“Utterly charming hotel!”

Market Pavilion Hotel
Ranked #7 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We stayed at the Market Pavilion Hotel on our past two trips to Charleston and we thoroughly enjoyed our stays. The location is fantastic--right in the center of town within walking distance of everything in downtown Charleston. When you first arrive at the hotel you most likely will be greeted by Havin the personable and welcoming doorman. He definitely sets the mood for your stay in Charleston! The rooms are good sized and very comfortable. The continental breakfast that comes with your room is a nice touch, but if you want something more substantial than coffee, juice and pastries (they are delicious) you'll have to to walk to one of the nearby restaurants. For lunch and dinner their rooftop bar/restaurant is fantastic and has great views over the rooftops of the city. Their steakhouse, Grill 225, is one of our all-time favorite steakhouses. The food is delicious and the waiters are always top notch. We received meal vouchers with our room and our only complaint is that their use is really restrictive. You have to have them with you and every time you use them you get a new one with the balance remaining. They make it a bit complicated for guests as most hotels just credit them to your room. Aside from that we loved the hotel and will definitely stay again on our next trip!

There are newer reviews for Market Pavilion Hotel

Reviewed April 28, 2014

There were parts of this hotel which were good…lunch on the roof ( best crab cocktail ever!) and the location. The rooms are a disappointment however. The furniture is overly large and the "art" work is of poor quality. The room could have been anywhere.
Continental breakfast on each floor is a good idea and the service personnel are efficient and friendly. There are better places to stay with more Southern charm than this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

Wow. Although the hotel is magnificent what keeps bringing my wife and I back is the staff at the rooftop bar. Dave and Junior go the extra length to make you feel like a regular. Your neighborhood bar away from home. View is best in Charleston. We will be back. Good job!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Thank you for sharing such kind comments and joining us at the Pavilion Bar. We are pleased you stay with us and will gladly share your kind comments with Dave and Junior. We pride ourselves on making all our guests feel like home away from home when needed. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

The hotel is in a great location and is quite lovely. The rooms easily fit our family and we even had room for a pack n play. Every morning there were pastries for breakfast on each floor as well as coffee, fruit and juice. All in all a nice touch

It's not 5 star though. From simple things like running out of Hermes toiletries during our four day stay to the more annoying - the concierge saying she was drawing a bank when asked for a restaurant recommend for lunch; we were not impressed with the service

We tried to eat @ the restaurant 2 times and each time told they were booked but they were never more than 40percent full. We were offered a choice of eating on the roof in the pouring rain or waiting for a bar table. The bar does not take reservations and only seats 10.

Also this is the first time we were underwhelmed by a concierge level. 5 tables, no view, and a small offering of cheese in the evening. It really was not worth the money. We were lucky enough to get tables but most people had to wait. There is no dedicated concierge for the lounge either as in most hotels. Basically it's extra pastries, some grits, cheese and house wine. Not worth it

The staff in the hotel was lovely but young both in age and in industry. All in all. was a good choice for Charleston but definitely needs. service overhaul

Tip - if you stay make sure you get the $50. night food voucher!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Stephlovestravel

First, thank you for being our guest and staying at the Market Pavilion Hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed our location and the size of your accommodations. I am not sure why you felt we ran out of Hermes as we do not have any notes from you requesting any additional during your stay with us. I can assure you that we do everything we can to accommodate our guests needs. As for our concierge, we have some of the most season concierges in Charleston who know various restaurants and offer recommendations based upon your needs and budget. We have never not been able to provide a recommendation based upon this criteria. Regarding dining with us at Grill 225, we do also provide open seating at the Grill Bar. We do have reservation commitments and groups which reserve tables so you may have not been able to be seated within this time period. I wish we could have accommodated you. As for our concierge level of benefits, I am not sure why your felt it was not meeting expectations. As you can see by most reviewers, they love and enjoy the service received there. From having full hot American Breakfast consisting of egg soufflé, grits, potatoes, bacon, sausages, fresh orange and grapefruit juices, fresh brewed coffee, assortment of fresh baked pastries, salmon breads, cereal and fresh fruits. Our afternoon high tea provides for an assortment of tea sandwiches and desserts and cookies with hot and cold beverages. In the evening all guests are provided with a selection of cheeses, hot and cold canapés with wine, beer and champagne. Our concierge attendants are experiences and only receive the highest praises of our guests. I apologize if you were looking for something different. With reference to our staff, we have mix of seasoned industry veterans and tenured employees. As being voted the #1 small city hotel by the voters of Travel & Leisure this was based upon the service levels provided by the current staff. I thank you for taking the time to write your review and hope we can have you stay with us in the future.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

We just spent 3 nights at MP. The room was large, lovely, and clean. Terrific service from housekeeping. We ate at the bar every night. Fabulous food and drinks. Loved our bartenders Camden and Cheryl-hardworking, professional, talented. Susanne the concierge was so helpful and accommodating. She worked to find a way to get us to Middleton Plantation, even though we couldn't rent a car-Easter. The front desk crew was friendly and knowledgeable. I rate the MP 5 stars PLUS.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Thank you for staying with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am so glad you enjoyed your accommodations and had terrific service from our housekeeping department. I am also pleased you enjoyed your dining experience at the Grill Bar and thank you for sharing your kind comments for Kamden, Chery and Susanne which I will be happy to share, which I am sure they will appreciate. Thank you for the 5 star plus rating and we look forward to having you return very soon.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Market Pavillion is everything a 5 Star property demands. This formal elegant hotel is a delightful jewel in the Holy City of Charleston, SC Spacious and detailed rooms, views and vistas that must be seen over and over again, exceptional ambience from the rooftop pavillion to the main restaurant, all contribute to this must experience delight.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2014

Thank you for staying with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am pleased that you found our hotel to be elegant and the delightful jewel in Charleston. From the Pavilion Bar to Grill 225, we try to create a unique experience from each for all our guests. Thank you your review and the kind comments, we look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed April 20, 2014

My husband and I had been to Charleston once before, staying in the French
Quarter. The FC consistently gets rated on of the top 100 hotels in the world by Conde Nast and always receives high accolades from other magazines like Travel and Leisure. It was lovely. I wouldn’t say really “special”, but very nice. This time we thought we would stay at the Market Pavilion. One of the Leading Hotels of the World (LWH). Both hotels were choices based on the fact that we wanted to park and leave the car – able to walk to sights and restaurants.

Parking is $20/day. I know this sounds like a lot. But parking is really a pain in Charleston, and I can't tell you how convenient it was to just call and have your car brought around and waiting for you. We originally thought it was a rip-off. Nope. Great convenience. We had our car in and out at least 2 times a day.

The Market Pavilion has a great location. We knew that and it didn’t disappoint. The room was about $433/night I believe, and that came with a $50 per night voucher that could be used for lunch either upstairs or at Grill 225 (their lovely steakhouse restaurant), dinner at Grill 225 drinks in the restaurant or dessert there if that was your pleasure. Very clever of them. They get to charge you more for your room and you think you’re getting “free” something but there ain’t no free lunch – we all know that. But it gives you a nice feeling of getting something for nothing.

We were given room 328 – a concierge level room – and was told that we were upgraded. I’m not sure about that, but they said so, so I have to believe them. So why did they upgrade us without our even asking? I don’t know. We had a “concierge corner king suite” overlooking the Customs House. When I think of a “corner room” I think of it as having windows on at least 2 sides. This did not. No matter. The room was magnificent. Truly. Everything was near perfection. The linens – luscious, the pillows – wonderful, the furniture – lovely, the bathroom – awesome, the bathrobes and towels – plush, the huge Jacuzzi – very romantic and can fit 2 comfortably, Hermes toiletries. Marble everywhere (but only one sink – unusual for a room of this caliber). A bit of an awkward shower as you had to step all the way into it to turn on the water (the controls were on the back wall of a long narrow shower) so you got covered with cold water until it warmed up. Turn down service every night, at an hour we requested. Turn down was immaculate too. Corners of the duvet turned down just so, robes placed perfectly on the bed, a little goodie to eat, and a pair of slippers right by the bedside.

So….a couple of the downsides because everything can’t be perfect. You know those slippers I was talking about by my bedside? I put my feet in them after showering, and was walking around the room. I felt something weird on my foot, and when I took my foot out, in the slipper was a disgusting, used, old band-aid. Sorry. Really gross and inexcusable for a hotel of this caliber. A Leading Hotel of the World!!! So I went down to the front desk with the slipper and band aid still in it, and asked to speak with the manager. I had to wait over 20 minutes to talk with her. Also kind of inexcusable. At least come out from behind wherever you are and tell me you are busy and to come back or tell me it will be a bit of a wait. Nothing. Once she surfaced, she (correctly) apologized, assuring me that the slippers were washed after every guest. OK. Not sure I buy it. Especially in light of the band-aid. It went through a washing machine? OK. She offered to discount our room $50/night (the right thing to do) although I did not ask for any compensation. That was very nice. And classy. And appropriate.

As stated previously, we were on a Concierge Level. You need a key card to get off not only on your own floor, but on the Concierge floor. I guess that’s to keep out those who aren’t paying for what is offered on this level. So we went up every morning for breakfast. Not great. But some sort of egg dish every day, along with fabulous bacon, sausage (which I did not try), potatoes, yogurts, cereal, pastries, coffee, tea, etc. They also offered juices and bottled water. Typical fare really. Not hot and not great, but not bad either, and certainly enough to get your day started nicely without having to stop and have lunch if you didn’t want to. However, there really wasn’t enough seating. There was one morning when we got up to the floor and there was no place to sit except with others on a couch with 2 chairs on either side. Awkward. They need another table or two. In the afternoon around 2pm on the Concierge level (4th floor) they put out finger sandwiches (cannot comment as we never had them) and cookies. The cookies and some sort of “bar/cake” were great. That came along with iced tea, coffee, etc.
At 6pm it was time for hors d’oeuvres and wine. Very nice. Basic white and basic red. You could have as much as you like. And the hors d’oeuvres were very good. I believe that was from 6pm – 8pm. There was always someone there when they were serving something and they were willing to chat, help you with your meal or goodies, or talk to you about things to do while in town.

Every night we went out to dinner, but made sure to come back to Grill 225 to spend our $50 voucher on dessert (each daily voucher was only good until midnight of that day). I must say, they had THE most awesome dessert menu I have every seen. I could have had one of everything. If you like Panna Cotta, this was the best I have ever, ever tasted. We did this every night until the last night when we decided, even though so prohibitively expensive, we would have dinner in the restaurant. We had only made a reservation that day, but they accommodated us with no problem. The dining room is elegant. We were seated at a lovely table and the service was impeccable, as had been the service everywhere throughout our stay (with the exception of one housekeeper on our floor who just had a bad attitude when asked for another shampoo). We ordered steak because what else would you order in a steakhouse? My steak was well cooked, and very tasty. My husband’s on the other hand was not good. Very fatty. And we ordered 2 sides, a hash brown type of potato dish and caramelized onion which were awful (I believe they were $8 and $10 respectively, or $10 and $12 respectively). The onions were nothing but sautéed to a creamy mush, and were white. Caramelized? No, they were not. Gross? Yes they were. The potatoes also were not great, but acceptable. When we told the waiter that the onions were not caramelized he just said “well, those are our caramelized onions” and went to tell the maitre d’. The maitre d’ came over with a menu and asked if we wanted something else but by that point we were done with our steaks and just wanted to leave. The maitre d’ told us they would take it off our bill. Yes, I would hope so. Our waiter never bothered to ask us if we enjoyed the meal, if everything was to our liking, nothing. And then he brought the check. I believe the check came to $161. With the check came a card with a “How Did We Do” type of questionnaire. So I told them. I wrote quite a bit, of both the good and bad. Again, the service was impeccable, until there was actually a problem and then our waiter wasn’t so friendly or so attentive. The rest of the staff though was excellent. We charged the bill to our room and left.

When we went to check out, I took a look at the bill. They did not charge us for most of the meal. It was the right thing to do, although I’m sure that would not have happened had I not written what I did on that card. Nonetheless, it was the sign of a very classy hotel and there is no doubt, if in Charleston, we would return.

All in all, the hotel is wonderful. Staff is attentive, rooms impeccably clean (or at least ours was – we didn’t see others) and accruements and service to the highest level.

Room Tip: The Concierge Level, if you can swing it, is worth it. Room 328 is large and magnificent.
2  Thank jsc0626
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

First thank you for being our guest and staying with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel. We very much appreciate you taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of the hotel and Grill 225. As speaking with you in person, I can assure you that any and all your issues or concerns were immediate addressed and corrected. We did has a courtesy “upgrade” you and you enjoyed the services and many benefits of our concierge level. I apologize for some of your dining experience buy pleased that we tried to accommodate you. We would hope to have you stay with us again in the near future and once again thank you for your review.