New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Motel 6 Charleston South

Motel 6 Charleston South
Ranked #57 of 59 Hotels in Charleston
Raleigh, North Carolina
“You get what you pay for”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

We stayed here during April 2014. I booked the hotel thinking it was a great price within 15 minutes of downtown Charleston. That's the only plus about this hotel. There's no shampoo provided in the hotel (to keep their rooms reasonably priced as we were told) and our room had a dirty shelf and apparently a dirty towel left in it. There was a cockroach in our room that I had to kill. My wife called to complain and we were offered a free night stay voucher that we didn't receive at checkout (I could have stayed to complain and demand my voucher, but I just wanted to get out of there and enjoy my vacation). So, if you absolutely don't care about taking a full shower and don't mind a cockroach or two and just need shelter with a locked door, this place will do! I will add that this was one of a very few hotels even available the weekend we stayed (obviously for a reason). We didn't have a lot of options as everything was booked! The takeaway from all this is to plan ahead and book a room and spend a little extra $ if you need more essentials.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Andrew N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Stayed 3 days here. Didn't have too many expectations but didn't intend to spend too much time in the room anyhow.Just expected it to be clean and reasonable.
This hotel was beyond my expectations.
Had a nice welcome by a very nice and helpful staff.
My room was a standard Motel 6 room, very clean, quiet, free wifi.Had everything I needed.
One thing - maybe it's about time to change the old mattresses. Sleep quality can gain a lot here.
Over all, this is a good option in a reasonable price.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Winter Garden, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

We were staying in Charleston for a large event. Needless to say there were few hotels available in Charleston and all of them were being billed at a premium. I would never pay as much as I did typically for a Motel 6. However, relatively speaking to other properties it was the cheapest. I was greatly surprised. The front desk staff was very nice and welcoming. The rooms were clean and in great condition. The beds may not have been the most comfortable, but it was better then I expected. The location is great. There are many food options available and you are just over the river from the historic city.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Lee D
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was wonderful i stayed a week with my 2 dogs the only issue we had was the power went off twice but they fixed it right away and apologized a million times and even put us in another room for the night while the power was out. The house keepers came by everyday to see if we needed anything the front desk called a few times to make sure we was enjoying our stay. The MGR was amazing she knew what she was doing unlike the guy at North Charleston. Id recommend it to anybody thats looking for a cheap room

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank blahblahblah96
Danville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Full of roaches. The WIFI does not work. The people in the lobby hang up the phone to guests if they try to complain about any problem with the room. The police arrived during our stay to arrest people here. After I complained to the Motel 6 guest relations they sent a letter to the general manager Darlene Lawrence probably expecting for her to appologize about our problems here, however she did nothing.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. The Red Roof Inn in Hilton Head is closer to the beach and is the same price. Better hotel!

Room Tip: Customer service at this hotel is the worst. They absolutely do not care about the guests and they a...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Mel V
North Augusta, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

It's only $43.99 a night plus tax which comes out to around $52. They charge a few dollars extra for 24 hour access to the wireless internet connection.

I was here two nights, and the traffic noise of I-526/Highway 17 directly across from the motel didn't even bother me half as much as the constant noise the other people staying here made. Only saying that to say this: people staying here have absolutely no respect for other people at all. The front desk staff was apologetic and said they were "probably construction workers." I doubt it. Just people with nothing better to do than get drunk and keep everyone else up all night.

The single room I was in was very basic. A bed, dresser, TV, bedside table, desk and chair. No mini refrigerator which I expected there to be, but I got over it. I liked the design of their shower, kind of a rounded shape to it. The mattress on the bed was average quality.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank tiw0000000092
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Charleston South, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear tiw0000000092
Thank you for posting your review. We apologize for the unpleasant stay you experienced as a result of the noisy conditions you encountered. The issues you experienced are not consistent with Motel 6 standards for quality, and we encourage you to contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you and other guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.
Truro, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Basic is quite acceptable but unclean is not acceptable. Couldn't stand barefoot on carpet. Under beds not been hoovered for some time. Dirty fridge surround, beds not properly made and no tea and coffee making facilities. Reception staff very friendly and shower nice and powerful but the musty smell in room made for uneasy sleeping. Stayed last fortnight in superb motels but will not be staying in another Motel 6 in the future. Wi if was extra!

Room Tip: Pay a few dollars more and stay somewhere with facilities.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple