“Fabulous Hotel”

Ranked #8 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Fabulous Hotel”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

I have to say that this is a great hotel. The attention to detail and the service provided by the doormen, valet, bellmen, housekeeping, room service, front desk, etc. are second to none. The bed and pillows were the best I have ever experienced. The location of the hotel could not be better. The food from room servie was excellent as well and we had both breakfast and dinner.

I have stayed in alot of upscale hotels and this is my best experience with any hotel.

If I had to say anything negative would be the martini prices. While they are EXCELLENT, at $17 each I found that to be too pricey.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Thank you for being our guest and staying with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and the comfort of the beds and pillow. I very much appreciate the kind comments toward the staff which I will gladly share with them. With reference to your martini, I am glad you found it excellent and can assure you that we do our very best to keep the cost down based upon the type of martini. We look forward to your next visit with us. Thank you for sharing your kind comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
Milano, Italia
Reviewed July 23, 2014

As the hotel is at the corner of East Bay st. and Market st. , there is hardly a better location in Charleston. As you enter it almost looks like you are entering a high class restaurant, which you are as the hotel restaurant is, in fact, great. The hotel is, of course, a lot more. Large rooms with all the amenities, beautiful roof bar with swimming pool. Probably, the best in Charleston. The staff is very professional. All this makes for a very comfortable experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Novato, California
Reviewed July 23, 2014

The location is perfect, walk to everything. This is a grand old style hotel, but elegant in every way. The roof top pool and bar is a great place to view the surrounding area and enjoy a cool drink. We especially enjoyed our waitress, Jessica, who displayed Southern Hospitality at its best.
The Market Pavilion is definitely on the top of our list for places to stay in Charleston.

Room Tip: king bed great
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Baltimore
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I recently spent an evening at this hotel on a very enjoyable girls' getaway. The pros:

- Central location
- Conveniently served continental breakfast
- Super comfortable beds
- Nice, spacious bathrooms

The rooftop deck is nice, but the pool is fairly tiny. We were pretty disappointed in the quality of the drinks -- expensive and pretty weak.

I am a pretty low maintenance traveler, but a couple of things soured me on this hotel's customer service, especially considering the service I have received at comparable or more modest hotels. The first was that we requested a late check-out for one of our rooms so one of my travel companions could have quiet space for a business call that, unfortunately, conflicted with the check-out room. Our request was initially denied and we did not get the late check-out as requested without a manager's involvement when one of my friends casually mentioned it.

One of my other travel companions purchased an expensive dress and, much to her distress, forgot to take the shopping bag with her. She called the hotel multiple times in her panic and was repeatedly told she could not be helped until the concierge could deal with the matter. After not receiving a return call particularly quickly she was brusquely informed she should stop calling. The great news is that the dress was ultimately recovered. However, nearly two weeks later, she has not received it. They charged her shipping costs -- which was fine -- but there was a lot of red tape involved.

This hotel was not a perfect match for a group of women in their 30s and early 40s -- it definitely has more appeal for an older clientele. For the money, the Vendue seemed much more interesting and modern. One of my travel companions is now intending to book the Vendue for a friend's 40th birthday party weekend.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank TonyAndVan
Wadmalaw Island, South Carolina
Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

We stay here as often as possible and they never disappoint. We checked in very late (2am) after a family wedding reception. The entire staff was as attentive and professional as they are when you arrive at a normal hour. The room was beautiful and very clean. I love the robe and slippers with turn down service. This is the only hotel where my husband ever wants to stay and we have stayed in most of the other hotels downtown Charleston. We recommended the Market Pavilion every chance we get.

Stayed July 2014
Vestavia Hills, Alabama
Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

I am a platinum marriott member. After a sleepless night and 1 star customer service at a marriott property near King Street, I called the Market Pavilion and spoke with Grant. I explained my experience the previous night, and he assured me that I would be taken care of if I choose to move to the Market Pavilion. I took the challenge and checked in. From my first interaction with the valet to my departing goodbye, I was treated with phenomenal care. My favorite luxury chain hotels are the Four Seasons and the Ritz Carlton. The service that I received is on par if not superior to those fine establishments. The room was excellent from the comfort of the bed to the beautiful bathrooms. The rooftop pool and bar offer the best views of Charleston and a great retreat to hang out by the pool. Hats off to the staff of the Market Pavilion. You have mastered customer service in a truly elegant hotel. I will be back. You made my trip and gained my loyalty.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you for being our guest and staying with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel. We are very happy that you decided to make the move and stay with us. As being well traveled and having stayed at the finest hotels in the world, I am very honored by your comments. I am also pleased that you were able to enjoy the Pavilion Bar high atop the hotel. We do look forward to you next visit and thank you for posting your review.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed July 14, 2014

This hotel was great. The concierge was very helpful, setting us up with tours and making restaurant recommendations. The bartenders were just OK as was the rooftop bar. The concierge floor was great. Just being able to grab a water before heading out was worth the extra money. Stay on this floor. The room was comfortable. We were given a 50 dollar voucher for food and drink in the hotel and used it every night. That was really nice.

Negatives:
My daughter left her ipad in the car after they had parked it. When she asked them to retrieve it, they went to the wrong car. They called up to the room a few times and they finally found the right car.

Upon check in, the person at the front desk attempted to charge the wrong daily rate for our room. It took her a few minutes to find the correct reservation.

Aside from these two incidences, this hotel was perfect. I would definitely recomend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
As being a senior contributor to TripAdvisor, we very much appreciate you posting your comments. I first would like to thank you for being our guest and staying with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am glad you were able to use the $50.00 food & beverage voucher and found that the concierge was very helpful during your stay. I do apologize for the confusion regarding your vehicle and miss communication on our part. This has been corrected and addressed with the team. In addition, I did see any wrong daily rate on your portfolio but we do quote an average nightly rate based upon the number of nights staying with us. I am glad that you would return and recommend us and we look forward to your next visit.