“Simply amazing”

Market Pavilion Hotel
Ranked #7 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed January 7, 2014

While traveling back to New Jersey, my friends and I stumbled upon this lovely hotel. It seamless bounds old world charm and southern hospitality with the modern amenities and opulances. You will not be disappointed. Even with a chilly evening, the roof top bar was warm, inviting and fun! It is worth it every penny. I look forward to visiting this hotel and Charleston in warmer times.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Thank you for sharing such kind comments and staying with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel. We are happy that that you and your friends found us and loved the southern hospitality and modern amenities which we offer. I am also glad that you had the opportunity to experience the Pavilion Bar high atop the hotel. We also look forward to your next visit to Charleston and staying with us.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,476)

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Booked an anniversary trip here between Christmas and New Year's Day in 2013. Luckily my husband booked this as I wouldn't normally pay this much to stay in a hotel! Arrived late so we were bumped up to a concierge king room due to overbooking - what a treat!!! On the concierge floor you receive a complimentary hot breakfast, a beautiful display of fruits to choose from and an assortment pastries to die for!! They also offered a light lunch and afternoon tea and evening hors d'oeuvres. We met the most wonderful host (Kim) who seemed to know all the ins and outs of the area. She was very helpful and is truly a gem in this southern crown. The food prepared by Grill 225 was absolutely delicious! I wish we could have eaten in the hotel restaurant as it received great reviews and especially after sampling the food in our hotel floor parlor but we just could not fit in all of our dinning wishes during our 3 day visit.
The building itself is not old but extreme attention and expense were taken to make sure that it feels and looks characteristically true to the era and of what you would expect in a much older hotel. So in my book - that's even better! The rooms and bath were very clean, and well maintained. They even provided robes, slippers, a phone by the toilet (ha) and a complimentary umbrella! The rooftop bar and infinity pool were beautifully done and offered a very inviting atmosphere. I would've loved to have been there for a major holiday to watch fireworks. I understand you must pay a premium in advance for dining spaces during those holidays.
The location was spot on! - next door to the old slave's market and within 2 blocks of the carriage tours. Also plenty of highly rated restaurants within walking distance. Parking is valet only and it did take a while for them to bring our car to us for one of our outings but I truly think that may have been an oversight. Everyone we came in contact with at the hotel seemed to truly desire to enhance our stay. In my opinion this hotel and staff are outstanding - southern hospitality at it's finest!

Room Tip: I imagine any room would be nice but the concierge floor is above and beyond.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

We are so pleased that you stayed with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel for your anniversary trip to Charleston. We very much appreciate you taking the time to do such a comprehensive review of the hotel. It’s great that you had the opportunity to experience the concierge level of the hotel and enjoy all of its amenities. I will also share your kind comments with Kim which I am sure she will appreciate. You also had the opportunity to enjoy the food prepared by Grill 225 and also experience the Pavilion Bar high atop the hotel. We would love for you to return for a major holiday as our hotels guest receive preferences for those seating’s. I very much thank you for the recommendation and look forward to your return visit to us.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

No LHW amenities offered at check in. Awakened in the middle of the night by strange clanging noise. Called front desk twice, offered a different room around 6:00 AM. The hotel would not accept Trip Advisor coupon for $50 per night off food and beverages because we booked through Leading Hotels of the World instead of calling the hotel directly. Long wait for valet to bring car around. Not Happy.

2  Thank RelaxinSC
Reviewed December 31, 2013

What a wonderful hotel! My recent stay was for business and for only one day, but this place is impressive and worth a longer revisit.

First the location is spot-on. If you’re wanting to be centrally located and within walking distance to numerous restaurants, shops, attractions, etc., just go out the door and turn left or right.

The hotel itself is a beautiful example of Charleston charm and immediately takes you back to a time long ago, when elegance and understated excellence were the rule. I could have easily sat for hours in the lobby and accompanying bar area just sipping a glass of wine and relaxing in old world style.

My room was equally pleasing, offering ample space, with tastefully done antique furnishings. What a refreshing change from the cookie cutter chains.

The staff was more than helpful and eager to please with all offering sincere smiles and attention to the details of the guests.

Do yourself a favor. If your next trip takes you to Charleston, treat yourself to a stay at the Market Pavilion and you can thank me for the recommendation later.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review. We very much appreciate you staying with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel. As being a proud member of the Leading Hotels of the World we do differ from the chains but maintain the highest of standards for all our guests. I will also pass your kind comments to our team which I am sure they will appreciate. We look forward to your return visit and hope it could be for longer and if possible on vacation. Thank you once again.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

An early December trip was our first visit to Charleston. The Market Pavilion was our home for 6 days, and the location was perfect for walking, dining, and evenings out. The rooms we shared with our two 20 something sons were comfortable and the balconies were a lovely plus. Upon arrival, we discovered a broken lamp that was replaced right away. Later I noticed a handle missing from the writing table drawer; an oversight yes, but unexpected in such pricey accommodations. The food was delicious, room service great, and the rooftop bar exceptional. The highlight of our stay however was a young lady named Mindy, who did an amazing job at the Grille Bar as well as the rooftop bar. Her personality was friendly and welcoming, and she provided us with great recommendations for things to do, dining, and hopping nightlife. Mindy made our stay personal and she really made us feel welcome in Charleston. She is the type of person who adds an extra special touch to a great vacation. The Market Pavilion is lucky to have her!

• Stayed: December 2013

Thank you for being our guest and staying with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed our stay with our sons also. I do apologize for the minor issues with your room and glad to see that they were taken care of immediately. I am also glad that you were about to enjoy the food, experience room service and the Pavilion Bar high atop the hotel. I will also share your kind comments with Mindy which I am sure she will appreciate. We hope to see you again in the near future and thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

My wife and I booked this boutique hotel in a great location in Charleston for a quiet weekend of good food and shopping in a wonderful city that we have enjoyed for many years. Unfortunately, around 3;45 AM all hell broke loose as we were awakened by a fire alarm. When I called the front desk I asked if the hotel was on fire and if we needed to leave. The person I spoke with said they did not think there was a fire, but that he would call us back shortly to confirm. Then the alarm stopped, and we waited for the call, which of course never came. We assumed it was safe to go back to bed, and shortly thereafter the alarm went off again. This time a fire truck pulled up, lights flashing, just beneath our window. We called the front desk again and, of course, there was no answer. We tried a couple more times and assumed the guy had evacuated the building. On the fourth try he answered, and said that there was no fire, but that they were having problems with the alarm system. We asked if the alarm was now fixed, and he indicated that he wasn't sure. That did not contribute to a restful remainder of our evening. We fully understand that systems can malfunction, but when the safety of guests is involved, a little better follw up and communication is not too much too expect. When I was checking out the next morning I relayed the above saga to the hotel manager who said that the problem with the alarm was not his fault. I told him that when I have been in similar situations in other hotels there was instant communication with all guests to assure them that it was just a false alarm, including either a public address system in the room or a call from the front desk. He then stated that this was a "boutique" hotel and they did not have such systems. I would certainly think that a "boutique" hotel would have superior service and communication with the guests, even if it meant going to each room to assure the guests of their safety. The manager was far more concerned about a street closure next to the hotel that morning than hearing about my concerns, and made that very evident to me and my wife. Great hotel, bad experience.

10  Thank Glenn c
Reviewed December 27, 2013

This was an incredible stay due to the personal and excellent service given by Akshaya on the concierge level at the Market Pavilion. He made our experience one that we will repeat again soon.
The Beavers

Room Tip: The concierge level is really a good value!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am so pleased you were able to say on our concierge level of the hotel and experience the wonderful benefits and the great service provided by Akshaya. I will share your comments with him which I am sure he will appreciate. We look forward to your return very soon.