“Not a whole lot to it”

Ranked #56 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Lexington, South Carolina
“Not a whole lot to it”
Reviewed July 27, 2009

Exactly what you expect from a Motel 6...no frills whatsoever. Our room was clean, and looked like it had been recently updated. The A/C took a long time to cool down a small room, and the mattress was awful. Both my wife and I woke up with our backs hurting. The motel is not in the best part of town, but not the worst. The lady at the front desk and other staff were very friendly. The really only bad experience we had was someone booming their rap music in their car and screaming in the parking lot at 1:30 in the morning. Other than that, though, we didn't really spend much time in the room.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Landfall74

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed June 29, 2009

Of course there is not much to be expected at that rate. This place is really the most basic basic basic. A chair with plastic cover, plastic table, plastic bath. Didn't look very clean and all with hair from different pre-sleepers. A bit disgusting.
And why does a non-smoking room smells that terribly smoky ?!?!
Location is right off the highway behind a McDonalds. As several reviewers already wrote, do request a room facing away the highway. It is quieter then.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank magyar_lany

Travelers are raving about these Charleston hotels

Pine Mountain
Reviewed April 26, 2009

This is the second time I have chosen this motel. I want a clean and inexpensive room when traveling on business and this location fits the bill. Ask for (no, demand) a room on the side opposite the freeway entrance ramp. The staff is cordial, my room met my standards of cleanliness (spotless bathroom). I asked for a no-smoking room, and it seemed to meet the bill. SO...for a reasonably clean, decent room for the night, this motel met my expectations.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank mtnoakcreek
Weehawken, New Jersey
Reviewed March 28, 2009

I often stay at Motel 6 when I travel, and never understood why people dislike it so much: Motel 6s offer great value and comfortable, clean accommodations, at least from my experiences. This one, however, may be an exception. The location was questionable...at best! There was some kind of domestic altercation in the room next to us and the cops were brought in a 5 am in the morning: it caused a lot of noise. Also, there was a hit and run incident on Savannah Hwy right outside the motel, according to the local news, the night that we stayed there, so it was kind of a shady neighborhood. I recommend trying out the other Motel 6 in Charleston instead.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
tennessee
Reviewed January 17, 2009

In Aug '08 myself and some friends went to charleston for a vacation............motel6 took really good care of us and we really enjoyed our stay.......the management and staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome and at home thanks to the staff for that southern hospitality!!!! Be back this coming summer!! Lisa

• Liked — the personality of the staff and management
  • Disliked — having to leave
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank coopdeville
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed October 16, 2008

For $45, I guess I shouldn't have expected much. Cigarette butts under the bed, smelly room, tiny shower and bathroom, and noise throughout the night. First and hopefully last experience with a one star hotel.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sid645
Irvine, California
Reviewed August 21, 2008

The Charleston Motel 6 on Savannah Highway was a pleasant place to lay my head after a grueling day on the road. It’s not the Ritz, but it was very clean and comfortable, if a bit old, and the staff was very friendly and efficient.

Actually, only the carpet showed its age (it wasn’t thin, exactly, but it had definitely seen many feet walk over it), but it was still clean, and I had no qualms about walking over it in my bare feet. The bed was clean and very comfortable, and the bathroom was very, very clean and had been fitted with a newer shower.

The motel’s exterior was kept free of litter, and I felt very safe sitting outside my room and enjoying the lovely Charleston evening.

The motel is rather tricky to get into, and it’s sort of hidden behind McDonald’s, but the location is good. McDonald’s is right next door, there is a shopping mall a couple of blocks away, and a strip mall with a Piggly Wiggly is a quick walk across a parking lot.

I enjoyed my one night stay at the Charleston Motel 6 and will be happy to call it home for a night or two should I ever return to the city (and I plan to – Charleston is amazing!).

• Liked — I felt very safe.
  • Disliked — no complaints here!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo