“terrible - never come here, avoid the place like a plague - the worst motel experience ever” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 Charleston South

Motel 6 Charleston South
Ranked #57 of 59 Hotels in Charleston
Statesboro, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I saw many bad reviews, but also some positive reviews, so I figured that the place cannot be too bad. After all, it is a Motel 6, so I figured that it the place must be decent after all (I am not picky).
I came and the place was dirty, run-down, shady. In front of the reception desk there was a coffee area with coffee spilled all over it - nobody among the staff cared to clean it. IN other words, it is not that staff has to deal with a dirty old place - like some reviewers say. What I saw was lazy staff that does not care how bad the place is and makes it worse.
But the worst was to come. My wife and and I checked it, and went to the room to put our baggage in (it was around 1 pm). The room was not yet cleaned, and looked TERRIBLE, so I decided not to leave the baggage there - keep it in the car, until the room is cleaned. When I returned in the evening, somebody else was checked in our room - the staff person at the front desk was so incompetent, that he checked in another person in our room, because apparently, I was not in the system, even though I was checked in and given the keys - and PAID!!!! I asked for another room, and the receptionists did not know how to rebook me to another room, and was frantically looking for another person to do it for him - and she was not to be found, so the place was managed by one incompetent guy who did not know what he was doing (the manager apparently was fired). Then. cops arrived and the it just got worse. There was a big line of people at the front desk, the guy did not know how to handle a single problem, it was madness. I demanded a refund.
I would never stay there again, and advise anyone to stay away from the place. It is a mess...It is managed by incompetent, lazy and untrustworthy people who don't even know how to check you in. Your reservation might not work, your room can be given to someone else, etc., etc. It is more than one person - the whole crew that I encountered was incompetent.

Room Tip: Just don't go to this hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jacek L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Orange Park, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

First I have to say all the staff we encountered were very nice and helpful. I'm just sad they have to work at such a run down old place.

The bathroom was clean and recently painted but the shower had no hot water. We came in very late and my roommate wanted a shower but had to wait until morning. They send in a maintenance guy with a power drill that showed up immediately. I don't know what he did but we had hot water AND a very leaky shower. There is no tub just a shower stall and the bottom gasket leaked. Water all over the bathroom floor. I reported it to the office and we left for the day. Upon our very late return we had a wet bathroom AND a leaky shower head.

I expected them to maybe take something off the final bill but they did not.

The room was tiny tiny tiny. The double beds were each up against a wall so the space between beds was the only way to get in and out. Holes in the bedspreads, flat pillows, spongy mattress tops. If I hadn't been exhausted each night I couldn't have slept.

I found a big bug on the bedside table and the refrigerator wasn't plugged in when we arrived. We were afraid to store food in the fridge in case it never cooled down.

At $62/night it wasn't worth it. I might stay again for the bargain price of $39/night because I have dogs and I'm literally only in the room to sleep. They do take multiple dogs with no pet fee which is very appreciated.

The location is congested and there is a Piggly Wiggly across the street and a McDonalds too. Very close to the mall and a very busy street (Hwy 17). My friends on the backside of the hotel were kept awake all night with a domestic dispute and police on the scene. My side was quiet.

Again, the staff couldn't have been nicer. I think they really try but it's just hard to work with a rundown old hotel with old cheap furnishings.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank BostonTerrierX2
Savannah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This hotel is very old and located alongside a 6-lane highway and an uphill interstate on-ramp, so we heard accelerating all night long. The door to the adjacent room would not lock, the bed was squishy, the reservation was wrong (asked for non-smoking, was assigned smoking, until the front desk man fixed it), asked for another blanket and were told they didn't have any. The one towel they gave us was rough like sandpaper.

Room Tip: Spend a little more money and go elsewhere.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank caseyc248
Erie, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

My family and I often stay at Motel 6 when we travel because they welcome pets, and we usually travel with our dog. We stayed at this one for four nights with our two kids and the dog, and it was very reasonably priced at around $200 after tax for all four nights. The front desk staff was friendly and polite. The room was clean, although no maid tidied up while we were out on the second day of our stay. My bed was WELL past its prime, and the blanket was coarse cheep material, while the bed spread had tears and burn holes in it. Our real complaint was the noise, though. Being right next to a highway on-ramp and a major road, we may as well have had walls made of corrugated cardboard for as loud as it was. It was hard to fall asleep and stay asleep. As soon as morning traffic began (around 6 a.m.), I was awakened by the noise and could not go back to sleep. Overall, though, if you need a low-cost place to stay, this is a good price for what you are getting.

Room Tip: Request a room on the side farthest away from the highway to reduce noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank JordonN
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

I am a Motel 6 fan and this is the worst Motel 6 ever dirty filthy mattress uncomfortable loud seedy. There is a much McDonald's across the parking lot that's about the only good news I have about this place

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Mike E
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

It has great location with access to 2 major roads in Charleston county, Hwy. 17 and I-526. It has that West Ashley vibe, sort of "redneck," but not life-threatening or dangerous, as in North Charleston. Other reviewers have pointed out the paucity of towels and the low water pressure, so I will add that my toliet backed up and almost overflowed. Also, there was a used condom in the breeze-way close to my room. I guess they tried to flush it, but when that did not work, he just threw it outdoors. For $40 you are going to get the basic setting: a comfy bed, a small tv, free coffee, no fridge, no microwave, and WiFi for an extra charge of $2. I used to stay at the Masters Inn in Mt. Pleasant, but new owners raised the rate to $60 and it offers about the same amenities as this Motel 6. I will also add that the location is convenient to the historical district, about 5 miles down 17, and many restaurants and bars are in the area, including Bessinger's BBQ, which is award-winning Q at a decent price-- unlike the overpriced, posh joints in the downtown district.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Beachtrekr
Greensboro, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I have stayed at this Motel 6 before and will again. It is what it is. An inexpensive place for a night passing through. People expecting a frig or a microwave in a standard room at a Motel 6 obviously have no idea what the property is meant to be. The room is small, but fine. The staff is very nice and helpful It's in a good section of town near Citadel Mall, and the road access is good. Don't expect coffee in the room or hairdryers. They do have to do something to keep the rates so low. And if you need a good lunch to-go, you would be surprised how
good the deli is across the street at the Piggly-Wiggly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business