street, etc & even though I was just passing through, I decided to stay an extra night because I enjoyed it so much. There are booklets in each of the rooms that staff put together of their suggestions on places to go, things to do, where to eat, etc which is super helpful when you're in an unfamiliar place. All the other guests I met were very friendly & I felt like the southern charm of both Charleston & the hostel really rubbed off on everyone & made the experience great. I would definitely recommend this place!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo