WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #56 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Savannah
“Noisy, old and crappy”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

This hotel is very old and located alongside a 6-lane highway and an uphill interstate on-ramp, so we heard accelerating all night long. The door to the adjacent room would not lock, the bed was squishy, the reservation was wrong (asked for non-smoking, was assigned smoking, until the front desk man fixed it), asked for another blanket and were told they didn't have any. The one towel they gave us was rough like sandpaper.

Room Tip: Spend a little more money and go elsewhere.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank caseyc248

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Erie, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

My family and I often stay at Motel 6 when we travel because they welcome pets, and we usually travel with our dog. We stayed at this one for four nights with our two kids and the dog, and it was very reasonably priced at around $200 after tax for all four nights. The front desk staff was friendly and polite. The room was clean, although no maid tidied up while we were out on the second day of our stay. My bed was WELL past its prime, and the blanket was coarse cheep material, while the bed spread had tears and burn holes in it. Our real complaint was the noise, though. Being right next to a highway on-ramp and a major road, we may as well have had walls made of corrugated cardboard for as loud as it was. It was hard to fall asleep and stay asleep. As soon as morning traffic began (around 6 a.m.), I was awakened by the noise and could not go back to sleep. Overall, though, if you need a low-cost place to stay, this is a good price for what you are getting.

Room Tip: Request a room on the side farthest away from the highway to reduce noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JordonN
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

I am a Motel 6 fan and this is the worst Motel 6 ever dirty filthy mattress uncomfortable loud seedy. There is a much McDonald's across the parking lot that's about the only good news I have about this place

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Mike E

Travelers are raving about these Charleston hotels

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

It has great location with access to 2 major roads in Charleston county, Hwy. 17 and I-526. It has that West Ashley vibe, sort of "redneck," but not life-threatening or dangerous, as in North Charleston. Other reviewers have pointed out the paucity of towels and the low water pressure, so I will add that my toliet backed up and almost overflowed. Also, there was a used condom in the breeze-way close to my room. I guess they tried to flush it, but when that did not work, he just threw it outdoors. For $40 you are going to get the basic setting: a comfy bed, a small tv, free coffee, no fridge, no microwave, and WiFi for an extra charge of $2. I used to stay at the Masters Inn in Mt. Pleasant, but new owners raised the rate to $60 and it offers about the same amenities as this Motel 6. I will also add that the location is convenient to the historical district, about 5 miles down 17, and many restaurants and bars are in the area, including Bessinger's BBQ, which is award-winning Q at a decent price-- unlike the overpriced, posh joints in the downtown district.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Beachtrekr
Greensboro, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

I have stayed at this Motel 6 before and will again. It is what it is. An inexpensive place for a night passing through. People expecting a frig or a microwave in a standard room at a Motel 6 obviously have no idea what the property is meant to be. The room is small, but fine. The staff is very nice and helpful It's in a good section of town near Citadel Mall, and the road access is good. Don't expect coffee in the room or hairdryers. They do have to do something to keep the rates so low. And if you need a good lunch to-go, you would be surprised how
good the deli is across the street at the Piggly-Wiggly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank CJ A
Ninety Six, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Traveled with my husband, our 8 month old daughter and my sister. Her significant other already had a room here, so we figured it would be easier for us to meet up at the end of the weekend if we got a room as well. My sister says that they had no issues with their room, with the exception of no microwave or mini-fridge. My husband, daughter and I, however, had a complete HORROR experience.

Our FIRST room was non-smoking. Although our neighbors a few doors down were smoking - outside...my husband still smelled smoke INSIDE the room. So he went to the front desk and requested a room change. We got our new room and it took us about 5 minutes to convince the door to open. That should have been a sign that our stay was going to be horrible....and it was. We were greeted by a roach on the desk, just "chilling". Only 2 bars of soap and two towels. The bathroom was somewhat decent, but the shower had another roach that apparently felt the need to be clean. The a/c either pumped out cold air or hardly any air, depending on what we set the temp on. The beds had fleas, the room had gnats and we discovered, to our horror, that the microwave that we used to warm up our breakfast in and ate housed at LEAST one roach, which crawled from between the glass and the plastic door on one side to the other and crawled back into the microwave housing. Needless to say, we checked out and luckily got a refund for our second night that we had paid for in advance and found a much nicer - AND CLEANER hotel downtown.

The only positive to this place is the front desk staff that was very friendly, both checking in and checking out....and Domino's pizza's fast delivery.

DO NOT STAY IN THIS MOTEL! ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING! CHEAP PRICING DEFINITELY DETERMINES THE QUALITY FOR THIS PLACE. WE ARE NOT STAYING AT THIS - OR ANY MOTEL 6 AGAIN! OH...AND THEIR SLOGAN "WE'LL THE LIGHT ON FOR YOU" IS A LIE. WE DEFINITELY HAD TO TURN ON IN BOTH OF OUR ROOMS.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank GinoandDanielle M
Boone NC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

My significant other and I booked one night at this motel as it was decently priced and close to the port where I needed to pick up my daughter from her cruise. The front desk staff was nice enough. The room was small but I can handle that for one night. You can forget the travel size hair dryer. There was barely enough towels for two people to shower.. The shower had NO water pressure. I was told that there was one queen bed in the room. I KNOW that was a full size bed. The front desk lady assured me that no, it was a queen. It was very loud outside .. we were kept up half the night by shady characters looming around outside drinking and partying all night.. DO NOT stay here. It was cheap, but we got what we paid for. Miserable night! There was no microwave or efficiency refrigerator. WHO in this day and time CHARGES for internet? Oh. That would be Motel 6.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family