“Wow, better than expected!” 5 of 5 stars

Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown
Ranked #31 of 59 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington, DC
“Wow, better than expected!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn for 5 nights in October 2013 and had a wonderful experience.
1. Yes, the hotel is on the edge of a run-down neighborhood, but do not let that scare you. The hotel is ONE block from King Street with all the restaurants, bars and nightlife. We walked around the block every night and never had a problem.
2. The hotel is about 4 blocks north of Marion square and there is a trolly/shuttle that picks up in front of the hotel every 20-30 minutes that can take you downtown or to the battery.
3. The hotel has a small outdoor pool, gym, laundry machines, drink/snack machines, etc
4. The hotel is very clean! It still feels brand new.
5. The staff is amazing - Valet, front desk, cleaning crew and restaurant servers/bartenders.
6. Valet has in/out privileges

The staff at the hotel really made our trip enjoyable - always with a smile!

Room Tip: The handicap room has a huge shower
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
It was great to read your review and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay.
Providing clean, comfortable accommodations with exceptional guest service is our number one goal, and I am glad we delivered.
On any future visit to Charleston, I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back.
Many thanks.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Dracut, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic! I loved the hotel, location and staff! Tammy was gracious during Checkin. Bartender Dan made a delicious martini, was knowledgeable about the area and also helped map out our vacation! The hotel is new so everything was clean and updated. I definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Thank you. As I have said many times in the past Dan and Tammy are great assets to our team and I am delighted you acknowledged their contribution.
I will thank you on their behalf, I certainly value all they do everyday. Thank you again, and we all hope you will come back and visit.
Regards,
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

This was far and away the nicest Holiday Inn I have visited. The building is brand new, well designed, and nicely appointed. The rooms are attractive and spotless. The lobby and the restaurant are comfortable. The location was convenient.

What really sets this hotel apart is the service, which was exceptional. Everyone we encountered was attentive, friendly, and eager to make our stay more pleasant. Tammy, at the front desk, was particularly fantastic. She gave us wonderful dinning recommendations and then made the reservations for us: She arranged tours and taxis. The services she provided is what I might hope for from a full-service concierge at a luxury hotel.

My few complaints are minor. The coffee in the rooms and in the restaurant was dreadful. And they had the nerve to charge $2.75 for the dreadful coffee in the lobby. At a hotel of this caliber, I'd expect good coffee. And other Holiday Inns I have visited always offer guests free coffee in the morning.

Also, the lighting in the bathroom is bad. This could be easily corrected by installed lighted vanity mirrors.

Overall, I had a wonderful stay. I look forward to coming back soon!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Betsy W,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent stay.
I am pleased you enjoyed your visit. Tammy is a huge asset to the hotel and we all appreciate the effort she makes to ensure our guests have a great stay.
Ironically I met with our coffee rep yesterday to discuss our coffee options, and I hope we have a solution.
Your kind words regarding the hotel are much appreciated, and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Charleston.
Thank you.
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We travel quite a bit for business and pleasure and our stay here at the Holiday Inn has truly been a mixed bag. Our first morning we had a rude awakening by fire alarm testing at 8am. Have you ever had the alarm go off in your hotel room before? It'll make your ears bleed and there's no escape from it. Apparently management didn't think it might be considerate to set off ear-piercing alarms later in the day and give their guests a heads-up as to when and how long it would last. We called down to the front desk and just get a casual apology. Our poor 1yo was screaming in terror...only for it to happen AGAIN in the afternoon while back in the room for our daughter's afternoon nap. Once again our baby is disturbed from her peaceful sleep and screaming her head off like the world's going to end, and the front desk just offers another casual apology and says it'll probably be another 15 minutes. I immediately head down to the lobby to escape the sound of the blaring alarm and to get our daughter calmed down. We ask to speak to a manager, who apologizes and says he'll let us know when the testing will be done so that we can return to our room. Well, we sat in the chairs DIRECTLY IN FRONT of the front desk and he never returned. You can't work that desk and not practically stare at whoever is seated in these chairs. We eventually asked ourselves if the alarm testing was over, and a staff person sheepishly nodded her head. Geez, thanks a lot for letting us know. I really find it shocking that this is how they treat their guests. It's really pathetic.
ANYWAY...I agree with other reviewers that their "Charleston Historic Downtown" label can be misleading. You'll have a 15 minute walk to get to the busier parts of town starting at Calhoun Street. I would suggest walking over to the busier King Street and taking that straight down. There's also the free trolley (look for the "211" bus route sign on the wood pole across the street from the hotel by the empty dirt lot next to the gas station) that takes you up a bit and then down as far as Broad Street and loops back. If you're a New Yorker like me, the walk isn't bad and the free trolley is a nice option to just hop on/off at any stop.
We've twice eaten tapas at the restaurant. Food and service were very good. We tried nearly the entire tapas menu and loved the kati rolls best. The valet guys have been very polite. Unfortunately, that's just not enough to make our experience here a positive one.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank imasianplum
I would like to offer my sincerest apologies that you were disturbed by our fire alarm during your recent visit.
We would certainly not purposely activate the fire alarms at 8am. During your visit our sprinkler company was actually working on our system and activated the alarm when draining the system in the morning and again when filling it back up in the evening. They should have silenced the alarm panel prior to carrying out this repair and I am sincerely sorry you and your family were inconvenienced.
I am also disapointed with the service you received and will address that matter with the individual team members involved. We strive to provide the highest level of guest service and clearly in your case we failed to deliver.
On a more positive note I would like to thank you for your detailed review about the hotel and area.
I am also delighted that you enjoyed the Meeting Room Restaurant and Tapas Bar. Kati rolls are a fairly new addition to our menu and I am glad you liked them.
On closing, I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back, as given that opportunity I feel confident we can redeem our reputation.
Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

All of the guests at our wedding who stayed here loved the hotel and the staff. The feedback I received was that the service was wonderful. Each guest felt so welcomed by the hotel's Charleston hospitality! I worked directly with Jessica to plan the hotel block, and she was prompt, efficient and responsive. At the last minute, we brought welcome gift bags for our guests, and the front desk delivered them to each of our guests. We were so happy that they were willing to go the extra step for our guests. A friend who had traveled from Brazil for our wedding said she slept for 10 hours without any disruptions. Although it is in a developing part of Meeting Street, there are great restaurants, bars and shops that are 3 seconds away. Don't overlook this hotel just because it is a bit farther.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Congratulations!
Thank you for staying with us.
I am thrilled your guests enjoyed their visit. Jess is a great asset to our team and takes every commitment head on.
I am so fortunate to have such a great group of people working along side me who's first goal is to ensure all of our guests have the best experience in Charleston.
Come back next year on your anniversary.
We can't wait to welcome you back.
Kind Regards.
Petersburg, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

The negative reviews for some people (those who have 0 tolerances, picky, natural whiners, etc) may be justified; HOWEVER, if you want an affordable place to stay in Charleston, don't mind a little walking (although the FREE shuttle goes right by the hotel and is only a 5-10 minute trip to downtown), and new, clean hotel, this is the place. As a Priority Platinum member, I had NO problems upgrading our room; all of the front desk people were VERY courteous, accommodating, extremely helpful in recommendations of restaurants, attractions. The free trolley was VERY convenient and eased the tension of having to drive into town, finding parking and PAYING for parking. It IS located "outside" the historic district, but presented NO problems for us

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you so much for your kind words.
There is no place like Downtown Charleston and we are doing our best to ensure the Southern Hospitality continues.
While we are still in the Historic District, the area around the hotel is being transformed.
We are all very excited to be part of the rejuvenation of this wonderful city and can't wait to welcome our next guest.
Thank you for sharing your experience and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next trip.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

This location is very good and about 2 blocks from Visitor center. It's a long walk to the Battery so we rode the free charming little trolleys. Hotel staff are super nice and helpful with suggestions, tips, and maps. The bed and linens were like mine at home. I'm very fussy and take my own pillow. Huge bath, great shower. We really liked staying there. Not free but $7.95 breakfast was delicious.

• Stayed October 2013
Nancy,
Thanks for taking the time to leave a great review.
We are all delighted you enjoyed your stay and we can't wait to welcome you back.