“Lovely stay; best coffee of my life”

Charleston's NotSo Hostel
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Lovely stay; best coffee of my life”
Reviewed April 15, 2011

Rooms were very clean. Staff was extremely friendly and provided excellent tips on where to go and how to get there. Honestly, the morning coffee was the best coffee I have ever tasted -- locally roasted, ground fresh in the morning. Bagels were provided for breakfast. Beautifully set under oaks and palms; lovely front porches (yes, more than one). A bit of a walk from the bustle of "downtown" but I enjoyed seeing a few residential streets before entering the main commercial core.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
charlotte, nc
Reviewed April 11, 2011

This is the first hostel I've been to in the US, but I found it to be the bottom of the barrel. The bathrooms were GROSS!! I woke up to find our shared toilet was clogged, so went to the main building and the other bathroom was out-of-order. Also, no soap in the bathroom doesn't seem hygienic! There was hair in the bathroom sink and on the floor -- a general scummy feel (we bought flip flops before showering!). It would have been a much better experience if someone spent some time in the bathroom with Clorox! Also, the comforter in our room was really dingy -- literally brown around the edges -- luckily it was warm enough so we didn't need to touch it. The hostel goes for the shabby chic look, which is fine, but tends much more on the former than the latter. Also, the bed isn't very comfortable; I could feel my husband move in our double bed even when he was turning the page of his book. This place could be very nice for the budget traveler-- but needs some basic improvements to make it worthwhile.
Oh, two other complaints: No coffee available until 9am; and you have to bring your own towel or pay $1 to use the hostel's.
Plus side: Convenient location; tables/chairs on porch; the 10P-8A quiet hours were enforced; and, of course, a cheap rate.

Room Tip: The annex is about 1 mile from the main building
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
notsohostel, Manager at Charleston's NotSo Hostel, responded to this review, June 8, 2011
Thank you for your comments. We have since hired a professional cleaner to come and deep clean the hostel and have the desk staff cleaning the bathrooms everyday. We have fixed the fan that was causing problems in one of the bathrooms and I appreciate your feedback to make the hostel a better, more beautiful place for guests to enjoy.
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed April 7, 2011

I stayed at the Notso Hostel for a couple of nights in April of 2011 and had an awesome experience. I was traveling solo and really appreciated the sense of community that came with the stay. To me experiencing a new city is more fun when you have people outside your group to chat with and gain perspective, insight and to have fun with if you wish. The staff at the hostel was very accomodating and always happy to answer questions and give suggestions. I would recommend the Notso Hostel for anyone wanting to get out and have a fun and social experience in Charleston.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Rumson, New Jersey
Reviewed April 5, 2011

My group, the Rumson Hash House Harriers, has stayed at the hostel every year for over 5 years. We all enjoy the ambiance.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 4, 2011

First time at a hostel so I wasn't really sure what to expect. Cool house. Convenient location. Friendly folks. People were quiet at night so u could sleep. Small rooms. It was definitely in need of some deep cleaning. White walls were really dirty. Layer of dust on baseboards. Maybe I'm too picky. Basic stuff was clean. Loved the cafe next door.

• Stayed April 2011
Reviewed March 31, 2011

My wife, son, and I spent four nights at the 33 Cannon Annex which consists of 6 private rooms. We stayed in the Kingsolver Room. Other than some huge dust bunnies under the chair that we had to move, everything was very clean from the kitchen to the bathrooms. It was very quiet and location is very convenient to everything you would want to see in charleston.

• Stayed March 2011
Ocean City, MD
Reviewed March 22, 2011

We actually stayed at the Notso Hostel's new Annex on 33 Cannon Street in the Kingsolver Room. The Annex is actually a few blocks closer to King Street which worked out well because we didn't rent a car and just walked into town each day. If you can handle "no frill" accomodations, this place is great. They provide sheets and towels and there were plenty of clean extras if needed. The house was nice and quiet. Our room was right next to the larger upstairs bathroom and we never had to wait to use it. I'm pretty sure the house was fully booked, however we rarely saw anyone and just did our own thing which was nice.

The Hominy Grill on Rutledge is a short walk away and was DELICIOUS. Buckweat pancakes, awesome grits, omelettes with avocado, pumpkin ginger bread...soo good! Basil is a short walk on King Street...great Thai food. And Seeking Indigo on King has a chi gong massage (with Greg) that is well worth the price tag...especially after all the walking on King Street!

My one recommendation for the Notso Hostel:
The bathroom upstairs is updated and really spacious and nice, however...
The shower should be scrubbed every couple days at least... and the bath mat should be swapped out every couple days as well. When we arrived the shower floor was really grimy and badly in need of a scrub. It remained that way for the next four days that we were there. Same with the bath mat.

A simple thing that would have made a big difference!

Other than that, we thoroughly enoyed our stay.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple