“Great Accomodations”

Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown
Ranked #42 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I recently stay at this Holiday Inn for a business trip. I was very pleased with the accomodations the Hotel had to offer. The service and attitudes of the staff made the stay very enjoyable. After 2 long days of meetings it was nice to go back and relax and be taken care of by the bar staff before heading out for dinner. The room was nice and the bed was comfortable. Upon check out the staff was very sincere when they said thanks for staying with us. I will definately return to this hotel for a leisure visit. Great Job!!

Peter W

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Peter W
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Dear Peter W,
Many thanks for the great comments following your recent stay. Everyone associated with the property is very proud of our new hotel, and we aim to be the travellers number one choice when visiting Charleston.
We look forward to welcoming you back, when I hope you will have time to relax and enjoy our beautiful city.
Thanks

Reviewed February 20, 2013

This new facility has all the trappings of a more expensive hotel and in no way feels like a traditional Holiday Inn. Friendly staff greeted us from the valet to the front desk. Just a few blocks from the visitor center and the associated free trolleys, this brand new little five floor inn even boasts a privately run tapas bar in the evenings with a gourmet selection. The only negative was that it is so new that the daytime restaurant staff did not quite have their act together. That said, they were very friendly and accommodating. My guess is that after a few more weeks they will have the routine down perfect.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank calmus88

Thank you for your kind words. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay. We strive to provide the highest levels of guest service, and your comments regarding our day crew in the restaurant are well received. We will certainly improve and fine tune our operation.
I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on any future visit to Charleston.
Kind regards,

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I was very please with the service I was given as I arrived. The room was great and the restaurant deserves some recognition. The shrimp dish I ordered was to die for. The location was right next to King street, which made it easy to walk up and down market and king street through out the day (no need for driving). The surrounding area itself looks as if it is going through a complete uplift. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Hitesh P

Dear Hitesh P,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent stay at the hotel.
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and am pleased you acknowledged the huge investment in the surrounding infrastructure. We are proud to be part of the redevelopement in the area and look forward to the transformation.
We are fortunate to have one of Charleston's finest Chefs on board and I am sure in time, the Meeting Room and Tapas Bar will be recognised as one of Charleston's finest restaurants.
We look forward to welcoming you back.
Thanks

Reviewed February 19, 2013

This is a relatively new hotel (opened in January 2013). It is on the northern "edge" of redevelopment. Most sites are within walking distance (if you need a little exercise) but the location is not in the historic district. The hotel is new, so it looks nice and clean.

The bed was very comfortable and the shower was great. However, the bathroom mirror lighting is very poor making shaving a challenge. The room was also somewhat noisy. It seemed very susceptible to hallway noise, I was awoken in the middle of the night on several occasions. There was also an undesireable "mechanical" noise coming from the vent. The HVAC system also unexpectedly shut off at night leaving the room stuffy. Turning it on again helped, until it unexpectedly shut off again.

The front desk staff and valet parking people were very helpful. The housekeeping group did not fully replenish room supplies the after the first night. The restaurant crew seemed very new and did not work well together at all....lots of standing around or running around with very little service.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lkydog
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Ikydog,
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your visit.
On your recent departure I was immediately made aware of the problems you encountered during you stay, and I have addressed them with the appropriate departments.
On Monday our HVAC company sent an engineer to evaluate the problems you brought to our attention and has identified a fault in the system. He is repairing that as we speak, and I am pleased to say that as you brought it to our attention, no future guest will experience the same problem.
As you stated we are a brand new hotel, and while we strive to ensure every guest has a fabulous trouble free stay, we are working dilligently to address any areas of concern which are brought to our attention.
We value your business and I hope that on any future visit to Charleston, we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back. Given that opportunity I feel confident we will redeem our reputation.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

First caveat: this is NOT in the historic district. We visit in Charleston often and it is not an issue for us. We knew where we were staying but someone wanting to stay in the historic district will not get what they expect with this HI. But the service they will receive will be excellent! As with the rest of Chuck, there is no parking. The Valet guys are on the ball and soooo helpful. The front desk girls were helpful and friendly. As in a lot of new hotels, they are going to the large shower enclosures rather than a tub. Good plan, but there are a few drawbacks in this shower. There are 2 shelves the size and shape of a diagonal sandwich which is not sufficient for most women and our products. Also, there is no ledge or step on which to prop your foot in order to shave your legs. This is a design flaw and no hotel should install these shower enclosures.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank CofCMom

CofCMom,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us following your recent stay.
A great deal of planning and thought went into the design of our new hotel, and your comments regarding the oversized shower have been noted.
As we continue to evolve, I assure you we will give serious consideration to all the comments left by our guests, regarding any changes we can make, to improve our guest's experience.
Input such as yours is a valuable tool we rely on and I would once again like to thank you for your review.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed at this new hotel last week. After my flight was diverted to Columbia due to inclement weather in Charleston, I arrived late and tired and was immediately warmly greeted by the Valet Staff.
Kelli at the front desk was outstanding, the room: spacious, clean, obviously new and extremely comfortable.
The public areas in the hotel are beautifully appointed, wonderful pool area and I heard from some other guests that the restaurant is fabulous.
I can't say enough positive things about my stay. Although too brief, I will definately make this hotel my first choice on any future visit to Charleston.

Room Tip: They are all new!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank FloridaGM

Thank you for your kind comments. Hopefully on your next visit you can stay a little longer, not only to enjoy the wonderful facilities at the hotel but the beautiful city of Charleston.
We all look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

We chose the Holiday Inn- Historic District for our base camp during my four day Bachelor Trip in February 2013. Everything about this hotel is top notch. Change the name and it could just as easily be an Embassy Suites Hotel. It’s that nice. I won’t have to waste my time deciding where to stay the next time I go back to Charleston because the Holiday Inn-Historic District has it all; clean, great customer service, and good food. Here’s my breakdown for everything:

Location- You might be a little hesitant when you first arrive because of the neighborhood it’s in. However, that whole area is being developed and will be really nice within a year. But we had absolutely no problems with safety or anything like that. They have valet parking and there is a parking garage attached to the building and our golf clubs, which were just lying in the back of our pickup truck, were safe and secure the whole time. A huge plus is that it’s within easy walking distance from King St which has lots of restaurants, bars, shops, and entertainment. We also played gold at Patriot’s Point which is only 5 miles away.

Hotel- The hotel itself is fantastic. We were told it had only been open for about 2 weeks when we arrived. There is a heated-salt water pool on the second floor that was very nice and felt great. Especially on those days we didn’t feel 100% due to the previous night’s activities. The rooms were very nice, comfortable, clean and Housekeeping does a great job if you need anything for your room (towels, bed changed, extra soap, etc).

Food- Get ready to be surprised. This isn’t a microwave and bagel type of hotel dining experience and there isn’t some hungover college kid cooking in the back. They have an actual chef that provides excellent menu options, for both breakfast and lunch, that is only outdone by how good the food tastes and how well the service is. We decided to eat dinner there one night and the Shrimp and Grits was amazing. Those in our group who had breakfast were impressed also.

Bar- Yes, the Holiday Inn has a FULL BAR. If you want it, they got it. Plus, the bartenders, Josh and Dan (Billy Mays twin) do a great job making whatever you want along with keeping the conversations going.

Customer Service- From the time you are greeted by Colton and the Valet Guys, the Customer Service doesn’t stop or diminish. Nicole, Gabby, and the other girls at the Front Desk are great at assisting anyway they can. All you have to do is ask a hotel employee for anything and they will help.

Kevin- Yes, I had to give a separate paragraph for Kevin. He is the Food and Beverage Manager and as good as he is at that, he is an even better Concierge and overall Ambassador for the hotel and Charleston. Anything you want to know about Charleston, just ask Kevin. He knows where to eat, where to visit, where to shop, and can help with reservations and transportation. I have been all around the world and stayed at many hotels, but I have never met someone who does a better job at Customer Service and representing his hotel than Kevin. I’m sure you will see his name in other reviews and will get to see for yourself if you visit the hotel.

In closing, I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to Charleston. We all had a great time staying there and I want to personally thank the entire staff for the great job they did taking care of our wild bunch. There is no where else we could have stayed and had a better time or better service. We will be back. And if you go, tell Kevin that Todd, the Bachelor of the First Bachelor Party to stay there, said hi.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask the front desk to put you on the side opposite of any construction g...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Todd D

Todd D,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a detailed review following you recent visit. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and I will ensure I share you kind remarks with all the team at the hotel and in particular Kevin.
Not only I am fortunated to manage a beautifully appointed hotel but have the pleasure of working with a great staff, dedicated to provide exceptional guest service.
I hope I will have the opportunity to meet you on your next visit to Charleston.
My thanks,