“It is What it is” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #57 of 59 Hotels in Charleston
Greensboro, North Carolina
“It is What it is”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I have stayed at this Motel 6 before and will again. It is what it is. An inexpensive place for a night passing through. People expecting a frig or a microwave in a standard room at a Motel 6 obviously have no idea what the property is meant to be. The room is small, but fine. The staff is very nice and helpful It's in a good section of town near Citadel Mall, and the road access is good. Don't expect coffee in the room or hairdryers. They do have to do something to keep the rates so low. And if you need a good lunch to-go, you would be surprised how
good the deli is across the street at the Piggly-Wiggly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank CJ A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Ninety Six, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Traveled with my husband, our 8 month old daughter and my sister. Her significant other already had a room here, so we figured it would be easier for us to meet up at the end of the weekend if we got a room as well. My sister says that they had no issues with their room, with the exception of no microwave or mini-fridge. My husband, daughter and I, however, had a complete HORROR experience.

Our FIRST room was non-smoking. Although our neighbors a few doors down were smoking - outside...my husband still smelled smoke INSIDE the room. So he went to the front desk and requested a room change. We got our new room and it took us about 5 minutes to convince the door to open. That should have been a sign that our stay was going to be horrible....and it was. We were greeted by a roach on the desk, just "chilling". Only 2 bars of soap and two towels. The bathroom was somewhat decent, but the shower had another roach that apparently felt the need to be clean. The a/c either pumped out cold air or hardly any air, depending on what we set the temp on. The beds had fleas, the room had gnats and we discovered, to our horror, that the microwave that we used to warm up our breakfast in and ate housed at LEAST one roach, which crawled from between the glass and the plastic door on one side to the other and crawled back into the microwave housing. Needless to say, we checked out and luckily got a refund for our second night that we had paid for in advance and found a much nicer - AND CLEANER hotel downtown.

The only positive to this place is the front desk staff that was very friendly, both checking in and checking out....and Domino's pizza's fast delivery.

DO NOT STAY IN THIS MOTEL! ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING! CHEAP PRICING DEFINITELY DETERMINES THE QUALITY FOR THIS PLACE. WE ARE NOT STAYING AT THIS - OR ANY MOTEL 6 AGAIN! OH...AND THEIR SLOGAN "WE'LL THE LIGHT ON FOR YOU" IS A LIE. WE DEFINITELY HAD TO TURN ON IN BOTH OF OUR ROOMS.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank GinoandDanielle M
Boone NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

My significant other and I booked one night at this motel as it was decently priced and close to the port where I needed to pick up my daughter from her cruise. The front desk staff was nice enough. The room was small but I can handle that for one night. You can forget the travel size hair dryer. There was barely enough towels for two people to shower.. The shower had NO water pressure. I was told that there was one queen bed in the room. I KNOW that was a full size bed. The front desk lady assured me that no, it was a queen. It was very loud outside .. we were kept up half the night by shady characters looming around outside drinking and partying all night.. DO NOT stay here. It was cheap, but we got what we paid for. Miserable night! There was no microwave or efficiency refrigerator. WHO in this day and time CHARGES for internet? Oh. That would be Motel 6.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank flea_flicker
North Charleston, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I wasn't expecting much. But as soon as we pulled up, it looked shady. There was very little lighting in the parking lot, and by just turning off of Savannah Highway, it felt like we entered a different part of the city. We walked in to get our room and we had to talk through a plate of glass to a very rude and bored desk attendant. She barely spoke to or looked at us. When she did, she gave us the cards then turned her back to us. Didn't even bother to tell us where our room was.

We had to look, in the dark with very little light, at the room numbers as we drove to the back of the building. The stairs leading up were crooked and some were broken. The door to our room had dents in them as if someone had been punching it.

Still, pretty much what I had expected.

We enter to see a small room. Okay, can handle that. The a/c unit was fine, until we walked further in. Every now and then the a/c unit would rattle so loudly it sounded as if one of the parts might come bursting out of the unit. It was extremely loud.

We immediately see 3 bugs above the door, which we killed. Then we look in the microwave to find another bug crawling out and old, molded cheese. So then we look in the fridge...and find 3 month old donuts (expired in April, we went in July). We saw two more bugs in the room. The comforters had holes in them. Beneath the sink in the bathroom had a huge splotch of black, green, and white mold that was about the size of a dessert plate! The shower looked dirty, and the bathroom smelled gross. The door to the bathroom had a huge dent in it just like the room door.

We checked out about 20 minutes later and I received an e-mail a few days later from the General Manager. I reply telling him our experience and asking for a refund for that night since we didn't even stay an hour!

It has been over a week and have not heard anything back. Would absolutely NEVER recommend this place to anyone, no matter how much money you need to save. If you are expecting nothing at all and don't mind living in filth, this is fine.

I would definitely not recommend bringing kids here. It just did not feel safe. Oh, and the extra lock on the door (bar across the door that catches before it opens all the way) was loose and could easily have been broken into with a good enough push.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Kelly M
Pasadena, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

My extended family and I stayed here as a last resort when we needed to rest for the night on our way to Savannah. It was late (after 11:00 pm) and we could not find a hotel that had any vacancy. We had to wait for an hour to get into our rooms during which time a woman, who was obviously bloodied from a domestic dispute was wandering the grounds crying. My son was 10 years old at the time and completely unsettled and frightened. Needless to say this event, coupled with the absolutely abysmal condition of the room would teach me to never stay at a Motel 6 under any circumstance. The condition of the room was so bad that my sister left her room to sleep in the car after she found several unidentifiable stains on her sheets! and the smell - Ugh! The worse experience of my traveling experiences and that is saying a lot!

Room Tip: Stay Away!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Diane C
Johnson City, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

Stayed here because all hotels were booked because of the Cooper River Run and it was pet friendly. It looked fairly clean but the air was awful inside our room. If the air was off it was unbearably muggy but when it was on it felt like it was going to give you the flu with a deep chest cough. In my opinion, pay more for a nicer hotel. You only live once, you will feel better and wake up feeling clean! I will always recommend shelling out more for a better travel experience.

Room Tip: Pay more for your hotel stay. Your family will thank you for it.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
4 Thank CloverQueen
california,md
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

Stayed on the side near the road and it was loud. Rooms were ok. Tv was old. Front desk was nice. If the room didn't jump up in price. It went to 90 a night this would be a fine place for a budget travel. Rooms are worth 50 a night

• Stayed March 2012