“Market Pavillion Hotel is the Best!”

Market Pavilion Hotel
Ranked #7 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed April 5, 2012

My girlfriends and I spent 5 nights at the Market Pavillion Hotel in Charleston, SC the last weekend in February. I had never been to Charleston, and it was up to me to book the hotel. I got great service from Kelly when I called to inquire about the hotel, rates, and amenities, and I booked it. Still, you are never really sure when you are booking relatively 'blind.' Well, my apprehension disappeared quickly after our arrival. The service was excellent for throughout almost every aspect of the hotel, from the valet and bell captain, desk clerks, concierge, and housekeeping. The room was lovely and quite comfortable for the three of us. The location was great, too, near good restaurants and the important sites. We had a perfectly lovely and fun time, thanks in great part to this wonderful hotel and its professional, friendly, and accommodating staff.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
MarketPavilionGM, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind words. I know Kelly will be pleased to know she was recognized for her efforts. I am glad you found the service provided by our team to be excellent and the rooms clean and lovely. We appreciate you chosing the Market Pavilion Hotel and hope we may have the chance to serve you again.
Thank you.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,489)

Reviewed April 3, 2012

From the General Manager "Gary Cohen" to the reservation manager "Kelly" I was amazed at the caliber of service. This hotel can't do enough to make sure you are well taken care of. The service is by far the best of any hotel in Charleston. Although the room was an average size, it was very nicely furnished with high quality pieces. The concierge floor is one of the best. Its small; but, again the level of service and quality is outstanding. We've been staying at other Charleston hotels in the past (4 others that are considered "upscale"... and, that will now change. Market Pavilion became the #1 hotel for us. Exemplary hotel - the others just don't compare.

Room Tip: A balcony view room is nice; but, not all that necessary. Access to the Concierge Floor is a must...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
MarketPavilionGM, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2012

Thank you so very much for your kind assessment. I know Kelly will be pleased to know her efforts have been recognized. We are flattered to know you now consider us your number 1 hotel in Charleston. We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to the chance to serve you again.

Reviewed March 31, 2012

My girlfriend and I recently stayed for a mini getaway and had a great time at MP. After checking in, we went up to our room and were immediately greeted by the afternoon tea service as we got off the elevator. It was a large spread of custard tarts and tea sandwiches in a very comfortable and relaxing setting. Our hotel room was also very comfortable with a view of the Market. The evening snacks on the Concierge floor were delicious. It was a nice spread of cheese and crackers, and a warm crab dip. Breakfast was equally delicious. The Concierge Attendant was also very friendly and helpful answering any questions people had. We decided to use our 50 dollars voucher at Grill 225 on the roof for dinner. There wasn't much on the menu that looked appetizing. We decided on a chicken salad and roquefort pizza. The salad had way too much dressing on it, and the roquefort was so strong that it was hard to eat. However, it was relaxing sitting on the roof top. The pool on the roof is very small and not private. It also wasn't heated. The pool is more of aesthetic feature than a practical one. The fitness room was nice, however the setting on one of the dumbbells was broke. In the morning by girlfriend found a cockroach in the bathroom. When we reported it to the front desk we were told it was a palmetto bug. The location of MP makes it very convenient to always be in the center of Charleston's action.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Casey K
MarketPavilionGM, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2012

Thank you for your candor. I am very pleased you enjoyed your Concierge Level room and the amenities it has to offer. I do aplogize that you did not care for your meal at the Pavilion Bar; I will review that with our chef. I am sorry you did not mention anything to the manager while you were there, so we could have reacted to your concerns. However, I am glad you were able to relax while up there. I am sorry you were introduced to a South Carolina Palmetto bug. They are unfortunately a part of the South. However, I can assure you we do have regular extermination service and do our best to control that situation. We will of course, will make sure we give that area additional attention. We do appreciate you chosing the Market Pavilion Hotel and hope we will have the chance to serve you again.

Reviewed March 28, 2012

Market Pavilion Hotel was adorable - plus it had amazing smelling Hermes products in all the rooms. Dinner was fantastic, a welcome change from the yummy-yet-super rich Southern food abundant in the city, as were the drinks. It didn't hurt that I had a $50 food & drink credit! The hotel was super accommodating, my original room looked out on a parking lot and the staff had me in a new room with a great view within 10 minutes. I didn't get much pool time, as the weather wasn't perfect but I was able to enjoy a few hours in the afternoon getting some sun. Great drinks by the pool and a very relaxing atmosphere. I was there for work, and am very glad that I will be back in Charleston in a month for work again, and you can bet I'll be staying at the Market Pavilion.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the market - great people watching!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
MarketPavilionGM, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2012

Thank you so very much for your kind remarks. I am so glad you enjoyed the total experience; Hotel, Grill 225 and the Paviolion Bar. We appreciate you chosing the Market Pavilion Hotel and look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed March 19, 2012

A great hotel. Well worth the expense. The service and ambiance make this worth the price. The Grill 225 Restaurant was wonderful.
The hotel has a great location and the rooms are quite lovely. We stayed on the Concierge level which was another bonus.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
MarketPavilionGM, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2012

Thank you for your kind assessment. I am very pleased you enjoyed both the hotel and Grill 225. We appreciate you chosing the Market Pavilion Hotel and hope we will have the chance to serve you again.

Reviewed March 16, 2012

The Market Pavilion is a lovely property in a great location in Charleston. The rooftop restaurant is fabulous with wonderful food an views. The rooms are large and well appointed. We loved the coffee and croissants on each floor for breakfast. People go down the hall in their bathrobes to grab coffee and a little bite. We missed having a place for brunch on Saturday but there are many options in the neighborhood. BUT...we we had an unfortunate experience in the lobby bar where a group of customers were very drunk and nearly ended up in a fist fight - certainly not what you would expect in this caliber of property. The staff were slow to intervene and it was a very uncomfortable situation. Everything else was lovely and I would definitely go back again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank incognitodiva
MarketPavilionGM, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2012

Thank you for your candor. I am very glad you enjoyed your visit. Sounds as if you were able to take advantage of all of our amenities. I am sorry for the unfortunate situation you mentioned in our lobby bar. I will discuss this with the staff to review our actions inorder to ensure this type of situation is dealt wit swiftly and without incident. Thank you again for your feedback. We look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed March 16, 2012

We had a great view of the Custom House steps from our room and excellent concierge service from Susanne Cohen. Great bar on the roof and walkable to just about everything.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for chosing the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed you visit. I know Susanne will be pleased to know of her recognition. She is one of the city's finest Parlor Concierge. We hope your travels will bring you back very soon and that we will have the chance to serve you again.