“Great hotel, great location”

Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown
Ranked #40 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Just spent last weekend at this beautiful hotel in Charleston's historic district. My friends and I couldn't have asked for a more comfortable experience. The rooms spacious clean and have big soft beds. The staff is attentive and full of that 'southern charm' and I was especially impressed with how good the hotel restaurant was. I got some korean chicken lettuce wraps that I could eat weekly. And to add to that, the location is central to all the bars and restaurants on King st. In two days of being there we didn't get in a car once.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience following your recent visit.
I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed our location being so close to the great restaurants on Upper King.
I am also pleased to read that you enjoyed the accommodations and restaurant during your stay.
The Korean Lettuce Wraps are a fairly new addition to our menu and have proven to be extremely popular along with our Kati Roll.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back onany future trip to Charleston.
Kind regards.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for a bachelorette party and it was amazing!! The first thing we noticed was the staff ... Super friendly and had great recommendations on places to eat and things to do. We especially enjoyed Dan the bartender who made great drinks and went above and beyond to make sure our bach was having a good time. Awesome happy hour deals at the bar and the apps were delish (get the hummus!!) The room itself was spacious, clean and modern and the beds were super comfy. The location is great and we were able to walk to king st where all the bars and restaurants are. Overall would HIGHLY recommend you stay here!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

We have had the opportunity to accommodate many guests visiting town to enjoy their pre wedding parties, and I am glad that you too enjoyed your visit.
Our location is ideal to experience the many wonderful restaurants and entertainment spots on Upper King, and I am glad we also had the pleasure of serving you in our bar.
Dan does a great job as you can see in so many of our reviews, and we value him being on our team.
We look forward to welcoming you back in future, and good luck with the wedding.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown for my Bachelorette Party. The girls and I adore this hotel. The rooms are spacious, clean and modern. The blankets are seriously so comfy. The location is just perfect. We were there for 2 nights and never needed our car. Everything (including the best restaurants in Charleston) is walking distance and the area is safe and attractive. But beyond the comfort I was blown away by the staff and service. From the moment we walked in, we were constantly greeted and taken care of. Dan, the bartender, is seriously the best. He makes a mean bloody mary and was such a sweetheart. Everyone made sure we were having the best experience.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Many thanks for leaving such a nice review following your recent stay.
I am very pleased you liked the hotel's facilities, found the location perfect to enjoy Upper King and enjoyed your experience in the Meeting Room Restaurant and Tapas Bar.
Dan does a stellar job and we all appreciate having him on our team.
Good luck with the wedding.
Best wishes in the future.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Let me tell you about the front desk staff. The trio of Nicole, Jaime and Brendan were outstanding. Whenever my wife and i had an inquiry about going to places, seeing the sites of the beautiful city of Charleston, they accomodated us so effortlessly. Their recommendations on restaurants were superb and on the mark. They couldn't have been any more pleasant to us New Yorkers and would recommend to any of our friends to stay at this hotel. It's the service and they came through with flying colors. Top notch.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

As with all the staff we aim to provide the best guest experience.
Jaime, Nicole and Brendan do a great job, and I am lucky to have such caring professionals on our team.
I will ensure they are acknowledged accordingly and thank you for taking the time to recognise the service you received.
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay.
Many thanks.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed in this hotel in August 2013 and it was beautiful, clean, the most pleasant staff and great restaurant. It is within walking distance to the real historic area of downtown Charleston and it looks as though the area location is getting a facelift with construction everywhere. I can not say we were surprised with the $16.00 fee per day to park the car and it was convenient to have someone bring the car to the door. We would gladly stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

We can not wait to welcome you back!
Thank you for sharing your kind words about the hotel.
The surrounding area changes by the day and we can't wait to for the new buildings to open soon.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Very clean and modern and dare I say, even chic? This is the new brand of Holiday Inn and it's fantastic. Breakfast is a full line of everything you could want - room service is also available. The rooms are clean and modern and have every amenity. They are also quiet. When other reviewers have said its not in the historic district and a whole MILE away all I can say is they better buy a house there if they expect to be next to the old slave market or they could possibly find a B&B. I like a full service hotel and this one is that AND comes at a great price. Besides, a mile is walk able in my book. You won't regret choosing this as your base to explore Charleston and there is a free trolley that picks you up right out front.

Room Tip: Ask or a high room - I always do to assure a quiet stay.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for leaving a review following your recent visit.
I am delighted you enjoyed the hotel and found our location a good base to explore Charleston.
I think we have a great hotel offering a more economical option when staying in the Historic District.
I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next trip to Charleston.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

The only drawback to this hotel is that it's on the northern edge of downtown (about 7 blocks north of Calhoun Street). Otherwise it's a nice, clean, modern hotel. Did not try the restaurant but it looked good on paper. Nice HD TV. Way above average WIFI. Some street noise but not bad at least on the 5th floor, Meeting Street side. Construction nearby but not too early or late. Nice room. The hotel reminds me more of an Indigo rather than a H.I. which is good.

There IS a free trolley that runs three different routes through the downtown area and that picks up and drops off near the hotel. We only used it once though because we love to walk anyway.

This hotel is certainly worth considering if the distance to the "good" stuff isn't too big a factor for you and there are quite a few good food choices north of Calhoun as well.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank zzrsteve
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Thanks for sharing your opinion of the hotel following your recent stay.
I am pleased you enjoyed the hotel. North of Calhoun is being redeveloped and many of the finest restaurants are now found on North King Street directly behind the hotel.
It wasn't so long ago that people wouldn't venture past Marion Square and I am pleased to say that's changing again as significant investment is being made in this area of the Historic District.
I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay and on your next visit I hope we can welcome you back when you can experience the further improvements in Downtown Charleston.
Kind regards,