“GONE TO SEED”
Review of Gateway Walk

Gateway Walk
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We found this attraction on TripAdvisor. The address was easy to find. Several gates on three sides were open.

The cemetery, as advertised, is over grown with trees, flowers and weeds. However, the mood is excellent. Many headstones tell stories that are much more than born and died. Many are covered with growth. Several are against the foundation of modern buildings. There are Civil War fallen buried there.

5  Thank Chuck8700

Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

We were a little confused what this site was but a fun old graveyard with headstone dating back to the 1700's

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Thanks to the previous reviewers for all the info and for the walking tour map. We printed out the map and did the Gateway Walk. As mentioned previously, some of the gates were locked or no longer accessible, so keep that in mind. You will just have to walk around the sides of the buildings on the street instead. While there were some barriers to us doing the walk as it was intended, I would definitely recommend it to others. It's a nice way to explore the historic churches and grave markers.

1  Thank southerngirl745
Reviewed April 23, 2013

This was our first visit to Charleston and we found this walk completely by accident as we were walking down King Street late one afternoon. Can I just say, I loved it so much we came back again the next morning. The lovely shaded walk from King Street just drew us in. As one reviewer said, the Utilitarian graveyard is overgrown with flowers, ferns and moss and it is one of the MOST beautiful places I have ever seen. I walked around the other areas of the walk but quickly came back to this side. If you need a perfectly manicured graveyard, which I don't, then it's not for you. I found the old stones among all the wildness touching and completely charming. Even my husband, who really doesn't get into this kind of thing, thought it was pretty amazing. I hope they never change it, it was a lovely surprise. I will come back again if we ever get back to Charleston.

6  Thank misslizzie78
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I have to agree with the other reviewer of the Gateway Walk (Falling into Neglect), and I was very disappointed to find this wonderful walk no longer easy to navigate. We too found gates locked at the beginning of the walk and had to find our way between churches. The Unitarian cemetery has always looked overgrown, so please don't be disappointed to find it so. In fact I find a kind of sad romance in its neglect. Once we crossed back over to St. John's I was on familiar territory, but then I could not find any of the Gateway Marker plaques that were supposed to lead the way through the churchyard. Then suddenly we found ourselves up against brick walls with no access on to King Street directly across from the Charleston Library Society. What happened to the access I have no idea. You have to leave the churchyard by a side gate and walk around the block to get back to the Gateway Walk. One other sad piece for me was that the Persephone Fountain in back of the Gibbes Museum of Art was dry. This is a lovely little piece of sculpture and water and should have been turned on by this time in the spring. Almost all of the rest of the walk was as beautiful as I remember, until we came to the joining of the Circular Congregational Church cemetery and St. Philip's Graveyard, where the gate was locked. This should not be so. The Gateway Walk should be open during all daylight hours, and I will be writing to the Charleston Garden Club to ask why this situation can't be remedied. Please don't give up on this walk! You can still find your way around and these churches and tombstones are worth your while. There is so much quiet beauty and history here.

2  Thank Gryfudd