“A REAL Burger - wonderful”
Review of HoM

HoM
Ranked #135 of 936 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: HoM is a Charleston, SC burger boutique, ping pong lounge & neighborhood bar. Happy Hour every M-F, 4-7pm. Lunch specials every M-F, 11am-2pm.
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We were recommended to visit HoM by our Server at the High Cotton the previous night, when we asked where could we get a "proper" burger. In fact he suggested 4 different choices but as two of them were on Upper King Street this seemed the best place to find somewhere to try.

We had been on a walking tour of Charleston earlier and finished at the Battery so estimated it would be 20-30 minutes more walking until we reached these so by the time we finally got to HoM we were ready for a cool drink and a good meal.

We arrived shortly before 2pm and there was a lunchtime offer of burger, side and soft drink for $10 displayed outside. We were seated promptly and served with drinks whilst we perused the wide choice of burgers available. By the time we ordered it was after 2pm so we'd apparently missed the offer but that wasn't really a big problem.

Anyway all 4 of us decided on the same choice, the Ritz burger, which comes with oven tomatoes, parmesan, mushrooms and red onion marmalade and we enjoyed the general ambiance whilst we waited for these to be prepared to our taste.

It was a little surprise to find table tennis tables to the rear of the restaurant and on returning to the table I was told in no uncertain terms by "She who must be obeyed" that I was not disappearing to try them out! It was therefore time to take further sips of the rather excellent draft beer that was in front of me.

Our burgers arrived with the sides ordered and we proceeded to demolish them with great relish and all agreed that it had been well worth the long walk to reach here and be able to have such a good lunch on our last day in the States.

A final nice touch was that when the bill arrived our Server had managed to put half the meals through on the "Deal" so not only did we have a great meal but it was at a really good price.

It might be a long time before we're back in Charleston but assuming HoM is still there, we'll be back.

1  Thank prefdavid

Reviewed March 2, 2013

A great place to grab a burger and watch the game. Excellent, juicy burgers, fried pickles and sweet potato fries with blue cheese.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

HoM is one of our go to restaurants for a hearty Sunday brunch. Some of our favorite dishes include the One-Eyed Larry, Cow Egg, The Old Man & The Brunch Club. Love the French press coffee!
The menu is interesting & creative and the food well prepared. The wait staff is friendly & attentive. There are 2 ping pong tables in the back of the restaurant if you need to expend some energy. Low key, casual atmosphere.

1  Thank Bartelyee1
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I love HoM's burgers. They are relatively new to Charleston but they have great burgers. A little pricey, but you get what you pay for.

1  Thank Steven_J1001
Reviewed January 19, 2013

My personal favorite place to go for burgers in Charleston is easily Hom. I would eat here every day if I could. I used to get their muther-clucker, which was a chicken sandwich with a fried egg, crispy onions and a special raisin sauce. It was absolutely delicious! The chicken was moist and the special sauce added great flavor. However, now that they've changed their menu a bit, I go for the homwrecker, which is a burger with a fried egg (gotta love those fried eggs!), bacon, cheese and a green relish sauce. Per usual, the sauce really takes the burger to another level. The burger is juicy and drips down the sides of your arms like a good burger is supposed too. Definitely use lots of napkins! My friend has tried their hot dogs for happy hour and says that they are really great. They have a really nice happy hour with mini burgers, hot dogs and specialty drinks (that always sound delicious). Also, go for some of their french fries or sweet potato fries to share. They are a can't miss. The only problem I've had is that their service can be a little wishy-washy at times, but they more than make up for it with their food. I also love the ping-pong tables in the back! I highly recommend Hom if you're looking for a good burger.

1  Thank Texas2829