“First Rate Experience”

Ranked #9 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Hartsdale, New York
“First Rate Experience”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My husband and I needed to get away, just the two of us, badly. He had eaten lunch in the restaurant downstairs (Grill 225) about ten years ago and had always wanted to come back. When we were looking for a place to go, he suggested it and I'm ridiculously glad he did.

We spent three nights on the concierge level (the top/fourth floor). The bedroom was huge and very well appointed (down mattress topper, comfy robes and slippers, marble everything in the bathroom, Hermes toiletries, crystal ice bucket, fresh flowers, etc.). Breakfast in the parlor got a little tiresome after a few days due to the consistency of the specific offerings, but everything was good: there was a variety of offerings such that something should appeal to most, the coffee was delicious, being surprised by good grits I did not make myself will never get old, and Melissa Lockwood, the concierge, was truly wonderful. She took great care of us, able to provide exact information about how to go where, when, as well as tasting notes for the evening wine and bits of news from the day.

My husband was a bit disappointed by the lack of alcohol offerings during high tea (thanks to experience with the Ritz Carlton club levels), but that was the only thing either of us found lacking from this establishment in comparison to the Ritz (in fact, I think the turn down service at the Market Pavilion is better), which is saying something for an independently run place. It also manages to feel historic without being the slightest bit musty. Management and their (unfaltering polite and helpful) staff have clearly hit the sweet spot in providing a fantastic experience away from home. The food, particularly the steak and the tuna tartar, from Grill 225 was outstanding, the nitrogen martinis refreshing in the summer heat, and the proximity to a slew of other wonderful restaurants and tourist attractions was fantastic. The roof top plunge pool was still elegant (which is something that is difficult to pull off for many people for some reason) and the rooftop bar a pleasant place to float above the crowd. My only two complaints are that the shower temperature in our room was a little hard to control initially and the wireless access in our room was abysmal. Yes, there was great access in the lounge and the bar downstairs, but that met including our floormates in nightly skypes with our daughter, which we would have preferred to avoid.

All in all, if we return to Charleston, we will definitely return to the Market Pavilion. Fantastic trip and exactly what we needed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
First and foremost, thank you for being our guest at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I very much appreciate you taking the time to share your comprehensive comments with us. I am glad you were able to enjoy all the many benefits from being on the concierge level and the fine service of our concierge attendant Melissa. I am also glad you were able to enjoy your dining experience at Grill 225 with our 100% USDA Prime Steak and the great option of Tuna Tartar. I apologize for any inconvenience regarding your wireless as this issue has been addressed and corrected. We look forward to having you return and again very soon and would like to welcome back to your home away from home in Charleston.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
Dallas
Reviewed June 19, 2013

The guest rooms are first rate (although my room did have some sort of leak in the bathroom that the maintenance staff never resolved). Bathrooms are big; nice separate shower and bath. The bed was very comfortable. Plenty of towel, and they are replenished with the very good turndown service. Complimentary Fiji water is a nice touch. Liked the coffee and pastries on each floor, but if you are going to offer tea, you really need to include English breakfast tea as part of the selection.

The concierge was just terrific. I love the fact that she is seated right outside the elevators. She remembered us, was always willing to help, and appeared to be happy to be there serving guests.

The arrival experience is nice. Beautiful lobby, except for the bar (see below).

The lobby bar is strange and not at all welcoming. There needs to be some better, cozy seating (see, for example, the lobby bar at the Charleston Place Hotel). And please, please ditch the touristy "Nitrotini" concept (a $17 smoking martini containing liquid nitrogen for the uninitiated). That kind of gimmick is beneath this category of hotel. Very much a turn-off, and I was offended by the $17 price. My wife was embarrassed when the smoking cauldron arrived. Just stick to upscale cocktails (minus the inane warning label).

The rooftop bar is nice, but the music is way too loud (even in the afternoon) and the music is cheesy/disco. Be warned that it gets wild on weekend nights; I'm in my early 40s and was one of the oldest people there. Service is lousy--servers clearly don't like the voucher program (see below) either.

Finally, the voucher system is a joke. Just make the food and beverage prices reasonable and stop giving out idiotic vouchers that include a page and a half of terms and conditions that no one wants to read on vacation. Again, a hotel charging $350/nt shouldn't be catering to the lowest common denominator of tourist.

You're an upscale property; now act like one.

2 Thank TraveltogetherDallas
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Thank you for being our guest at the Market Pavilion and sharing your comments with us. I first would like to say that it is great that you enjoyed your accommodations, the complimentary continental breakfast which includes homemade pastries, fruit, coffee and tea. If you required anything special, we would have been more than happy to accommodate you if you requested it. I will share your kind comments with our Concierge as she will be pleased that you enjoyed the service that she provided. I am also glad your arrival experience was good.. As you know we are a boutique hotel and with that we are very much have a European flare with our Marquee restaurant Grill 225 in front of the entrance of the hotel. I am sorry that you did not enjoy the Nitrotini as you know many and all Luxury Hotels do have a signature cocktail and we receive many great comments for our guest. If you preferred, we would not have added any nitrogen to your cocktail if requested. We also have many of cocktail options to meet your budget needs if this was not at your price point. As for the Pavilion Bar, I apologize if the music was too loud for you as we do try to keep it a level that you may have a conversation and I am not sure what time you were up with us, but we do not play any disco. I can assure you that I want only the highest level of service so this will be addressed with the team. As for your food and beverage voucher, you did not need to use it if you wished. It was an extra benefit for staying with us and is easy to use. As you noted regarding pricing, these would have helped you with your options as you were so concerned. I am not sure to whom you are referring to as the lowest common denominator of tourist but all our guests and the most discerning tourist enjoy this free benefit also. Thank you once again and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We enjoyed having $50/room to spend on cocktails every day and it is great to have fresh coffee available on the floor. The hotel is in a central location with lots of shopping and restaurants nearby.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank WildthymeAZ
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for being our guest at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am so glad you enjoyed our central location and the extra benefit of our $50.00 food and beverage vouchers. We hope to have see you again soon and thank you for sharing your kind comments with us.
OHIO
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We were pampered from the moment we stepped from our car until our luggage was picked up from our room, placed in our car that had been cooled down for us and sent away with warm wishes for our return, Employees greeted us by name, were warm and hospitable making it everything one could want in a great southern hotel.

Our room was elegant with high ceilings and beautiful moldings and art work. Of course robes, slippers and luxurious towels were provided.

The breakfast was provided on each floor level and served on their elegant hallway servers. Breakfast included coffee, juice, fruit and delicious pastries.

The only reason we did not give this hotel 5 stars is because the roof top bartender was not very personable, rather surly and I would guess not from the south by his attitude.

1 Thank samfox
Thank you for sharing your kind comments with us. I am glad that you were able to feel and receive our “Southern Hospitality”. Providing you and all our guests with the best possible service is our mission. It’s also great you were able to enjoy our complementary continental sideboard breakfast each morning. I also appreciate your comments regarding the bartender at the Pavilion Bar. We have addressed this issue and can assure you when you return you will feel the hospitality and it will be personable. Thank you once again, we look forward to having you as our guest again very soon.
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stumbled onto Market Pavilion several years ago and absolutely love it! We stayed on the Concierge level and met Suzanne and have been frequent guests because of her. She is attentive, caring, professional, knowledgeable and has a fantastic memory regarding her guests!
I even celebrated my 50th birthday here and hired Suzanne to be our bartender in the Presidential Suite. She was amazing as always and made it a night I will truly always cherish!
We will ALWAYS return as long as she is here!
Kay & Ron Reid
Goose Creek, SC

• Stayed December 2012
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for being our guest at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am so pleased that you have been returning and enjoying your stay. Of course you have had the great pleasure to stay in our Presidential Suite with its many fine amenities. Thank you for sharing your kind comments with us and I will also share them with Suzanne. We look forward to your return and thank you once again.
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This is my first review, but I had to write it because I just realized how amazing our trip was to Charleston. I just returned from two corporate trips. One in Nashville and one in Houston. We stayed in Charleston in April, peak season, and this was the best hotels I have ever stayed in. Originally I had booked a site visit for my boss in January through Jen in the Sales Office. Jen nformed us that because the Market Pavilion was an independently owned the hotel they could not offer a complimentary stay (annoying). I was actually fine with that because my boss was paying for the trip and I would be reimbursed, but every other hotel was fine with this. In reality Jennifer offered me a complimentary stay if my business booked there, which in fact we did, but still I would have appreciated a free night.

Upon arriving to the hotel we were met by James, a fellow Ohioan, who warmly welcome us and escorted us to the front desk. We were directed through the entrance of Grill 222, which was busy at the time with lunch reservations, but James managed to keep his focus on my husband and I and ask how our trip into Charleston was.

When we arrived at the front desk we were greeted by a group of young ladies who were exceptionally pleasant (wish i could remeber their names). We were assigned to an upgraded room compliments of the event manager Hollie and James brought our luggage to the room for us.

We had such great service upon arrival that I knew my boss would love the hotel. Jennifer set us up with dinner in the grill and the service was outstanding. When I arrived at the hotel I asked the concierge where my group should golf and she recommend Patriots Marina. I'm sure patriots marina is a great place to play, but our server John told us the insider tip and gave us two names of people to call for "special reservations" at other courses. Defintely worth it! . John was exceptional during our dinner experience and gave some of the best food we have ever eaten!

Our January visit was so great that I convinced my team to stay at the Market Pavilion in
April. Everyone had an AMAZING time! When we arrived at the hotel James was still there to greet us! He couldn't remember our name but the first thing he said was, i know you, you're from ohio!. My husband loved it! When we told him our name he immediatly welcomed us back to the hotel and informed us that as a return guest we had been upgraded to the concierge level.

Hollie in catering met us at the front desk when we arrived and showed us the meeting room and where we would be hosting our rooftop welcome reception. Everything was perfect! I had to be in the meeting room really early in the morning to setup for the day and hollie was there to greet me with coffee at 6am. We hosted a lunch at the rooftop restaurant and the buffet food was phenomenal. We ha an awesome local fish, southern pork, and amazing veggie lasagna. Awesome!!

I was so impressed by Jennifer and Hollie. Not only were they there when I showed up early in the morning but they were there until we got our dessert in Grill 222 late at night. If you are going to book at the Marekt Pavilion you MUST have dinner at Grill 222! Hollie booked us a reservation for 50 people (though we were only able to eat there sunday-wednesday), but the food was outstanding. Most of our group had the filet mignon, and i've never seen so many happy faces. The staff in the grill were so accomodating. We pre-picked wines through the Grill 222 manager and they were excellent! I definitely recommend this restaurant for a formal dining experience!

Over the Market Pavilion Hotel was top of the line for our corporate meeting. I'm only sorry that it took me until the following years meeting to really notice how great the experience was. Five stars all the way! And we will definitely be back to visit soon!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
First, we are so honored that you had your meeting with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am so glad that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations from our hotel to Grill 225 to the Pavilion Bar. I will share your kind comments with Holly our Luxury Sales Manager and the entire team. We hope to have you join us again whether it is for business or pleasure very soon. Thank you once again.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This hotel provides everything a first class travel experience should have. An excellent location, friendly & efficient staff, & a wonderful ambience all contributed to a rewarding experience. The roof top patio bar/ swimming pool added to the experience as did the terrific food. Overall, a thoroughly enjoyable 4 night stay.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dstrash
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments and staying with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am very pleased you enjoyed your experience, the Pavilion Bar and our pool. Having the best location in the city helps, I will also share our comments with the entire staff. Thank you once again and we look forward to your return.