“Nice ambiance! Nice Food! Great catering service!”
Review of Jamaican Me Hungry - CLOSED

Jamaican Me Hungry
Cuisines: Caribbean, Jamaican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: S Market St.
Description: Still looking? Haven't found authentic Caribbean food? You're about to experience a new wave in fine Caribbean cuisine. Discover "the next generation, the all new bona fide Caribbean dining experience". Your palate will be awakened to rediscover a culinary pride that has now influenced the world. Caribbean cuisine may have come late to the world's culinary scene, but it has proven to be one of the most buoyant additions. Come enjoy a taste of the Islands.
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I first tasted J.M.H.'s food at a church event they catered in Jan 2013 and again two weeks ago(I didn't pay for the catering services, so I can't comment on that, but there was an abundance of Jerk Chick, Ox Tails,Plantains, Rice&Peas, and Curry Chickn). After enjoying the abundance of food they served at the event, I had to find them and take my hubby.We dined-in in February. He's Caribbean and was very impressed-I know b/c he cleaned his plate of Curry Goat, Rice&Peas, Plantains, and mixed cabbage. Oh, don't forget the Sorrel Spritzer! I enjoyed my pineapple shrimp too, but I kept asking him for some of the rich gravy from the curry goat. The Jamaican vibe in the restaurant is so rich, you can't help but sit back and relax. Call ahead, because seating is what it is. I'll try ordering delivery or take-out next time and submit a review since they deliver in the North Chas/Ashley Phosphate area now. If you go at night, park in the garage across from Tommy Condons and save a lot of headache with just a short walk around the corner to Market &State Street.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

I came across this restaurant in the "DISH" magazine! I just had to check it out and I'm so glad I did. The ambiance was amazing. The owners were friendly and the quality of the food was PERFECT!!!! I enjoyed the curry goat most of all, especially since it was my first time having it. I will definitely come back to dine in the near future!!!!

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Just discovered this spot after my dad told me there was a Jamaican restaurant in Charleston. First thing I noticed when I walked in was that the atmosphere was very nice, almost surprisingly so for a restaurant that ended up being about as laidback as I had originally expected. It's an small (intimate?) space, but one that's definitely comfortable. It was bar seating for me and I was served by the owners, who are great conversational partners. I got the Reggae Wrap with Oxtail, which is super flavorful and is served with plantains on it, which makes it a very interesting dish, and the Jamaican orange soda, which is probably the best soft drink you will ever have. All in all the complaints I have read most in reviews of this place are the service and the prices, and the prices are very much in line with what I encounter at a lot of spots in Charleston, and I didn't feel disappointed by value there any more than a lot of places in Charleston. Apparently there was a not-very-good server here at some point in the past, but now it's just the owners and they're pretty awesome. I had a great time and I'm definitely going back, possibly as soon as I get done writing this review.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

While visiting Charleston, we came across this restaurant while walking down Market Street. We received the recommendation from a waiter at a nearby seafood restaurant. I had the Oxtail and it was very tender, falling off of the bones. The food was tasty and very filling. In addition to the oxtail they gave us cabbage, rice and plantains. The owners were extremely friendly and we enjoyed talking to them.

The restaurant was not crowded, but the seating area is rather tiny. Recommend making reservations if there is a large number in the dining party. Also, the menu changes daily so you may want to call or prepare in advanced if there is a specific Jamaican entree that tickles your fancy. The owners may whip it up with notificatio, if not on the menu. Would definitely eat here again if in the Charleston area.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

While visiting Charleston we stopped in on New Years Eve for dinner. Owned by a very friendly husband and wife team. I had the jerk chicken which was tasty. It had the proper amount of heat to be legitimate jerk.The venue is small-seats about 20 so reservations are strongly recommended. Its BYOB but they don't charge a corkage fee. I was told they've been open for 10 months so they're still building their clientele. A nice addition to the market area. I look forward to eating there again when I'm in Charleston.