“crappy”

Motel 6 Charleston South
Ranked #59 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed October 16, 2008

For $45, I guess I shouldn't have expected much. Cigarette butts under the bed, smelly room, tiny shower and bathroom, and noise throughout the night. First and hopefully last experience with a one star hotel.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sid645

Reviewed August 21, 2008

The Charleston Motel 6 on Savannah Highway was a pleasant place to lay my head after a grueling day on the road. It’s not the Ritz, but it was very clean and comfortable, if a bit old, and the staff was very friendly and efficient.

Actually, only the carpet showed its age (it wasn’t thin, exactly, but it had definitely seen many feet walk over it), but it was still clean, and I had no qualms about walking over it in my bare feet. The bed was clean and very comfortable, and the bathroom was very, very clean and had been fitted with a newer shower.

The motel’s exterior was kept free of litter, and I felt very safe sitting outside my room and enjoying the lovely Charleston evening.

The motel is rather tricky to get into, and it’s sort of hidden behind McDonald’s, but the location is good. McDonald’s is right next door, there is a shopping mall a couple of blocks away, and a strip mall with a Piggly Wiggly is a quick walk across a parking lot.

I enjoyed my one night stay at the Charleston Motel 6 and will be happy to call it home for a night or two should I ever return to the city (and I plan to – Charleston is amazing!).

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed May 7, 2008

My husband and I, and our Basset Hound, stayed here for one night on May 3. Yes, this is a no-frills motel (no hair-dryer, or coffeemaker, or fancy toiletries in the room), but we only needed a bed for us and our pet for the night, and had an extremely pleasant stay.
After reading some reviews on this website, I had asked for a 2nd floor non-smoking room facing away from the highway when booking the accomodation. This is exactly what we got. Check-in staff was very friendly, and there was no charge for our dog. The room was not large, but big enough to set up a 36" dog crate and still be able to move around freely. In fact, the bathroom, with an interestingly designed round corner shower unit, was quite large. The air conditioning had numerous settings, all of which worked well, and was not even noisy. The room appeared clean, did not smell of smoke, and allowed us to have a peaceful night's sleep without being disturbed by traffic noise.
Only one cleaning lady knocked on our door on Sunday morning at around 10. After a refreshing swim in the pool, we checked out shortly before noon, without being bothered by anybody else wondering if we had vacated the room yet.
The motel's location on Highway 17 is extremely convenient both to downtown Charleston, and to outlying areas in the south of the city (James Island, Folly Beach). It also enabled us to leave Charleston again heading north to Charlotte without ever having to hit downtown traffic. There are numerous stores, fast-food restaurants and a large grocery store right behind it.
All in all, we found the hotel to be extremely convenient in every respect, and its rate a bargain, given Charleston prices.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NCVienna
Reviewed April 15, 2008

1. Booked a non-smoking room with queen bed, get a not-expected discount with $10 at the check-in.
2. Room smells like somebody has smoked here before, mixed with smells from air-refresher
3. We tried to eliminate the smell, but the window could not be opened. The fan works fine but loud, so we didn't sleep very well all night...
4. Room is relatively clean from my standard, but not according to the standard of my girlfriend's
5. For the price, the hostel is OK near the hot spot Charleston. 10 minutes drive from historic area.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank crisper
Reviewed May 8, 2006

We asked for a non-smoking room and got a room that clearly was anything but. I would have asked for another room but didn't see the point; while I was checking in someone else who had asked for a n/s room came down and asked for another n/s room because theirs smelt like smoke. Neither quiet nor particularly clean, this Motel 6 had no real redeeming qualities.

• Stayed: May 2006
2  Thank doggone31
Reviewed August 29, 2005

We spent two nights at this Motel 6. Because one night was a weekend night, this motel was the most affordable compared to others. The room was clean, including the bathroom, although the carpet and linoleum in the bathroom were a bit worn. The room was on the small side, with a strong smell of air freshener. Based on the reviews listed here, we requested a room that was not facing the highway and had no problems with noise. They have a coin washer and dryer (we didn't get to use them but would've if we knew ahead of time), and free coffee in the mornings. We didn't get to use the pool, but the leaves in the pool blown in by the strong winds were cleaned up by the next day. If I had a bigger budget, I would stay elsewhere, but for this price I'd consider staying again.

• Stayed: August 2005
1  Thank minger71
Reviewed August 25, 2005

Stayed here as I couldn't afford to stay in downtown Charleston. Was a good location, taxi into town for a night out wasn't too expensive. When we were knackered there were places to eat (not very exciting plkaces but they did the trick) and a piggly wiggly within walking distance. Room was clean and on arrival lady was nice and gave us lots of maps and stuff. Good location to drive to downtown and Magnolia Plantation from here.

• Stayed: March 2005