“Great Experience; Great Location”

Charleston's NotSo Hostel
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Never stayed at a hostel but was very impressed. Staff was very friendly. The atmosphere was very laid back and inviting. Learning about other visitors' travels around the breakfast table was a great experience and it was fun to share our trip plans as well. My only suggestion is to offer a mattress pad; sheets by themselves reminded me of summer camp. Not uncomfortable but a bit too minimal.

Some other reviews state that it is too far from downtown but I disagree... I've paid for metered street parking in Charleston and still had to walk further. I've visit Charleston at least once per year but rarely get to enjoy the downtown because of road traffic and the cost and difficulty finding parking. Finding the NotSo Hostel has made the beauty and character of Charleston accessible. I'm hoping to return with my wife in a few weeks.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I had high hopes for notsohostel, which is somewhat unlike me, so maybe that's where I went wrong. My main gripe was the fact the hostel is a good 40min walk from the main sights of the oldtown. Granted there are public and free buses into town so this wasn't a huge issue. Secondly, the hostel is laid out with lots of rooms, but not much communal space so it's not easy to meet other travellers. Breakfast was served 9 til 10 which meant I missed it everyday because I wake about 7.30 and did't see the point in waiting for a stale bagel, frozen cream cheese and coffee with sachet creamer. There were no decent convenience stores nearby, although one is apparently opening soon. There are a couple of food places/restaurants nearby.

My other disappointment was the staff who seemed unfriendly. I had a bunch of questions when I arrived and had to wait til 5pm before any staff were available, but then I got the impression I was annoying her. The staff seem to live on site and work 5 til 10 so this might be why. Also I could not tell guests from staff.

Finally, I was lucky I went off season and my middle house dorm was quiet. In high season there would be 12 or so girls to one bathroom, with no separate toilet. That would have sucked.

Overall, got what I paid for, but would look to stay elsewhere next time. Positives were free laundry, parking and building with character.

Room Tip: Book a private in the annex house or a small dorm in one of the other houses away from the main hous...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 17, 2012

The hostel itself is nice enough, but it was a lot further out from the main town areas than I had thought it would be based on the information on the website - a consideration when visiting in the summer as the weather is so hot and humid.

The free parking and breakfast were really appreciated, though the main kitchen was tiny (we had a private room which had another kitchen attached though).

The room itself was on the small side, but was clean enough, as was the bathroom.

All in all a decent enough hostel with enough 'freebies' to make it worthwhile.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Charleston is not an easy place to visit cheaply. Visitors usually choose to splurge on a downtown hotel or stay outside the city and save some bucks, but be continually frustrated by traffic. Charleston's Not So Hostel is a great way to save some money on lodging and be able to access the best of downtown's nightlife, eateries, and historic sites by foot and bike. I'm not a fan of the dorm rooms, too much noise from youngsters and no privacy. However, the private rooms offer privacy and comfort for travelers young and old.

Room Tip: Rooms in the middle house are quieter. The front house is where the main kitchens and lobbies are l...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 27, 2012

great place, great atmosphere, very laid back, great price, great situation. Thanks NotSo Hostel, I loved a lot of things about your place and will come back on my next trip. Charleston is magic. I particularly appreciated your generosity: "as much as you want to eat" breakfast, free shower, free laundry!!! free Internet, and great staff. WELL DONE AND KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! Maybe just update some of the writings on the wall so that people know for example the exact times for breakfast (it doesn't start at 7 from what I've seen...)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank algex
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed in a private room which had seemingly not been cleaned in some time - there was a lot of dirt on the floor, sand on the bed, and dirty socks in the closet. While we were provided with clean sheets, they were basically plastic and the mattress was worse than any college dorm mattress I've slept on. The walls were very thin and we had essentially no privacy. At 2:30AM some very drunk men sleeping in the room next door attempted to come into our room thinking it was theirs.

While the staff was nice to us and said they would refund our second night (we are still waiting) they were pretty unapologetic about the state of the room.

Definitely would not stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
notsohostel, Manager at Charleston's NotSo Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Thank you for your review. If you would be willing to email me with the details of your stay, I would like to look into it so that I can improve for the future. Were you staying at the main location or the annex? Also, please let me know the status of your refund so I can make sure it goes through. I apologize for the noise and do hope you will return in the future as most of our guests love the hostel and the people they meet here.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Got in to this hostel last minute and was met by a super cool staff that made us feel welcome and oriented us to the city. We stayed in the dorm room which was inexpensive, clean and surprisingly chill. All in all I really enjoyed my visit and will definitely be back next time I find myself in Charleston!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business