“Immensely informed and interesting guide”

Charleston in a Nutshell
Ranked #22 of 243 Tours in Charleston
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Charleston in a Nutshell Driving and Walking Tours is perfect for sightseers who want to visit the city's "must-see" places. Please join me on my Citywide Driving Tour or a Walking Tour. See our most beloved landmarks as you learn about the city's rich history, architecture, and culture. Go off the beaten path to places that are off limits to bus and carriage tours. I also offer special rates for groups of 10 or more. As a licensed tour guide since 1997, it's my passion to show off this unique city to visitors from around the world. Hope to see you in Charleston!
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We enjoyed a Civil War tour with Jeff last weekend. He combines an intriguing historical dialogue with archival pictures. He welcomes questions and has many amusing anecdotes about the times and the people. The price is beyond reasonable for the service,

All reviews
"hour walk"
in 7 reviews
"two hours"
in 15 reviews
"extremely knowledgeable about the history"
"perfect length"
"beautiful city"
in 10 reviews
"interesting details"
"tour guide"
"his knowledge"
in 9 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 8 reviews
"small group"
in 5 reviews
"great introduction"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Jeff is a very knowledgeable and personable guide to historic Charleston. We would highly recommend him to anyone interested in learning more about this amazing city.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Touring with a 7th generation Carolinian was an exceptional experience. Jeff seemed to have just the right mix of social and architectural history for our group of four. He was receptive to questions and in his answers revealed the depth of his knowledge and enthusiasm for his city. We came away informed and eager to explore more. And he is just a really pleasant person, too.
Irene from Dallas, Texas

1  Thank wanderer75205
FSUMarley, Owner at Charleston in a Nutshell, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Thank you again for your business and taking time out to write your review. I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit and hope you can make it back someday. Meeting people like you makes giving tours so rewarding. Have a great summer in the big "D" and come again!

Reviewed May 25, 2012

We took Jeff's walking tour and we learned a great deal of history. Jeff knows his history with
added interesting details. He is knowledgeable and very enthusiastic. It was more difficult
keeping with his information on Charleston's start of the civil war than his walking pace. He is
an excellant teacher. You should go. We will go again and choose one of Jeff's tours.

1  Thank Bmclane_12
See more reviews
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I had my Aunt and Uncle in town for the day today and was going to show them around Charleston myself since I've lived here for 16yrs and know a good bit about the history already. But, I didn't want to disappoint them so I googled Charleston history in a nutshell expecting to find something that I could print out and use as a reference. Yet to my surprise it led me to Jeff Zimmerman and his walking tour. I called him and set up a tour for 1pm half expecting there to be 10 or 15 other people in our group, but there wasn't. It was just him and us on our own little private tour for almost 2hrs meandering throughout the beautiful streets of charleston mostly south of Broad St. Jeff was very informative and insightful, especially when it came to architecture and botany. I highly recommend Jeff and one of his tours.

1  Thank DaDawgs01