“Very clean but a little pricey” 4 of 5 bubbles

Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown
Ranked #39 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“Very clean but a little pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2014

Stayed for Labor day weekend with the family. Rooms and public areas are very clean and all staff encountered were very polite. The location is a little far from any local attractions. The valet service was mandatory as there is no parking around the hotel, this needs some work as several times during the weekend it took an act of congress to wait for a spot in front of the hotel to park the car and track down a valet. On Saturday night it took almost 15 minutes of being double parked and waving traffic around my car while my wife was running around trying to track down someone to take our car. On the up side, it only took a phone call from our room and they had our car waiting for us outside before we got to the lobby. I don't know if I will stay again due to the location and price which was on the high side for the type of hotel it was $870 for three nights.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, September 3, 2014
Thank you for the review following your recent stay.
I'm sorry you experienced delays with the valet service. I'll be sure to review our scheduling on busy holiday weekends.
On closing, I hope we will the pleasure of welcoming you back on any future visit to Charleston.
Kind regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is very nice, new and modern. They put us on the top floor per request, and we moved a couple rooms down away from the elevator. The room is spacious, and the bathroom has enough counter space for my high maintenance items. The stand up shower wasn't very clean looking. They opted for a cheap shower insert instead of tile, and it showed mildew. The shower head was good though. I would recommend the hotel remove those showers and replace with some nice tile. The view was ok. I would also recommend you bring some thick tape to cover the bright green light on the thermostat that shines right in your eyes. I woke up several times in the night from that light. The roof pool is very nice. I enjoyed the covered patio area with a good book. The parking is valet only for $16 per day. This was convenient. Be prepared to drive to the restaurants and bars or take pedi cabs. This neighborhood hasn't developed enough yet, but give it a year or 2. Great hotel overall for the price, and we had a good stay. No free breakfast, though.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, September 2, 2014
As a Senior Contributor I certainly appreciate you spending the time to leave a review following your recent stay.
I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and your comments regarding the shower are appreciated.
We have noted the issue and are looking at options to resolve the problem in a few rooms.
As a seasoned traveler we all hope to welcome you back on a any future trip to Charleston.
Kindest regards.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2014 via mobile

As much as I love old historic places, unfortunately, they do not always have the best modern accommodations for our modern lifestyles. This hotel is modern and convenient with great value for Charleston's often over-priced hotel rates. The staff is friendly and helpful. It is so easy to hop on over to King Street and eat at one of many fabulous restaurants. I definitely will be returning to this Holiday Inn when I return to Charleston.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Sthrnfoodie
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
I'm delighted to read your recent review.
Many thanks for sharing your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
Thank you.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2014

In town for a wedding and was unsure where to stay since it was my first time in town. I picked this place based on several reviews. I am glad I did. The location is excellent. King Street is only a block over to some of the city's best bars and restaurants. Across the street is a stop on DASH for a free bus ride further downtown. One can also walk or take a pedicab. Staff is friendly. Room is spacious and clean. Only downside is that Charleston being surrounded on three sides by water is the lack of parking. They offer only valet parking which is another cost to the hotel stay. I had a rental and other then the wedding, I could have gotten around without the need for a car. The hotel is so close to everything. I would definitely stay here again as there were so many restaurants nearby I wanted to try.

Room Tip: Get a top floor room.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Joe T
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Many thanks for leaving a review following your recent trip to Charleston.
I am delighted you chose to stay with us and I'm glad you enjoyed your visit.
Hopefully you managed to enjoy a few of the great restaurants in town and we hope to see you back on any future visit.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2014 via mobile

New contemporary designed hotel close to downtown. Service is prompt. The hotel is close to visitor center and to trolleys which takes you to downtown. King street nearby has good dining options. Overall pleasant experience but could be better if it had some unique character and style.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Wunderluft
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Many thanks for your time to leave your feedback following your recent visit.
We certainly like to hear from everyone.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay.
Hopefully you will choose us again on your next visit to Charleston.
Mechanicsville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014

NOT your typical H.I. Everything from the staff to the room was perfect. Super clean, quiet, and affordable. I normally do not stay west of Calhoun St. but was glad I decided on this hotel. On the route with the free trolley that takes you down King St. to Market and Broad I never had to use my car. This is a great find especially if you like the night life of King which is just one block away and two blocks from the visitors center to catch any bus you need. I will definitely return.

Room Tip: The even numbered rooms have a balcony.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
      Cleanliness
2 Thank RogVA
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Thank you for taking an opportunity to stay with us on your recent trip to Charleston.
I am glad you found our location convenient, and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Kindest regards.
Lynchburg, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

This is the second time my wife and I have stayed at this hotel. Both times were on Reward points and the night before we started on our annual week at the beach. The hotel is new, very clean and the staff is super friendly. It is located in the historic area but on the fringe in a transitional area. We did not feel threatned by the neighborhood but we were also on guard. When we stayed there last year we suggested they set-up a complimentary coffee bar in the lobby which they did and that was a big plus on Saturday morning. The hotel needs to consider a shutlle service, if it just serviced the historic area, say a two or three mile radius that would be a real plus. Bottom line: this is a very nice hotel and we look forward to returning to it when we are in the area.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChamL
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
As an IHG Rewards member we truly value your patronage.
We pay attention to what our guests suggest, so I'm glad to read you enjoyed your coffee.
I'll work on the shuttle!
We all look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Kind regards, and thanks again.