“Pampered”

Market Pavilion Hotel
Ranked #8 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We were pampered from the moment we stepped from our car until our luggage was picked up from our room, placed in our car that had been cooled down for us and sent away with warm wishes for our return, Employees greeted us by name, were warm and hospitable making it everything one could want in a great southern hotel.

Our room was elegant with high ceilings and beautiful moldings and art work. Of course robes, slippers and luxurious towels were provided.

The breakfast was provided on each floor level and served on their elegant hallway servers. Breakfast included coffee, juice, fruit and delicious pastries.

The only reason we did not give this hotel 5 stars is because the roof top bartender was not very personable, rather surly and I would guess not from the south by his attitude.

1  Thank samfox
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Thank you for sharing your kind comments with us. I am glad that you were able to feel and receive our “Southern Hospitality”. Providing you and all our guests with the best possible service is our mission. It’s also great you were able to enjoy our complementary continental sideboard breakfast each morning. I also appreciate your comments regarding the bartender at the Pavilion Bar. We have addressed this issue and can assure you when you return you will feel the hospitality and it will be personable. Thank you once again, we look forward to having you as our guest again very soon.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stumbled onto Market Pavilion several years ago and absolutely love it! We stayed on the Concierge level and met Suzanne and have been frequent guests because of her. She is attentive, caring, professional, knowledgeable and has a fantastic memory regarding her guests!
I even celebrated my 50th birthday here and hired Suzanne to be our bartender in the Presidential Suite. She was amazing as always and made it a night I will truly always cherish!
We will ALWAYS return as long as she is here!
Kay & Ron Reid
Goose Creek, SC

• Stayed: December 2012
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Thank you for being our guest at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am so pleased that you have been returning and enjoying your stay. Of course you have had the great pleasure to stay in our Presidential Suite with its many fine amenities. Thank you for sharing your kind comments with us and I will also share them with Suzanne. We look forward to your return and thank you once again.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

This is my first review, but I had to write it because I just realized how amazing our trip was to Charleston. I just returned from two corporate trips. One in Nashville and one in Houston. We stayed in Charleston in April, peak season, and this was the best hotels I have ever stayed in. Originally I had booked a site visit for my boss in January through Jen in the Sales Office. Jen nformed us that because the Market Pavilion was an independently owned the hotel they could not offer a complimentary stay (annoying). I was actually fine with that because my boss was paying for the trip and I would be reimbursed, but every other hotel was fine with this. In reality Jennifer offered me a complimentary stay if my business booked there, which in fact we did, but still I would have appreciated a free night.

Upon arriving to the hotel we were met by James, a fellow Ohioan, who warmly welcome us and escorted us to the front desk. We were directed through the entrance of Grill 222, which was busy at the time with lunch reservations, but James managed to keep his focus on my husband and I and ask how our trip into Charleston was.

When we arrived at the front desk we were greeted by a group of young ladies who were exceptionally pleasant (wish i could remeber their names). We were assigned to an upgraded room compliments of the event manager Hollie and James brought our luggage to the room for us.

We had such great service upon arrival that I knew my boss would love the hotel. Jennifer set us up with dinner in the grill and the service was outstanding. When I arrived at the hotel I asked the concierge where my group should golf and she recommend Patriots Marina. I'm sure patriots marina is a great place to play, but our server John told us the insider tip and gave us two names of people to call for "special reservations" at other courses. Defintely worth it! . John was exceptional during our dinner experience and gave some of the best food we have ever eaten!

Our January visit was so great that I convinced my team to stay at the Market Pavilion in
April. Everyone had an AMAZING time! When we arrived at the hotel James was still there to greet us! He couldn't remember our name but the first thing he said was, i know you, you're from ohio!. My husband loved it! When we told him our name he immediatly welcomed us back to the hotel and informed us that as a return guest we had been upgraded to the concierge level.

Hollie in catering met us at the front desk when we arrived and showed us the meeting room and where we would be hosting our rooftop welcome reception. Everything was perfect! I had to be in the meeting room really early in the morning to setup for the day and hollie was there to greet me with coffee at 6am. We hosted a lunch at the rooftop restaurant and the buffet food was phenomenal. We ha an awesome local fish, southern pork, and amazing veggie lasagna. Awesome!!

I was so impressed by Jennifer and Hollie. Not only were they there when I showed up early in the morning but they were there until we got our dessert in Grill 222 late at night. If you are going to book at the Marekt Pavilion you MUST have dinner at Grill 222! Hollie booked us a reservation for 50 people (though we were only able to eat there sunday-wednesday), but the food was outstanding. Most of our group had the filet mignon, and i've never seen so many happy faces. The staff in the grill were so accomodating. We pre-picked wines through the Grill 222 manager and they were excellent! I definitely recommend this restaurant for a formal dining experience!

Over the Market Pavilion Hotel was top of the line for our corporate meeting. I'm only sorry that it took me until the following years meeting to really notice how great the experience was. Five stars all the way! And we will definitely be back to visit soon!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

First, we are so honored that you had your meeting with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am so glad that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations from our hotel to Grill 225 to the Pavilion Bar. I will share your kind comments with Holly our Luxury Sales Manager and the entire team. We hope to have you join us again whether it is for business or pleasure very soon. Thank you once again.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

This hotel provides everything a first class travel experience should have. An excellent location, friendly & efficient staff, & a wonderful ambience all contributed to a rewarding experience. The roof top patio bar/ swimming pool added to the experience as did the terrific food. Overall, a thoroughly enjoyable 4 night stay.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dstrash
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments and staying with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am very pleased you enjoyed your experience, the Pavilion Bar and our pool. Having the best location in the city helps, I will also share our comments with the entire staff. Thank you once again and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed there this past weekend with 3 other couples and everythng was fabulous. This is a relatively small boutique hotel in a terrific location - walking distance to many of Charleston's attractions and finest restaurants. Staff was very friendly and provided great service. The rooms were very well done, nicely decorated and good sized. The best feature is the rooftop pool and bar. We spent 2 afternoons there and loved it. Great view and great atmosphere. This is now our favorite hotel in Charleston!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 3rd floor which was very nice. The continental breakfast included wonderful pastri...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Thank you so very much for being our guest with your other friends. We are so pleased you enjoyed the size of our hotel, the location, accommodations and the friendliness of our staff. I am also please you were able to enjoy the Pavilion Bar and pool. Thank you once again and we look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

There were some wonderful things about our stay and some not so wonderful things. What was great was all the folks who worked the front door - cheerful and welcoming and quick to get your car, rain or shine and we had both. We thought we'd like the $50 credit each day to use at the bar or dining room but as a tourist, we were out most of the day and enjoyed trying out new restaurants each night. We then went to use one of our vouchers at 10pm for dessert and were told that everything was closed - the kitchen in the main dining room (even though there were people still eating in there) and upstairs at the more casual bar. That was frustrating. But the most frustrating was Suzanne at the Concierge's desk. She was not engaging and I would describe her as a bit on the rude side. When I asked her for the number for a taxi, she gave me the number for a car service. I said, "that's nice, but I want to be able to call a taxi later when I'm leaving a restaurant." She refused to give me the name or number of a taxi and said, "I don't have that available." WHAT??? You are sitting there with a computer and a phone book and it should take you no more than 30 seconds to get me that information. Unfortunately she was at the concierge's desk throughout our entire 3 day stay and the only time we had someone different there was when one of the front desk women covered for her on break. Just to make a point, I asked her for the number for a taxi and she immediately retrieved that information for me. The difference in demeanor and helpfulness was night and day. The room was considered a view room, but the only view is of the Market across the street. I checked back at the front desk because I know I had ordered a more expensive 'view' room and couldn't believe I had nothing to look out on except the roof of the market. The front desk said this was their view room. Because the room was across the street from the market, it was not a quiet room due to a fair amount of traffic and unloading for the daily market opening. The room was nothing special, it was nice, but not spacious. There was a nightstand on only one side of the bed, so a person on the other side of the bed had nowhere to set a book, a glass of water, etc. I really felt for the price, I could have done better.

Room Tip: I would just choose another hotel if you want something more special, more spacious, more unique.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank dm49

First, thank you for sharing your comments with us and being our guest at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am pleased to know that you did enjoy some parts of your stay and our doorman and bell staff greeting each and every time. I must say that I was disappointed to hear about your issues with our concierge as this issue was addressed and will not occur again. I value the service levels provided to all our guests. They room type you did receive is one that many guests request while they are in Charleston as they do want to look out at Market Street. I apologize for any inconvenience that was caused and would hope to welcome you back again in the future. If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

As a LHW member I would like to report that our stay was amazing. The minute we arrived staff was out in the rain to greet us and take our luggage. The hotel is just beautiful with a European feel. Staff can't do enough for you from the hotel manager Peter to Amanda Ann in the concierge level serving drinks and making you feel welcome. The roof top bar had great food and drinks. Everyone seems to be so happy to take care of your every need. We can't wait to go back to this wonderful hotel and beautiful city.

Room Tip: Corner room
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2013

Thank you for being our guest at the Market Pavilion Hotel. Being a Leaders Club Member, we value you staying with us and happy you could take advantage of all the many benefits the membership provides. I will share your kind comments with Amanda Ann and the entire team. I am glad you were also able to enjoy your time at the Pavilion Bar. Thank you once again for sharing with us and I hope to welcome you back again very soon. Peter Wright – General Manager.