“Great destination - Wonderful staff”
Review of Church Street Inn

Church Street Inn
Barrie, Ontario
“Great destination - Wonderful staff”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We visited Charleston in late November 2013. The location of the property was fantastic - could walk absolutely everywhere. We rented a vehicle for a couple of days just to explore a little further, and the nearby parking garage worked well. We had a one bedroom suite - very comfortable with lovely furnishings. But the absolute best part was the staff - they were all so very friendly, helpful and accommodating it made the stay outstanding. Thank you!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Fayzer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed January 3, 2014

The Church Street Inn was in a wonderful location but as you can see by our photo, 4 adults in our small room was not ideal. Our bedroom was upstairs, and our adult sons had to sleep on the sofa "bed" downstairs in the small living room. After one night of no sleep due to the pitiful mattress and the springs poking them in the back, we drove to Wal-Mart to purchase a queen size air mattress. So for the rest of the 6 days they slept on the floor on the air mattress. Even sitting on the couch during the day was not very comfortable and when we first arrived I had to have the maid service sweep the living room floor since it was not very clean. Also, the only shower was in our upstairs bathroom which made it challenging for 4 adults to get ready in the mornings. I chose not to voice my complaints to the staff since I did not want my sons to feel embarrassed. On a positive note, the staff was very helpful and made sure we had clean towels daily and spruced up our room when we requested. The Church street Inn is in an ideal location, very close to the restaurants and open markets. We walked to many quaint shops and even had a wonderful pub called Tommy Condons right across the street. We loved Charleston, SC and plan to return in the future. One thing this has taught us is that if it says will sleep 2 to 4, what it really means is will sleep 2 comfortably. In researching other inns in the area, I was shocked to learn that Church Street Inn was about the only one that did not offer either a complimentary breakfast or wine and cheese for the guests.

Room Tip: If the resort says the room sleeps 2 to 4 persons, what you should realize is they really mean is sl...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Barbara C
Luxembourg, Luxembourg, Luxembourg
Reviewed January 2, 2014

This hotel is ideally located for the main attractions in Charleston. Rooms were very spacious, service was excellent.
However we didnt quite understand why there is a mandatory valet parking service? The parking they use is a public one right next to the hotel and the price you pay is the same. If you add the tip, it is even more expensive.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Claude R
Maryland
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I researched a bunch of properties before deciding to book the Church Street Inn through Hotels.com. Most of the other properties with suites or condos were much more expensive and not as centrally located. This is definitely the best value for your money in Charleston.
However, do not expect a five-star experience. The property is a time-share where most people come in for a full week from Sunday to Sunday. The units are nicely furnished but nothing special. It's more like staying over at a friend's house than staying at a plush resort.
The Church Street Inn is located on a side street right opposite the Market. You can walk to King Street in one direction and to all of the restaurants and bars on East Bay in the other direction. I have a gimpy knee and cannot walk to far without it bothering me, and I was able to walk everywhere without any problems (except for tours that were further afield).
The unit we had was spacious, clean, and comfortable. The only issue we had was that the fridge was not working. This was not a problem for us as we were only keeping soft drinks in the fridge and used the ice machine to keep things cool.
The staff were exceptional. All of them were very friendly and helpful.
I would not hesitate to recommend the Church Street in to our friends and family.
We will stay again next time we are in Charleston!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Amanda B
virginia
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I exchanged thru interval to get a 1 bedroom unit. I called in advance to get information about the bed configuration and they could not give it to me. My reservation said room 215 but I was assigned to 217 upon arrival. This made me believe that due to my later arrival I got a room with 2 double beds upstairs. I was told the "owner" sometimes give units to Interval but that usually only 1 or 2 units out of the 31 are exchanged as most owners use their units.

This unit had not been remodeled. It was okay but after taking their sales tour, I do know that the remodeled units are nicer. The remodeled unit has granite counter tops in the kitchen and bath. Stainless steel appliances and a better kitchen layout. Even though it is a galley, the stove and refrigerator are turned in the old units and make some drawer unable to open. I had to force my hand into the utensil drawer and pull everything out and put it on the counter.
Remodeled bathrooms are tiled. Corner wall surfaces were damaged in my unit and in the remodeled unit protective modeling was installed. Most of this is cosmetic and just makes it look nicer. Overall, the unit was comfortable. Primary seating is a 3 seat sofa. 4th person would have to sit at a table chair. In our unit, we had 2, both of which had ripped fabric backs. I did report this and front desk acted amazed but they were not replaced.

We were here Sunday-Sunday. Our major room clean would have been on Wednesday. The maids stop every day and ask if you need anything. They traded out towels on Wednesday and took trash as asked(we cooked daily). They were all very nice.

The lobby area is nice with some seating and a coffee area to the side. Coffee is provided up to 11 am. They sell coffee for the room at 50 cents per bag. Not sure how much that makes but it is a nice option to have. There are several nice grocery stores on Meeting and East Bay Streets (Harris Teeter and Bi-Lo).

This unit had 1 1/2 baths, the sofa bed downstairs and 2 double beds upstairs with a balcony that opens to Market Street. I slept downstairs on the sofa rather than on the sofa bed as I didn't find the bed to be comfortable when opened up. This would have been an issue if more of us were staying. I did hear noise on the street from time to time but you would have to be a light sleeper to be bothered by it. All rooms with odd # face Market Street. Even numbers face the courtyard. There is a fountain and a few tables in the courtyard.

Parking can be valet or self park for the same price which is $18 per day. The garage is located at the end of the block and around the corner, approximately 1 long city block away. I chose to self park and could always find a spot on the first floor but I also used my car every day as we have family in the area and were going out every day. They give you a card to use for parking access. If you go on the sales presentation, they will cover your parking for the week. They ask for 2 hours and it is done as a group and will take at least 2 hours. They run 3-4 groups per day. The concierge also gave us a carriage tour in addition to the parking for the sales presentation and she got the tickets a day before the presentation so we could take the carriage tour the day we wanted.

Overall a very nice timeshare, some units are worn. I don't believe if you are exchanging you will get the nicest units. The units are small but adequate for space since I don't think you would spend a lot of time in the unit.

Room Tip: Odd numbers face Market Street which is a major tourist street. In summer months it would be noisier...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Annette A
Reviewed November 26, 2013

In Charleston, it's all about location! The Church Street Inn fits the bill perfectly & you can park your car, & forget about it until you are ready to leave. It's right across from the city market and Tommy Condon's Irish Pub-what could be better?? We had a great time & loved the condo. When you enter the front door (we were in #206), the master bedroom suite is on the first floor & you have to go upstairs to the kitchen, living room, & dining room. The photos led us to believe that it would be the other way around. This might cause some problems for someone who is handicapped. There is an elevator that will take you up to your condo. Our check-in went smoothly & we were able to each pay our share on our credit cards at that time so it was nice they would divide that up for us. We didn't wish to attend the time-share demonstration & decided to just park our car ourselves in the garage around the corner after unloading. No pressure to listen to the time-share talk.

We loved the roominess of the condo-it had everything we needed in the kitchen & bathrooms, toiletries & all. The refrigerator & stove are full sized with a dishwasher & garbage disposal. The icemaker didn't work but we didn't need to use it, just reported it to the desk at our check-out. We slept on the sofa sleeper & the mattress was thin so that you could feel the springs inside. For the subsequent nights, we just covered the mattress with a couple of the extra blankets in the closets & had no problems.

I am recommending this "hotel" to all my friends! It is a home away from home!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Milledgeville, Georgia
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We visited Charleston for the first time in decades. We joined another couple in our first stay at the Church Street Inn. What a wonderful surprise! Our spacious suite appeared to be freshly decorated with plenty of room for the four of us. The staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful. The court yard was perfect for an afternoon glass of wine. Located adjacent to the city market area, we could see the shoppers from our windows. Did I mention restaurants? Too many in the immediate area to mention. A great place to stay in a wonderful city! We will be back soon!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple