“Charm, comfort, 5 star hospitality and great location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Market Pavilion Hotel

Market Pavilion Hotel
Ranked #7 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
“Charm, comfort, 5 star hospitality and great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

We stayed for two nights at this beautiful hotel and we loved every minute there. We had no complaints. Susanne at the concierge desk went above and beyond to help us with whatever needs we had. Peter Wright, the General Manager, is visible, friendly and interested in your experience. The beds were super comfortable and the Hermes products are always nice. You are close to everything and if you need a ride anywhere, Susanne will hook you up with Nic, the friendliest bike taxi around. Checking in was easy and the rooftop pavilion is both relaxing and fun, with beautiful views of the sunset.

The owners have done a wonderful job with the architecture and recreating a European/renaissance experience.

Room Tip: The rooms are all nice and they don't have high floors so be happy with the 2nd and 3rd floors.
1 Thank LCBerkey
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you for being our guest at the Market Pavilion and taking the time to share your kind comments with us. I am glad you enjoyed the Pavilion Bar which makes for the perfect sunset or fun and relaxation. We receive many compliments on our bedding and of course the Hermes products in the rooms. I am so pleased that you were able to enjoy them also. I also want to say thank you for your kind words toward me, but the entire team creates each guests experience. I will also share your comments with Susanne which I am sure she will appreciate. We look forward to your next visit with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

Very comfortable with very helpful staff and management, good breakfast on concierge floor and perfect location for sightseeing. We did not try the restaurant but anticipate doing so on our return visit.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thank you for your staying with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed the concierge level of the hotel and our location. I will pass your kind comments to our team and yes we hope on your next visit you can try Grill 225. Looking forward to your return.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

I have stayed at MPH previously so chose that spot for my best friend and I to take a girls' trip to celebrate our long years of friendship. We splurged and upgraded to the concierge level and indeed, that was a great move! Aksnaya and Kim who were hosts on the concierge level made everything special. We were greeted by name each visit. The breakfast was great - lots of options for eating light or enjoying the hot meal offered. The afternoon tea service was also nice. The happy hour offering was very good - our only disappointment there is that it is from 6-8 which is bit late for starting vacation happy hour! A 5:00 start would fit better (for us) and helps with getting to dinner spots on time. The $50 voucher we were given for each day we used at the rooftop bar which has great views of Charleston. Especially enjoyed our waiter there, Corey, who indeed served us well and entertained us more (which made up for the very unfriendly bartender at the lobby bar on Thursday night!). The rooms at MPH are lovely with great beds and plush towels and linens. The room was very clean. THE WIFI DOES NOT WORK! That was irritating as we use our iPads to check TripAdvisor for reviews of restaurants and things to do. We would get the signal then it would drop - over and over. We inquired and were told that they have a problem with iPads and the Wifi. We would like to see this problem fixed! I have read other reviews where guest complained about not being able to get an early check-in. We arrived around noon, well aware of the 3:00 check-in. We checked our bags and took off to the streets of Charleston, ending up at the rooftop bar where we finished waiting until 3:00 on the dot to get into the room. In my experience, hotels are usually able to accommodate early check-ins, but it was not a big issue for us - everything else was great. This hotel is in a wonderful location and the staff is accommodating and friendly (except that one guy....).

Room Tip: We asked for a room away from the elevators. We had a great harbor view. We did not experience any n...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Opelika, Ala.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

Stayed three nights at the Market P and had a very good experience. The room was as advertised, well appointed, clean, large, modern bath, robes, generous supply of towels. The morning Pastries and Coffee were very good and we took advantage of this each day. Service employees were attentive and friendly. Location was right in the middle of Market Street - Bay Street scene and an easy walk to King Street. In fact, we never used our car except to drive out to Middleton Place.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for being our guest at the Market Pavilion Hotel and giving us the opportunity to provide you with very good experience and an enjoyable stay. We are pleased you enjoyed your room and the pastries and coffee each day of your stay. I will share you kind comments with the staff and look forward to seeing you again very soon. Thank you once again for sharing your experience with us.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel in the spring and it was phenomenal. The concierge level is definitely worth the extra money. The food is delicious and the happy hour was great. The people at the hotel were amazing. Amanda Ann worked the concierge floor one happy hour and she was delightful. She told us all about Charleston and the hotel itself. The rooms are beautiful and the beds are very comfortable. The pool on the top floor is amazing and I wish it was warm enough when I visited to jump in. Great location great everything! Definitely go for the concierge floor, it is 100% worth the extra money. I loved my stay!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review. We very much appreciate you being our guest at the Market Pavilion Hotel in the spring. We are always honored when guests have experiences that are “amazing” or phenomenal. I am also glad you had the opportunity to experience the concierge level and the many amenities which we offer. Please do try to join us another time so can also experience the Pavilion pool when you are at the Pavilion Bar. We look forward to having you again as our guest and thank you once again.
Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

My husband and I were spoiled during our trip to Charleston, SC recently, and we can't say enough wonderful things about the Market Pavilion Hotel. Our room was lavish but tasteful, with comfortable bedding and a beautiful bathroom-truly a treat. You can't beat the location just steps from the center of Charleston.

The staff was truly accommodating. The concierge arranged several special experiences for us. The bartender, Greg, served us the Hotel's signature Nitrotinis, which were delicious, and was pleasant to chat with. I'll be sure to submit a review of Grill 225, the Hotel's award winning steakhouse on the restaurant page here on Trip Advisor, but I have to say that it was an experience to itself, with (again) impeccable service and attention to detail. The extra services on the Concierge level were a treat as well, from delicious hot breakfast, to tea in the afternoon, and wine and cheese in the evening.

Too often when I've stayed at nicer hotels, or eaten at highly rated restaurants, the service feels fake and pretentious. But this was far from the case at Market Pavilion.

We did go up to the Rooftop Bar for a sunset champagne toast and the view was breathtaking. We didn't take advantage of the pool but it was beautiful.

You certainly get what you pay for and then some. We can't wait to return! Many thanks to the General Manager, Peter, who made our stay so very memorable!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel have a beautiful view of the Customs House. We had a great view of t...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for being our guest at the Market Pavilion Hotel. We are so pleased that we could make your stay enjoyable. I am glad that you enjoyed our location and the many y amenities like our complimentary continental breakfast which you enjoyed your great pastries and fresh fruit, coffee, tea and juices. I will share you experience with the entire team and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We hope see you again on your next visit to Charleston.
Mesa (Mesa County), Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

Our first night, with a thermostat stuck at 65 degrees (which staff refused to address), gave us a cold, uncomfortable, sleep-deprived night. In the morning we reported it again. Staff said it would be repaired immediately. Returned at 4 pm. Staff said it had been fixed, but thermostat still stuck at 65. Nothing had been done. Wasted time repacking, waiting for a room, and moving.

Finally moved to a less desirable, toasty 75 degree room. Lowered the thermostat to 69, but the heat wouldn't shut off! Second malfunctioning thermostat! Requested the manager. Staff said she'd get him. We waited...and waited. No manager. Found out later he wasn't even on site! Wasted another 1 1/2 hours waiting with packed luggage in case of another move.

Back to the desk. In lieu of the manager, staff found maintenance engineer Bill, who patiently listened, said the right things, and assured us the thermostat would be fixed or we would be moved prior to our return from dinner. (We were tired from our lack of sleep, had moved our dinner reservation up, and were now rushed to get to dinner-- not the relaxing evening we had anticipated.)

Bill was a gem. Fixed the thermostat, met us upon our return and assured us that he had checked several times, and the thermostat was now working. He was the only staff member who had really listened, seemed sincerely concerned, and fixed the problem! Perhaps he needs to be in charge of customer service! He saved the hotel from both a "poor" service and overall T.A. rating.

Other issues:
WiFi weak, sporadic. Keys to our second room didn't work the elevator. Back to the desk, and "oh, yes" they'd been having problems with that. More time wasted. Non-working phone in our first room. Wardrobes have sensor lights. Wedged wads of paper in the loose doors to get the lights to remain off.

Watch your rooftop bar bill. Requested half-gin, half-vodka in a martini, and was charged $33 (!) compared to a pomegranate martini at "only" $16. Our bill was quickly adjusted when we questioned the $33 cocktail.

Given access to the concierge lounge breakfast but no place to sit. Tried twice, and ended up enjoying the lovely complimentary pastries available on each floor in our room. But no English Breakfast or plain black tea, and water not hot enough to steep the tea anyway. Bed linens okay, but not the quality expected for Leading Hotels. (Had the exact same linens in a 3* hotel earlier that week.) No promised cell phone call to advise if our room was available for early check-in.

At checkout, after responding to "How was your stay?," Viva, Reception Mgr., listened to our issues, and finally produced manager Peter Wright. He adjusted our final bill, but didn't seem overly concerned about our many issues--perhaps an off day. Compensation is nice, but doesn't replace a night's sleep, energy and precious time lost and tainted by hotel hassles and staff indifference.

PROS: The facility itself is attractive, quiet and clean with the exception of some shower grout issues and accumulated dirt in corners. Used hotel slippers were left in our first room--gross. Location is very good.

Room Tip: Check your thermostat immediately upon arrival.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
First, thank you for taking my phone call and for allowing me to express my sincere apology to you and the experience you had while at the hotel once again. I cannot express enough that the issues you experienced are isolated and will I do everything I can within my realm to assure you and all our guest it will not occur in the future. I have addressed the team and we are conducting additional reviews and training to assist them and myself. I will share your kind comments with Bill which I am sure he will appreciate. I must address your bedding as our mattresses are high end deep pocket mattresses - we have both pillow-topped and non pillow-topped to allow for guests wishing for a firm mattress to enjoy their rest as well. Guests feedback was used to create this mix and it was installed last year. We are grateful for all of the rave reviews so far which being an active tripadvisor review you have read. ALL beds in the hotel (including pillow-topped mattresses) have featherbedding and down comforters specifically chosen for this climate. Our linens are some of the finest you will find in any luxury hotel with the highest thread counts. Since your accommodation type allowed for access to our concierge lounge, I apologize that you could not find seating the times which you wanted. Our lounge is situated like a living room parlor so all our guests may interact and feel very much like they are home with the friends. We also hope that your $50 per day food and beverage voucher was able to offset your cocktail choices at the Pavilion Bar. Keep in mind that we do offer less expensive drink options than you had chosen. I do thank you once again and would hope in the future you would provide us the opportunity to provide you with a better guest experience. As you have all my contact information please do not hesitate to contact me in the future.