“excellent rooms and people”

Market Pavilion Hotel
Ranked #8 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed June 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed on the 4th floor and had a great time. Melissa Lockwood and Amanda Ann were the Parlor Conciege. These 2 women made us feel like part of their family. The service was second to none. Excellent hotel would recommend to anyone. Great experience!
Larry & Michelle Moore
Montana

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

Thank you for being our guest and I am pleased at you felt like you were part of the family at the Market Pavilion Hotel (you are). I appreciate your kind comments and I will pass them to Melissa and Amanda Ann. We welcome your recommendation and thank you for that. Looking forward to your return.

Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

View behind the tapestry curtain is rooftop parking lot. Literally we look into a car window. Beautiful lobby, handsome bathroom and nice rooftop pool, but tiny room and worst view I've ever had in any hotel anywhere. For the price and accolades, I expect much more. We stayed at Restoration on King for two nights, but they were booked so we had to move hotels. Restoration on King was so much better - tons of room, beautifully appointed and gracious low-key service. I do not recommend Market Pavillion.

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank rhawnjen
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

First, thank you for being our guest at the Market Pavilion Hotel. We very much appreciate your being our guest and sharing your comments with us. I am glad that you liked our lobby, bathrooms and the Pavilion Bar. As being a city hotel, we do have some rooms with have an inside views. We cannot guarantee the views, but would have been happy to take a request from you and have done our very best to accommodate you based upon the availably and occupancy of the hotel. We would hope to welcome you again to the hotel to experience other accommodation options.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Wonderful location for strolling around town. Feels and looks historic but without the stuffy, tired, old-fashioned vibe. We arrived late and ordered room service, and the food was fantastic. The rooftop bar is hip and trendy, the lobby/restaurant bar is more traditional but serves fun Nitrotinis. Clean room, very comfortable bed and good restaurant recommendations from the concierge.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cruzantime
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Thank you for staying with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and had the opportunity to enjoy the Pavilion Bar and our Nitrotinis from the Grill 225 Bar. I will share your kind comments to our concierge. We look forward to your return and thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

My husband and I needed to get away, just the two of us, badly. He had eaten lunch in the restaurant downstairs (Grill 225) about ten years ago and had always wanted to come back. When we were looking for a place to go, he suggested it and I'm ridiculously glad he did.

We spent three nights on the concierge level (the top/fourth floor). The bedroom was huge and very well appointed (down mattress topper, comfy robes and slippers, marble everything in the bathroom, Hermes toiletries, crystal ice bucket, fresh flowers, etc.). Breakfast in the parlor got a little tiresome after a few days due to the consistency of the specific offerings, but everything was good: there was a variety of offerings such that something should appeal to most, the coffee was delicious, being surprised by good grits I did not make myself will never get old, and Melissa Lockwood, the concierge, was truly wonderful. She took great care of us, able to provide exact information about how to go where, when, as well as tasting notes for the evening wine and bits of news from the day.

My husband was a bit disappointed by the lack of alcohol offerings during high tea (thanks to experience with the Ritz Carlton club levels), but that was the only thing either of us found lacking from this establishment in comparison to the Ritz (in fact, I think the turn down service at the Market Pavilion is better), which is saying something for an independently run place. It also manages to feel historic without being the slightest bit musty. Management and their (unfaltering polite and helpful) staff have clearly hit the sweet spot in providing a fantastic experience away from home. The food, particularly the steak and the tuna tartar, from Grill 225 was outstanding, the nitrogen martinis refreshing in the summer heat, and the proximity to a slew of other wonderful restaurants and tourist attractions was fantastic. The roof top plunge pool was still elegant (which is something that is difficult to pull off for many people for some reason) and the rooftop bar a pleasant place to float above the crowd. My only two complaints are that the shower temperature in our room was a little hard to control initially and the wireless access in our room was abysmal. Yes, there was great access in the lounge and the bar downstairs, but that met including our floormates in nightly skypes with our daughter, which we would have preferred to avoid.

All in all, if we return to Charleston, we will definitely return to the Market Pavilion. Fantastic trip and exactly what we needed.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

First and foremost, thank you for being our guest at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I very much appreciate you taking the time to share your comprehensive comments with us. I am glad you were able to enjoy all the many benefits from being on the concierge level and the fine service of our concierge attendant Melissa. I am also glad you were able to enjoy your dining experience at Grill 225 with our 100% USDA Prime Steak and the great option of Tuna Tartar. I apologize for any inconvenience regarding your wireless as this issue has been addressed and corrected. We look forward to having you return and again very soon and would like to welcome back to your home away from home in Charleston.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

The guest rooms are first rate (although my room did have some sort of leak in the bathroom that the maintenance staff never resolved). Bathrooms are big; nice separate shower and bath. The bed was very comfortable. Plenty of towel, and they are replenished with the very good turndown service. Complimentary Fiji water is a nice touch. Liked the coffee and pastries on each floor, but if you are going to offer tea, you really need to include English breakfast tea as part of the selection.

The concierge was just terrific. I love the fact that she is seated right outside the elevators. She remembered us, was always willing to help, and appeared to be happy to be there serving guests.

The arrival experience is nice. Beautiful lobby, except for the bar (see below).

The lobby bar is strange and not at all welcoming. There needs to be some better, cozy seating (see, for example, the lobby bar at the Charleston Place Hotel). And please, please ditch the touristy "Nitrotini" concept (a $17 smoking martini containing liquid nitrogen for the uninitiated). That kind of gimmick is beneath this category of hotel. Very much a turn-off, and I was offended by the $17 price. My wife was embarrassed when the smoking cauldron arrived. Just stick to upscale cocktails (minus the inane warning label).

The rooftop bar is nice, but the music is way too loud (even in the afternoon) and the music is cheesy/disco. Be warned that it gets wild on weekend nights; I'm in my early 40s and was one of the oldest people there. Service is lousy--servers clearly don't like the voucher program (see below) either.

Finally, the voucher system is a joke. Just make the food and beverage prices reasonable and stop giving out idiotic vouchers that include a page and a half of terms and conditions that no one wants to read on vacation. Again, a hotel charging $350/nt shouldn't be catering to the lowest common denominator of tourist.

You're an upscale property; now act like one.

2  Thank TraveltogetherDallas

Thank you for being our guest at the Market Pavilion and sharing your comments with us. I first would like to say that it is great that you enjoyed your accommodations, the complimentary continental breakfast which includes homemade pastries, fruit, coffee and tea. If you required anything special, we would have been more than happy to accommodate you if you requested it. I will share your kind comments with our Concierge as she will be pleased that you enjoyed the service that she provided. I am also glad your arrival experience was good.. As you know we are a boutique hotel and with that we are very much have a European flare with our Marquee restaurant Grill 225 in front of the entrance of the hotel. I am sorry that you did not enjoy the Nitrotini as you know many and all Luxury Hotels do have a signature cocktail and we receive many great comments for our guest. If you preferred, we would not have added any nitrogen to your cocktail if requested. We also have many of cocktail options to meet your budget needs if this was not at your price point. As for the Pavilion Bar, I apologize if the music was too loud for you as we do try to keep it a level that you may have a conversation and I am not sure what time you were up with us, but we do not play any disco. I can assure you that I want only the highest level of service so this will be addressed with the team. As for your food and beverage voucher, you did not need to use it if you wished. It was an extra benefit for staying with us and is easy to use. As you noted regarding pricing, these would have helped you with your options as you were so concerned. I am not sure to whom you are referring to as the lowest common denominator of tourist but all our guests and the most discerning tourist enjoy this free benefit also. Thank you once again and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

We enjoyed having $50/room to spend on cocktails every day and it is great to have fresh coffee available on the floor. The hotel is in a central location with lots of shopping and restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank WildthymeAZ
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Thank you for being our guest at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am so glad you enjoyed our central location and the extra benefit of our $50.00 food and beverage vouchers. We hope to have see you again soon and thank you for sharing your kind comments with us.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

We were pampered from the moment we stepped from our car until our luggage was picked up from our room, placed in our car that had been cooled down for us and sent away with warm wishes for our return, Employees greeted us by name, were warm and hospitable making it everything one could want in a great southern hotel.

Our room was elegant with high ceilings and beautiful moldings and art work. Of course robes, slippers and luxurious towels were provided.

The breakfast was provided on each floor level and served on their elegant hallway servers. Breakfast included coffee, juice, fruit and delicious pastries.

The only reason we did not give this hotel 5 stars is because the roof top bartender was not very personable, rather surly and I would guess not from the south by his attitude.

1  Thank samfox

Thank you for sharing your kind comments with us. I am glad that you were able to feel and receive our “Southern Hospitality”. Providing you and all our guests with the best possible service is our mission. It’s also great you were able to enjoy our complementary continental sideboard breakfast each morning. I also appreciate your comments regarding the bartender at the Pavilion Bar. We have addressed this issue and can assure you when you return you will feel the hospitality and it will be personable. Thank you once again, we look forward to having you as our guest again very soon.