“Missteps Galore--New Management Desperately Needed”
Review of Vespa pizzeria

Vespa pizzeria
Ranked #339 of 916 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Charleston, SC
“Missteps Galore--New Management Desperately Needed”
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I have been to Vespa a half dozen times now and each time I hope to get a meal under an hour. Still batting .000. I have asked the waiters/waitresses why it takes so loooooonnnnngggg to get a meal and have been told that their brick oven can only fit 3 small pies in it at once. Last week I went there for drinks after work with some friends. They ran out of ALL 6 of their draft beers and had run out of quite a few of their bottled beers as well. Mind you, this was BEFORE the Family Circle Cup even started. So they couldn't use it as an excuse. Because the wait staff is understaffed or overwhelmed, it takes forever and a day to order and receive a beer so I just order 2 at a time. I also ordered garlic cheese bread as an app. I waited over an hour and finally just cancelled and left. I had to do the same thing at lunch about 3 months before that. I think the waitress forgot that I was sitting outside because I never even got a refill on my water. The pizza is average at best. It pales in comparison to Orlando's Pizza right down the street. People rave about the mussels. I've had 'em--they are passable but don't stand up to amazing mussels and delicious bread combination at Queen Anne's Revenge a few blocks away. I guess the only thing remotely impressive about Vespa is the decor. Other than that, know that you've been warned.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Binski11

“Service is non-existant”
Reviewed March 29, 2012

> TERRIBLE experience there today for lunch - staff doesn't have a clue what it's doing. I had to get up and go inside to see what was taking our food so long (and it wasn't busy inside, maybe 2 or 3 tables occupied.) Then of course our food came right after that - COLD, which tells me it had been just sitting for about 15 minutes...we were served our pizza but never given any utensils OR napkins - seriously, you expect us to eat PIZZA with no napkins? - I had to get up and get myself napkins AND drink refills from the bar. I had to get up and go get myself our bill and a to-go box - never got any apology or even acknowledgement from anyone. Absolutely the worst service I've ever had anywhere!
I will stick to Brixx and Orlando's!

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank LocalDiner3
“Good gourmet pie.”
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Love the decorating style and the gourmet pies are tasty. Not my husband's favorite. He would much rather have a NY style pie and I tend to agree. But if I want to go out with the girls for pie, this is a good bet.

“So, so good!”
Reviewed November 25, 2011

There is so much to say about this restaurant! It's a pizza place and the pizza is delicious! But so is everything else! The chicken parm sandwich is amazing! Their fries are hand cut, crisp and delicious! The eggplant lasagna to die for! It's a special though...if it's available, get it! Nothing is bad here!

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Do yourself a favor”
Reviewed November 25, 2011

If you're looking for a cool hang out with great food, Vespa is it. Everything is homemade and fresh! Enjoy both outdoor and indoor seating. Enjoy one of their made to order 10" pizzas, or do yourself a favor and have the chicken parm sandwich (by far the best in Charleston). Check out the daily specials, the infused vodkas, and have a good time.

1 Thank BMcCarthy4